• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus a Mystic?

Wannabe Yogi

the 'expanded awareness' in this case is the knowledge that she was destined to be the mother of God. It is divine psychosis to be impregnated by an angel, imagine a pregnant woman trying to tell that to a psychiatrist.

Similarly with Abraham, he hears the voice of God telling him to murder his own son Isaac, that is a clear case of divine psychosis, it is divine because it involves the voice of God, it is psychotic because it is a man hearing a voice in his head compelling him to commit arbitrary, gruesome murder = divine psychosis. And this one of the foundational events of judaism, Abraham's mystical encounter

I would not define the two above examples of historic documents of mystic experiences. I see them as Mythic teachings. Two different things.

Student of X

Paradigm Shifter
Have you studied and practiced all the mystic paths that ever existed in depth to arrive at this conclusion?

No, of course not. :)

I've studied comparative mysticism, comparative religion, comparative mythology, parapsychology, analytical psychology. That is how I arrived at my opinion.

Every mystic path is the right path for someone and the wrong path for someone else. No path is right for everyone. But so far I agree with Underhill when she said, "Christian philosophy, especially that Neoplatonic theology which, taking up and harmonizing all that was best in the spiritual intuitions of Greece, India, and Egypt, was developed by the great doctors of the early and mediaeval Church, supports and elucidates the revelations of the individual mystic as no other system of thought has been able to do."

maxfreakout

I would not define the two above examples of historic documents of mystic experiences. I see them as Mythic teachings. Two different things.

i agree that neither are historical, both are mythic

but what all myths do, is describe mystical experiences, so the story of abraham is describing a mystical experience (a man hearing the voice of God), as is the story of Mary (a woman hearing the voice of an angel). These are mythic stories, which recount mystical experiences (as all myths do)

Wannabe Yogi

i agree that neither are historical, both are mythic

but what all myths do, is describe mystical experiences, so the story of abraham is describing a mystical experience (a man hearing the voice of God), as is the story of Mary (a woman hearing the voice of an angel). These are mythic stories, which recount mystical experiences (as all myths do)

I understand your point now.