• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Unliftable Stone' Paradox - Logically flawed argument people make even today

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Lol. When you're ready to discuss this specific challenge dilemma, let me know. You look to me to be afraid.

I understand the dillema in my mind. Now I want to know how you know it actually applies to God and is not just some thoughts in your mind.

Just actually explain how you know it applies to God.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Did God created logic? If so, he should be able to do illogical things right? Do you believe God does miracles?
It's not about me believing in God doing miracles. A miracle by default is not a logical impossibility. You must try your best to do a simple research about logical impossibilities and physical impossibilities. It's imperative for epistemic responsibility.

Please do that. Your statement does not make any sense brother.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It's not about me believing in God doing miracles. A miracle by default is not a logical impossibility. You must try your best to do a simple research about logical impossibilities and physical impossibilities. It's imperative for epistemic responsibility.

Please do that. Your statement does not make any sense brother.

Please explain how in effect your knolwedge applies to God. I.e. as per logical impossibilities and physical impossibilities.
How do you know they apply to God? Do your epistemic responsibility and explain that?!!

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
One can define God as the one who makes all rules and limitations in God's creation. So God can exist within God's limitations, or outside them all and thus be able to lift any rock outside those limitations, and not be able to lift any rock inside those limitations. God can exist both ways since God is omni.

Logical impossibility is not an option since that would mean God can do nonsensical things. As an atheist I recognize this.

Just because God can be defined in any logically consistent way does not prove that God exists. Not everything logical is existent. You have to show that the logic applies to what is known to exist.

Now if we define God as a master creator with perfect character who exists in all possible worlds then by reason of the nature we find ourselves in we can conclude rather easily that this is false.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Did God created logic? If so, he should be able to do illogical things right? Do you believe God does miracles?

That's irrelevant. This is the atheist's "omnipotence paradox". Yes, God can theoretically be illogical and make miracles happen, but that has nothing to do with showing whether or not absolute omnipotence cannot exist or is paradoxical.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
No .. it seems to be human reasoning that is limited. :)

Some people can't seem to realize that making nonsensical statements, or asking nonsensical
questions are not what theists are referring to, when they say G-d is Omnipotent.
..or so they claim (not to realize) ;)
Seems that it is usually gods followers who are the ones so quick to limit god.
I have lost count the number of times I have been told that god cannot lie.
Can not interfere with free will

firedragon

Veteran Member
God can theoretically be illogical and make miracles happen,
Brother. That's a fallacious statement by definition. A miracle is not "illogical". There is no way that could be justified.

No offense. Just making a statement.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Just because God can be defined in any logically consistent way does not prove that God exists. Not everything logical is existent. You have to show that the logic applies to what is known to exist.
I respect your thought. But you should understand that this thread is not about the existence or non-existence of God. It's about the "topic of the OP".

But I agree with your statement that "Not everything logical is existent". That's a very pertinent statement and I believe most of us must reflect upon that statement. It's so profound, and thought I do not make this claim, maybe even you do not understand how profound your own statement is. But that's just speculation since you made that statement passingly. But it could be that you do understand how profound your own statement is, but you have gone beyond it so you think it's simple and you expect others to understand like ABC.

Now if we define God as a master creator with perfect character who exists in all possible worlds then by reason of the nature we find ourselves in we can conclude rather easily that this is false.
The logic of the OP is by default existence in all possible worlds. But the second part of your statement "easily this is false", I do not understand. Please elaborate when you get time.

firedragon

Veteran Member
No .. it seems to be human reasoning that is limited. :)

Some people can't seem to realize that making nonsensical statements, or asking nonsensical
questions are not what theists are referring to, when they say G-d is Omnipotent.
..or so they claim (not to realize) ;)
You know, I have always wondered why people say "G-d" with a hyphen. I know this is not related to the topic at hand, but if you don't mind, why is that?

TransmutingSoul

May God's Will be Done
Premium Member
Please explain how in effect your knolwedge applies to God. I.e. as per logical impossibilities and physical impossibilities.
How do you know they apply to God? Do your epistemic responsibility and explain that?!!
God can only be known through the Messengers. They are the appointed "Self of God" they are the proof, they are the example, they are the Logic, they are the Cause.

Regards Tony

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

rather easily? What is it that you are concluding is false? By reason of nature?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
You know, I have always wondered why people say "G-d" with a hyphen. I know this is not related to the topic at hand, but if you don't mind, why is that?
I could be wrong but I think it's because they are avoiding spelling out God.

TransmutingSoul

May God's Will be Done
Premium Member
J

My understanding is that It is about not speaking the Holy name of G_d, which is above mention and praise.

Regards Tony

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Writing "G-d" instead of God is a fairly recent custom in America. Many believe this to be a sign of respect, and the custom comes from an interpretation of the commandment in Deuteronomy 12:3-4 regarding the destruction of pagan altars. According to the medieval commentator, Rashi, we should not erase or destroy God’s name and should avoid writing it. In a Responsa (legal opinion) by the Central Conference of American Rabbis, the primary prohibition against erasure of the name God applies to the sacred names in a written text of Torah. With the advent of computers and the internet, rabbinic authorities have debated whether or not this applies to what is typed on a computer or read on a screen. Most have concurred that it does not apply.​
The bulk of Jewish legal opinion agrees that the law applies only to the written name of God when written in Hebrew and not when written in other languages. Reform Jewish practice reflects this opinion. Some Jews will avoid discarding paper or books in which God’s name appears in Hebrew. Rather than being thrown out or destroyed, they may be stored in a genizah (a storage place) and buried in a Jewish cemetery.​

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

It's Jewish. It's avoiding the necessity for proper disposal.

If this were a written correspondence, once a divine name is written, there is a proper method for disposing of the paper. It's out of respect for the divine names of "The-Most-High". The word God is not a divine name, but, the word God, among Jews, was written in the form of G-d as a way to stay in the habit of keeping the divine names sacred. If a person gets into the habit of casually referring to God, then, they will perhaps also accidentally, casually start writing the other divine names. And casually disposing of it, etc...

However, on the internet, this is no longer a problem. It's not at all the same as a written piece of paper. And, like I said, the word God is not a divine name anyway. When conversing with non-Jews, people get confused, so many of us in the Orthodox community have stopped hyphenating in mixed company.