• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Islam spread by the sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The Israelites were going to invade Canaan, because was part of the covenant made to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, (as well as to Moses in the Exodus) that the land of Canaan will belong to the descendants of the 3 patriarchs of Genesis.
What the Canaanites have done to Israelites? Why invasion by the Israelites without any aggression done by the innocent Canaanites?
Regards

Moishe3rd

Yehudi

Muhammad, or more precisely his warriors/followers went about destroying idols of other religions. Not satisfied with winning Mecca's surrender, his army went through eastern Arabia, and they began destroying more idols.

That's not the sign of religious freedom or religious tolerance.

If Muhammad truly wanted peace, he didn't need an army. If he wanted religious freedom, he didn't need to destroy idols.
So? Nu?
Islam has no special status as having been "spread by the sword."
I was pointing out that Muhammad spread his religion in a specifically Arab tribal manner which, overall, was no different from any other religion; culture; state; or peoples on planet Earth.
I wasn't referring to "peace" or "tolerance."

MARCELLO

Transitioning from male to female
So? Nu?
I was pointing out that Muhammad spread his religion in a specifically Arab tribal manner which, overall, was no different from any other religion; culture; state; or peoples on planet Earth.
Please enjoy your pointlessness, wish you could. If you are a jew....

RAYYAN

Proud Muslim
The statement "Islam spread by sword" has no historical evidence at all. mostly Islam spread eastwards and not west, there was Islamic conquest in India, but again Islam was never a majority religion in that country. There was Islamic conquest in (Currently) Spain and there was never mass conversion to Islam there.

Whenever there is Islamic conquest, there was no mass conversion.

MARCELLO

The statement "Islam spread by sword" has no historical evidence at all. mostly Islam spread eastwards and not west, there was Islamic conquest in India, but again Islam was never a majority religion in that country. There was Islamic conquest in (Currently) Spain and there was never mass conversion to Islam there.

What about Spain?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member

Then how did Islam become the 2nd largest religion in he world without converts?????????
Read some history about Islam's use of invasion and war to convert indigiounst people.

RAYYAN

Proud Muslim
you need to understand what I posted before making foolish statement just like what you did, I didn't say there was no conversion, what I said was, in the areas where there was an Islamic conquest, there was no mass conversion. the mass conversions happened in areas where there was no Islamic conquest like the east

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Was Islam spread by the sword?
No.
For example:
Spread of Islam in Anguilla:

This article is about thedemographicfeatures of thepopulationofAnguilla, includingpopulation density,ethnicity, education level, health of the populace, economic status, religious affiliations and other aspects of the population.Population[edit]
The estimated mid-year population of 2014 is 14,500 (medium fertility scenario of The 2012 Revison of the World Population Prospects).[3]

Population pyramidof Anguilla.

72% of the population is Anguillian while 28% is non-Anguillian (2001 census). Of the non-Anguillian population, many are citizens of theUnited States,United Kingdom,St Kitts & Nevis, theDominican Republic,JamaicaandNigeria.
2006 and 2007 saw an influx of large numbers ofChinese,Indian, andMexicanworkers, brought in as labour for major tourist developments due to the local population not being large enough to support the labour requirements.

Ethnic groups[edit]

The majority of residents (85.3%) are black, the descendants of slaves transported from Africa. Growing minorities include Chinese/Oriental (up 43, 0.5% total), East Indian (up 45, 1.0% total) and Hispanics (up 668, 4.9%).[6]Because of this, the percentage of Blacks and Whites are declining rapidly, with Blacks going from 90.1% to 85.3% and whites dropping to 3.2% from 3.74%.

Religion[edit]

Anguilla is predominantly Christian, with more than 85% identifying themselves with a denomination of Christianity. The major denomination of Christianity in Anguilla as of the 2011 Census Anglicans with 22.7%(down 236). Other large Christian denominations are:
· 19.4% Methodist(down 106)
· 8.3% Seventh-Day Adventist(up 261)
· 7.1% Baptist(up 128)
· 6.8% Roman Catholic(up 266)
Migration has also resulted in various other religions to make a presence in Anguilla, with 1.3% coming from the following Religious Groups:

Religion

Rastafarian 2001 Census: 85 2011 Census:74
Hinduism 2001 Census : 45 2011 Census: 58
Islam 2001 Census : 36 2011 Census: 43
Judaism 2001 Census: 16 2011 Census: 19

