• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unforgivable sin?

Thesavorofpan

Is not going to save you.
I'm pretty sure that's not what AE meant. He's generally a bit more nuanced in his thoughts about Christianity.

Also, since you do seem to believe that there is an unforgiveable sin, does that mean that Jesus' death wasn't great enough to cover everything? Doesn't that seem a bit blasphemous in itself: Oh, sorry Son of God, you just endured an extremely gruesome death and defeated the forces of Satan, but it just doesn't quite cover it when someone decides to do something particularly nasty.

Paul warned the church many times saying if you stayed in sin that you would die, so if you commit sin after you ask for repentance it is mark onto you for death. The people who commit the unforgivable sin is so far from God that they don't recognized that they just committed that sin so therefore they will never repent of that sin.

Thesavorofpan

Is not going to save you.

You also claimed that suicide would be an unforgiveable sin, since you can't ask for forgiveness afterwards. By implication, you must believe that you must ask for forgiveness/repent of every single one of your sins in order for it to be forgiven. What if one slips your mind or what if you didn't know it actually was a sin? Could you just say a blanket "Please, God, forgive me for all of my sins", and since all of your sins would include your future suicide, wouldn't it be covered?

Repentance is asking for forgivness and turning away from sin. If repentance covered all your sin's God would have never told Paul to warn the churches against committing sin. So therefore it would cover your future suicide.

A

angellous_evangellous

So are you saying that Christianity allows people to be saved even if they never explicitly accept Jesus Christ, or become a Christian? That basically you just need to be a good person? How does this gel with the whole "not by works of righteousness, lest any man should boast" sort of thing? Genuinely curious here, since logician brought up the two things that destroyed my faith-- namely, that Christianity is fundamentally unfair (if explicit acceptance of Christ is required for forgiveness).

Also, in regards to the OP:
Are you saying that there really is no unforgivable sin?

Yes.

I take this view precisely because it is not by works that anyone is saved. I believe that God will judge all of us according to our works, and will admit us into both the earthly kingdom (what God is doing now) and the heavenly kingdom (what God will create) through Christ.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
How do you know if you've commited an unforgivable sin?
Communication channels closed to the supposed god?

Hebrews 6vs4-6 talks of falling away. So first one would have to have an accurate knowledge of Bible truth and willfully reject it. -Hebrews 10v26.

The religious leaders of Jesus day had Jesus the Son of God right in front of them besides the Hebrew Scriptures, so their sins would be the more willful sins leading to the unforgivable sin.

Also, apparently when Jesus comes in 'glory' to take action against those of Psalm 92v7 Jesus considers those placed at this left hand of disfavor, so to speak, of Matthew 25vs31,32,46 as having gone past the point of no returning to repentance. Only Jesus is judge of that. -Isaiah 11vs3,4.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Repentance is asking for forgivness and turning away from sin. If repentance covered all your sin's God would have never told Paul to warn the churches against committing sin. So therefore it would not cover your future suicide.
I'm assuming that "not" was supposed to be in there? Just correct if I was wrong.

Even if forgiveness covers all sin, I would assume God would ask Christians to try to not commit more sins. It's just rude. So God telling Paul to tell the Christians to not sin doesn't necessarily mean what you think it does.

I still think it's a huge insult to Jesus to claim that there is an unforgivable sin.

As for suicide, I can think of a lot worse things people can do that should be more deserving of "unforgivability". It seems strange that God would consider that sin worse than any others.

angellous_evangellous said:
Yes.

I take this view precisely because it is not by works that anyone is saved. I believe that God will judge all of us according to our works, and will admit us into both the earthly kingdom (what God is doing now) and the heavenly kingdom (what God will create) through Christ.
That is certainly more palatable.

I wonder why the other position seems to be more popular.

URAVIP2ME said:
Hebrews 6vs4-6 talks of falling away. So first one would have to have an accurate knowledge of Bible truth and willfully reject it. -Hebrews 10v26.
That's the one that I was thinking of, so therefore I assumed I was toast. :D

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
At Matthew [12v32] Jesus is the one that claims there is an unforgivable sin. So that would be no insult to Jesus. Jesus died for all [1Jn1v7], but since there are followers that willfully reject Jesus that is why Matthew [20v28] wrote that Jesus ransom covers 'many' instead of all.

There are 'two' types of sin:

Deliberate or not.
Intentional or not.
Premeditated or not.
Willful or not.
On purpose or not.

Human imperfection of mind and body does not necessarily constitute sin.
Sickness of mind can lead to suicide which is different than just planning sin or committing the unforgivable sin. Romans [6v7] covers all except for those of Matt 12v32; Heb 6vs4-6.

Satan would like all of us to think we are toast. On the other hand, God would like all of us to think of his mercy, and Christ's ransom that covers 'many'. We can choose of our own free will to follow Christ, and Satan can not take that away from anyone without their first wanting to reject Christ. -John 10v28,29.

jtartar

• LUKE 12:10, "And everyone that says a word against the Son of Man, that will be forgiven; But he that blasphemes against The Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.
  • MARK 3:29, "Whoever blasphemes against The Holy Spirit will never have forgiveness, but is guilty of everlasting sin."
  • MATTHEW 12: 31-32 "Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. And whoever shall speak a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the age to come".
I hereby renounce the holy spirit, I deny it's existence and were I find that it did exist, I would do what I could to destroy it..

Am I, according to what the bible teaches, now barred from ever entering heaven?

Satan's_ serrated edge,
I have to say that I am impressed with someone who demonstrated such bravery, or maybe stupidity. I am impressed that someone would rather die forever in the Lake of Fire, than live forever in a paradise earth. Here God is opening His hand and satisfying the desire of every living thing, Luke 23:43, Ps 145:16.

logician

The religious leaders of Jesus day had Jesus the Son of God right in front of them besides the Hebrew Scriptures, so their sins would be the more willful sins leading to the unforgivable sin.

Also, apparently when Jesus comes in 'glory' to take action against those of Psalm 92v7 Jesus considers those placed at this left hand of disfavor, so to speak, of Matthew 25vs31,32,46 as having gone past the point of no returning to repentance. Only Jesus is judge of that. -Isaiah 11vs3,4.

It seems like Christians would be almost paranoid wondering if they had commited the unforgivable sin.

I'm glad its not something I have to worry about.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
It seems like Christians would be almost paranoid wondering if they had commited the unforgivable sin.
I'm glad its not something I have to worry about.

Christians or so-called Christians?

Are the wolf-like clergy dressed in sheep's clothing that fleece the flock with false teachings not found in Scripture paranoid? No, they think they are like the religious 'queen' of Revelation [18v7] that will never see mourning or sorrow.