• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Adam Jewish?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It came up in another thread.

Apparently, being Jewish is so much more than a blood line.

In the New testament, the lineage of Jesus is shown all the way back to Adam.
Please correct me...if this is not so.

If it is...then to which should we place the greater value?
To bloodline and heritage?...or to culture and text?

Adam was way before Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Judah. So no, Adam was not a Jew- or wouldn't be if he were a literal person. :)

Paranoid Android

Thankfully, Adam and Eve practiced Dementheology. Both of them had disabilities and are in Heaven, of course.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
No of course Adam wasn't a Jew, he wasn't even real, its just a metaphor, which can be seen as a good metaphor if seen in the right way, this is how I see it.

NulliuSINverba

Yet your argument seems to revolve around the description of a blood line, no?

I believe the alleged lineage of Jesus goes back at least one more rung before Adam, doesn't it?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that (assuming for the sake of argument that he existed in the first place) Adam wasn't Jewish, because that identity simply didn't exist at that time. Besides, his genitalia wasn't ritually mutilated modified to suit the seemingly whimsical preferences of an allegedly omnipotent creator being.

No need to take my word for it. Read all about it here. For starters.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Yet your argument seems to revolve around the description of a blood line, no?

I believe the alleged lineage of Jesus goes back at least one more rung before Adam, doesn't it?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that (assuming for the sake of argument that he existed in the first place) Adam wasn't Jewish, because that identity simply didn't exist at that time. Besides, his genitalia wasn't ritually mutilated modified to suit the seemingly whimsical preferences of an allegedly omnipotent creator being.

No need to take my word for it. Read all about it here. For starters.
nice approach.....
and I often refer to Wiki, even though many posters here don't consider it a sure reference.

I do think Man was well into population as per Chapter One.
Go forth be fruitful, multiply, dominate all things.
No names, no law, no garden....Man as a species.

I suspect, God saw Man as a creature able to overrun the planetary resources before the spiritual portion would "gel".

So...Chapter Two, an event of manipulation.
body, mind and spirit.
THEN more manipulation.
Eve is a clone (not born of woman.....no navel)
Adam was given his twin sister for a bride.

Now some people think I go too far .......but I didn't write Genesis.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No of course Adam wasn't a Jew, he wasn't even real, its just a metaphor, which can be seen as a good metaphor if seen in the right way, this is how I see it.
Someone had to be first to walk with God.
That would be Adam.

if you prefer another scripture and namesake......I don't mind.
for no matter how you work it.....

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

I doubt there was an Adam. But if we were to talk about him as a theological character he would not be Jewish. The first Jew was Abraham as he set up the first covenant with god. This covenant was the mark of the Jewish people theologically and no one before had ever had this same covenant. So no, the theological character of Adam was not a Jew.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I doubt there was an Adam. But if we were to talk about him as a theological character he would not be Jewish. The first Jew was Abraham as he set up the first covenant with god. This covenant was the mark of the Jewish people theologically and no one before had ever had this same covenant. So no, the theological character of Adam was not a Jew.
as I noted previously.....
that would be Adam.

If you prefer another name and scripture.....fine.

Someone had to be first.

and the item of name is of Jewish culture?

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
as I noted previously.....
that would be Adam.

If you prefer another name and scripture.....fine.

Someone had to be first.

and the item of name is of Jewish culture?
The Jewish culture/religion what have you by its own record states that it began with Abraham when the first covenant was created with god. Adam existed in a time where there was not a Jewish specific covenant between man an god. Ergo he was not a Jew.

Agricola aka Pam34

B'net refugee
'Judaism' (which is the name for the religious practice/worldview of the Jewish people) basically doesn't really get properly begun until Sinai. The people who were present there were a mixed multitude, which included, but was not restricted to, the lineal descendants of Abraham, who is sometimes called 'the first Jew' but that is a retroactive title. He was a Hebrew. His descendants were Hebrews. The mixed multitude at Sinai included a lot of Hebrews - plus some Egyptians, and who knows what else. But at Sinai the people there became 'a nation'. They were first called 'the children of Israel' (a grandson of Abraham) or 'B'nai Yisroel' (compare the common Arabic/middle eastern nomenclature for a tribe) and 'Israelites'. The first well established royal line, after a kingdom was established, was from the tribe of Judah (which gave that tribe a lot of status), and when the kingdom broke apart, the northern part was known as Israel and the southern part as Judah (the southern kingdom was mostly Judah plus lesser numbers of several other tribes).
The northern kingdom was destroyed and the people scattered, but the southern kingdom, though conquered, was re-established as a province of the Persian empire. Once Alexander romped around the whole known world, and Greek became ubiquitous, 'Judah' (which is pronounced 'yehudah') became known as 'Judea' (pronounced 'yehudeah') and the people became 'Judeans '(yehudean) aka 'Jews' (yehudi).
five cents, please, for the history lesson.

leibowde84

Veteran Member

Since there is absolutely no reason to believe the "bloodline" claim, I'll go with culture and text. And, since these things didn't exist when Adam was supposedly living, he couldn't have been Jewish.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
He was a Hebrew.
Unless, of course, he wasn't (and assuming, of course, that he actually existed). My working assumption is the 'Hebrew' had a much narrower meaning and referred to those who came up from the south, bringing their YHYH-cult with them, and helped catalyzed Israelite ethnogenesis.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Unless, of course, he wasn't (and assuming, of course, that he actually existed). My working assumption is the 'Hebrew' had a much narrower meaning and referred to those who came up from the south, bringing their YHYH-cult with them, and helped catalyzed Israelite ethnogenesis.
The "Jesus" they are referring to, real or not, was Jewish though. Or, at least what is considered as such today. But, it's all so unsubstantiated, it is ludicrous to argue anything but "we don't know".

Agricola aka Pam34

B'net refugee

Just to clarify - ABRAHAM was a 'Hebrew'. Adam was just a human person. Not a Jew. Not a 'Hebrew'. Just a human (actually, 'he' is probably just a personification representing all mankind/humans, and not a real person in the first place, but for the sake of argument - Adam was a human person).

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I was referring to the chatactature of Jesus in the Gospels. That's why I used quotations around Jesus and said "real or not".

I suppose that would depend on ones interpretation of the Gospels. In some sense, Jesus 'Jewish', in them, however, that does not say very much considering the context, as a whole. Add in almost any other Xian context, and I would say, although 'Jewish', in the man sense, saying that Jesu was Jewish in the modern sense is a awkward statement/

This also brings us to the question, did anyone say that Jesus wasn't Jewish?