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Anguilla#Religions_.282007.29

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Anguilla.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Empirical evidence provides which theory is more likely.
In science the anomalies or differences are removed by verification ( with experiments) from nature - the work of G-d .
In religion the difference are removed by verification from the Word of G-d.
Regards

leibowde84

Veteran Member
In science the anomalies or differences are removed by verification ( with experiments) from nature - the work of G-d .
In religion the difference are removed by verification from the Word of G-d.
Regards
Science doesn't acknowledge or recognize the existence of God, though.

gnostic

The Lost One
What the Canaanites have done to Israelites? Why invasion by the Israelites without any aggression done by the innocent Canaanites?
You have said earlier in another thread that you have read the OT bible from cover to cover. But it seem like you have never read it before. Are you lying to me about what you have read?

I don't agree with what I understand about what is written.

If you have read at least from Genesis to Joshua, you should know that God had promised this land - Canaan - in a covenant to the 3 patriarchs - Abraham, Isaac and Jacob - will be given to the descendants of Jacob (also named Israel). Hence the land was to given to the 12 tribes of Israel.

Is this ringing any bell?

By the time of Moses, God was beginning to fulfill his part of the covenant to the 3 patriarchs, and that mean getting the Israelites out of Egypt and into Canaan, but because of the sins that the Israelites had committed the current generations of Israelites that left Egypt, will not enter Canaan, with the exception of Joshua and Eleazar, until 40 years later.

Even Moses couldn't enter Canaan, but Joshua was appointed as Moses' successor and the "new prophet" (Deuteronomy 18:18).
Deuteronomy 31:1-8 said:
1 When Moses had finished speaking all these words to all Israel, 2 he said to them: “I am now one hundred twenty years old. I am no longer able to get about, and the Lord has told me, ‘You shall not cross over this Jordan.’ 3 The Lord your God himself will cross over before you. He will destroy these nations before you, and you shall dispossess them. Joshua also will cross over before you, as the Lord promised.4 The Lord will do to them as he did to Sihon and Og, the kings of the Amorites, and to their land, when he destroyed them. 5 The Lord will give them over to you and you shall deal with them in full accord with the command that I have given to you. 6 Be strong and bold; have no fear or dread of them, because it is theLord your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you.”

7 Then Moses summoned Joshua and said to him in the sight of all Israel: “Be strong and bold, for you are the one who will go with this people into the land that the Lord has sworn to their ancestors to give them; and you will put them in possession of it. 8 It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”

It is God who directed them from Moses to lead the Israelites from Egypt to Jordan river, and it was God who advised Joshua, who to attack (Book of Joshua). So according to Joshua (book), God is ultimately responsible for the attacks on these so-called "innocent" Canaanites.

If you had actually read the Torah plus the book of Joshua, you would know all this. If you have read these 5 books, then you would know that God was the one who told them who to attack, which lands were to given which tribe.

If you want to blame why are the Israelites attacking these innocent Canaanites, then blame it on God, this Allah that you worship.

Now stop lying to me. Did you really read all of the bible, from cover to cover? If you did, then you really should know all this that the invasion of Canaan was sponsored by God himself, because of this covenant to Abraham.

I don't even believe this invasion took place, and I don't think Abraham, Moses, Joshua exist. But I do understand the story that began with Adam in Genesis, all the way to Joshua's death, and how the covenant to Abraham, is tied to the invasion of Canaan and settlement of the Israelites in their respective tribal lands - as part of the fulfillment to the covenant.

That you would even ask the questions about the invasions in such manner, only demonstrates to me that you haven't read these 5 books.

Last edited:

Moishe3rd

Yehudi
Please enjoy your pointlessness, wish you could. If you are a jew....
The problem with nihilist drinking is that the words left out of sentences, when you have reached your state of stewed satori, are probably the words that might actually explain what you mean....

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
So? Nu?
Thanks.
Islam/Quran/Muhammad is peaceful and a pragmatic religion and used sword sparingly against the aggressors who denied freedom of religion to Muhammad and his followers.
Regards

MARCELLO

The problem with nihilist drinking is that the words left out of sentences, when you have reached your state of stewed satori, are probably the words that might actually explain what you mean....
ignore list. I don't have to waste my time for someone like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.