• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Unliftable Stone' Paradox - Logically flawed argument people make even today

firedragon

Veteran Member
Ok, but the statement a mirage is a pool of water and not a pool of water at the same time does violate laws of logic.
This is one of the most absurd assertions I have heard in my life. This is intentionally being absurd.

Making a statement is not violating laws of logic. People make stupid statements all the time. Also, a mirage is "an illusion". It's a mirage. This is exactly what I told you about. It's Maya in hindu philosophy. Just like Attha and Anattha in Buddhism. Or Athman in Hinduism.

Man. This takes the cake.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Mate. You misread my original observation, which was that humans can change or replace the laws of logic. I’ve provided an illustration of that, and I’ve provided an illustration of how nature herself appears to violate the laws of Aristotelean logic.

At this juncture it is clear you are more interested in scoring points than you are in a free exchange of ideas and perspectives, which is a shame, but all too common an experience on this forum.
There are no "points" in an anonymous forum mate. This is projection.

You are wrong about logic and hindu philosophy. That's because you have not understood it. You have just come across it.

Clizby Wampuscat

This is one of the most absurd assertions I have heard in my life. This is intentionally being absurd.

Making a statement is not violating laws of logic. People make stupid statements all the time. Also, a mirage is "an illusion". It's a mirage. This is exactly what I told you about. It's Maya in hindu philosophy. Just like Attha and Anattha in Buddhism. Or Athman in Hinduism.

Man. This takes the cake.
What is your problem? I am trying to understand something you understand. Why berate someone trying to learn?

I never said making a statement violates logic. I said the statement violates logic. How is that absurd?

muhammad_isa

I never said making a statement violates logic..
No, you didn't.
..and I agree with your post #345, where you question the value of:

3. Both true and false: The mirage appears to be a pool of water, and it is both a pool of water and not a pool of water.

You: What value does 3 and 4 bring to a truth claim? 3 is false and can be proven to be false.

Again, it's possible to question the sense/logic of a statement, but then a person might retort that it
is meant in a different 'sense' to that which is apparent .. much like a 'play on words' :)

firedragon

Veteran Member
What is your problem? I am trying to understand something you understand. Why berate someone trying to learn?

I never said making a statement violates logic. I said the statement violates logic. How is that absurd?
See, people can any time, any day, make seriously nonsensical statements. Go through this thread. Many people have made most ridiculous statements. Logically absurd statements. But none of them could in real life do a logical impossibility because it's not "a thing".

So making statements that are absurd does not mean violating a law of logic in real life.

Clizby Wampuscat

See, people can any time, any day, make seriously nonsensical statements. Go through this thread. Many people have made most ridiculous statements. Logically absurd statements. But none of them could in real life do a logical impossibility because it's not "a thing".

So making statements that are absurd does not mean violating a law of logic in real life.
I never said they did.