• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was the Buddha a vegetarian?

MountainPine

Deuteronomy 30:16
Yep it's microbial. Mostly obtained by ingesting feces , insects and organic matter that contains the bacteria and any trace amount that comes with ingesting plants. Plants tend to not carry enough of the microbes to warrant a significant enough amount to produce b12 so it had to be obtained somewhere else. Pretty gross but effective enough source for a wandering herbivore as per the abstract.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7354869

Maybe not washing the veggies is a good thing in a natural environment? ....

I think there is only one other source where the bacteria is present other than animal. A specific algae called
Chlorella.

Dunno how long that's been around on an evolutionary scale nor the demographic as to weither it's widespread or localised making it worth considering as a primary source.

You can get enough B12 by eating shiitake mushrooms and drinking plant milks fortified with B12. The RDA for B12 is 3 micrograms a day, and the body’s cells are extremely conservative and efficient in its use. Only waste bile actually disposes of the body’s B12 stores, meaning, essentially, that B12 loss only actually happens by way of consumption of animal proteins, as that is what causes excess bile production.

buddhist

:) Buddhist, you have a lot to understand. Buddha is my guru, one of the two (the other is the first Sankaracharya). Buddha and Sankaracharya, it is a deadly combination. He gave me 'Kalama Sutta', i.e., the way to differentiate between truth and falsehood. He, for Hindus, is the ninth and the latest avatara of Lord Vishnu. I do not think you can own the whole of Gautama, the Buddha, and leave nothing for Hindus. As @ShivaFan has repeatedly said, Buddha was a Hindu. If you do not understand Buddhism then what else can I do but to try to explain it to you? :D
Repeatedly saying that the Buddha was a Hindu does not make it true. IMO Buddhism grew out of Vedism, just like Hinduism grew out of Vedism. "If you do not understand Buddhism then what else can I do but to try to explain it to you? :D"

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Repeatedly saying that the Buddha was a Hindu does not make it true. IMO Buddhism grew out of Vedism, just like Hinduism grew out of Vedism. "If you do not understand Buddhism then what else can I do but to try to explain it to you? :D"
Buddhism did not grow out of Vedic relgion. It was from the indigenous religious thoughts (now termed as Hinduism). It was against Vedic religion. Hinduism has many stories of conflict with Vedic religion, I hope you know one or two: 1. Destruction of Daksha's yajna by Shiva 2. Defeat of Indra by Krishna when he lifted Govardhan mountain to save people of Vraja from Indra's deluge 3. Branding of Indra as a sexual criminal and stopping his worship. Mahavira and Buddha were part of the same struggle against Brahmanism.

buddhist

Buddhism did not grow out of Vedic relgion. It was from the indigenous religious thoughts (now termed as Hinduism). It was against Vedic religion. Hinduism has many stories of conflict with Vedic religion, I hope you know one or two: 1. Destruction of Daksha's yajna by Shiva 2. Defeat of Indra by Krishna when he lifted Govardhan mountain to save people of Vraja from Indra's deluge 3. Branding of Indra as a sexual criminal and stopping his worship. Mahavira and Buddha were part of the same struggle against Brahmanism.
We'll agree to disagree then.

I could also say that Buddhism always existed, since it is said that there have been endless Buddhas across the eons, and that all other religions (including Hinduism) are newcomers to the scene, only beginning with the birth of Brahma in this eon (DN1). ;)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Oh yeah, Kassapa also was a partial avatara of Lord Vishnu; Same with Rishabha of the Jains. Indic religions are too intertwined to be separated. :)

MountainPine

Deuteronomy 30:16
Do you travel in motor vehicles? Do you walk around with a broom in hand to brush away all potential insects that might come across your path?

Totally irrelevant. Don't change the subject. If you need to murder to live, like you claim, then it means you're a privation against nature. I don't believe what you said about your genetic disorder is correct, otherwise it is better to be malnourished than to continue to take another life so you can preserve yours, but it is not human nature in any circumstance to constantly depend on flesh to live. Humans are frugivores by nature.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's always irksome when people come on touting the vegetarian high road as being morally superior coupled with an inflated sense of aggrandizement over a person's eating choices.

We are among the most humane preditors on the face of the planet collectively speaking. Extreme examples notwithstanding.

buddhist

it is better to be malnourished than to continue to take another life so you can preserve yours, but it is not human nature in any circumstance to constantly depend on flesh to live.
As far as I'm concerned, you've created your own new vegan/vegetarianism religion, with your own interpretations about Buddha and of Jesus - and that's fine, you cannot be anything but be true to your understanding.

My understanding, however, of these following texts (which I uphold as canonical) are different, and I am true to my interpretations and understanding:

Buddha:
-- "'Bhante, my pork embellished with jujubes is agreeable. Let the Blessed One accept it from me, out of compassion.” The Blessed One accepted ..." AN 5.44
-- "Devadatta spoke thus to the Lord: “Lord, the Lord in many a figure speaks in praise of desiring little … whoever should eat fish and flesh, sin would besmirch him.' [The Buddha answered:] "Enough, Devadatta,” he said. “Fish and flesh are pure in respect of three points: if they are not seen, heard or suspected (to have been killed on purpose for him).”" Pi tv kd17
-- [The arahant nun Uppalavanna took an offering of meat given to her] ", and went to her dwelling place. When the night was over, she got hold of the meat and made a bundle with her upper robe. She then rose into the air and appeared in the Bamboo Grove. When she arrived the Master had already entered a village to collect almsfood, but Venerable Udāyī had been left behind to look after the monastery. Uppalavaṇṇā approached Venerable Udāyī and said: “Bhante, where is the Master?” “He has entered a village to collect almsfood.” “Bhante, please give this meat to the Master.” “You will please the Master with that meat."" (Pi Tv Bu Vb NP 5)

Jesus: "And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb. And he took it, and did eat before them." Luke 24:42,43

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I personally don't care what the Buddha was, I don't worship his body, the Buddha is no different than anyone else, he achieved nothing that we all haven't got already,he was simply an example of what we all are.;......that is if we realized it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I personally don't care what the Buddha was, I don't worship his body, the Buddha is no different than anyone else, he achieved nothing that we all haven't got already,he was simply an example of what we all are.;......that is if we realized it.
That's pretty much it. =0)

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
As far as I'm concerned, you've created your own new vegan/vegetarianism religion, with your own interpretations about Buddha and of Jesus - and that's fine, you cannot be anything but be true to your understanding.

Meanwhile your main concern seems to be self-justification of your meat-craving, and the only arguments you produce are straw-men.

You apparently have little regard for the first precept, Right Livelihood, Right Intention ( harmlessness ), Right Mindfulness, and so on.

buddhist

Meanwhile your main concern seems to be self-justification of your meat-craving, and you apparently have little regard for the first precept, Right Livelihood, Right Intention, Right Mindfulness, and so on.
No. I have great regard for the Precepts, I just happen to disagree with your interpretation of those precepts.