• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

weapons laws

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Well what do you think of them? Are there any that you find neccessary, any that you think go too far, any that you wish were/weren't in place?

(I know it's not much to go one right now but I had the idea and wanted to get out there before going to bed so I'm really tired but I can add more later if necessary.)

weapons are awsom, the only down side is they have occationaly been known to harm people

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Weapons are cool. But as a government it's your duty to ensure safety for your people.

Allowing guns but only with licences and registering guns is a nice solution in my head. Like that you are at least stopping the 16 year old "cool look at my gun I let my brother buy for meh", yet you are giving free passage to the "appareantly I can only protect with killingmachines, as I am secretly a wuss instead of a ninja like BBB"

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
It's not the guns that kill, it's the people using the gun......I think weapons are great if used properly and securely stored away from children and only supervised use by most teens....and a safety course should be given before anyone uses or accepts responsibility for owning and using a firearm. I also think that the concealed and carry gun law is good.....:cool:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I strongly dislike guns. Following independence it was decided our police should not be armed, this was a courageous decision. The Gardai (police) remained unarmed through the civil war and the recent troubles, it is something I am really proud of.
It is demonstrably (i.e with gun murder per 100,000 rates) the case that gun control is in the interest of the greater good.

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
I strongly dislike guns. Following independence it was decided our police should not be armed, this was a courageous decision. The Gardai (police) remained unarmed through the civil war and the recent troubles, it is something I am really proud of.
It is demonstrably (i.e with gun murder per 100,000 rates) the case that gun control is in the interest of the greater good.

Not true for our case. American proportion of gun deaths per 100,000 does not correlate specifically downwards with gun control laws in most cases.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I'd like to hear some opinions on the other weapons laws as well. Don't feel you need to limit yourself to just guns.

Nessa Nenharma

Goddess of my Domain
Weapons are beautiful, it's the people using them I'm not so sure about :help:.

If you think about it, anything can become a weapon. I had a great-grandma who was punched repeatedly in the face by my (not quite so sober) great-grandpa. She warned him that that would be the last time he would ever lay a hand on her and he laughed it off. She said "You gotta sleep sometime". When he went to bed that night she torn his head up with a cast iron pan. Needless to say that was the last time he ever hit her :).

The point is I can pick up a baseball bat, rolling pin, soldering iron, pots and pans and they can all be considered a weapon. So I am opposed to weapons laws of any kind (I'm kind of partial to my mixer ya know :) ).

:bb:

Nessa

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Back home in Massachusetts, almost everything is illegal... however that doesn't stop much except for the responsible people. A friend of mine had to jump through so many hoops for years before getting the license to carry a gun concealed, but my brother in law up here in Maine just had to take a class and have a background check.

Personally though, I don't care for guns.. I like bladed items :drool:. At home, all I could really have (without a license, and being under-age at the time) was a little pocket knife. The blades on folding knives can't have a spring and must be less than 3.5 inches long.

In terms of the laws in place, I think it would be great if weapons were kept out of the hands of the irresponsible people, but no system is perfect unfortunately.

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
I would argue weapons have many uses and have many functions besides the obvious jobs of cutting, slicing, penetration, and potentially killing. A knife for example is a weapon. Yet it is one of the most versitile. If you speak of weapons like the sword - it is much apart of cultures as anything. Take the Japanese Katanas for example. If you look at guns, they too have many functions. Self protection, recreation, public protection, liberty, and potentially harm.

The idea is that there are more good people. So if we let everyone have the choice of owning weapons, there would be more good people with weapons. If we did the opposite - there would be more bad people with weapons.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
I think guns should be very strictly controlled and you must have a reason to own one. Handguns should be totally banned as the only purpose they really serve is for killing other people. At least with shotguns and rifles people use them for recreation, hunting, clay pigeon shooting etc. The less guns that are about the safer everyone is.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
In the following thread, I've shown that what you say is contrary to reality.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/european-politics/67105-gun-control-out-control-england.html

I replied to that thread too. It seems that no direct correlation between gun ownership percentage of population and murder rates exist in the USA.

Firearm Ownership vs. Murder Rate | The Real Gun Guys

Of course, statistics can be manipulated, but this is a gun enthusiast blog, not an anti-gun group.

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
I think guns should be very strictly controlled and you must have a reason to own one. Handguns should be totally banned as the only purpose they really serve is for killing other people. At least with shotguns and rifles people use them for recreation, hunting, clay pigeon shooting etc. The less guns that are about the safer everyone is.

You live in a small country and your argument is wrong for American standards.

From my thread: http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...3-arguments-against-all-gun-control-laws.html

Argument: Gun control laws do not deter criminals - it only hinders the rights of the good people to self-protection while undermining the 2nd Amendment & the Constitution. Simply put - fear the government and those who fear your guns. People blaming guns for crimes is like Rosie O'Donald blaming her fork because she is fat.

Why would a criminal who would break the law in killing, stealing, and harming follow gun control laws?

Guns & crimes:

Gun control laws do not protect the public. Instead, they only hinder the right of the good people to self-protection while doing nothing to curb criminals of that very same advantage. Criminals who are willing to break the law in committing murder, larceny, assault, robbery, and other crimes will not be deterred by gun control laws. Only the law-abiding citizens will be prohibited from self-protection.

Imagine that you are a criminal. You will commit crimes - it's not a question of if or when, but where. If you would use a gun to threaten to harm in the course of your crime, which city, state, or county would you choose to commit your crime:

1) In a place that allows everyone to carry guns - even concealed weapons?
or
2) In a place where guns are banned or extremely restricted?

Rebuttal to "Guns control laws reduce crime" argument:
  • New Jersey adopted what sponsors described as "the most stringent gun law" in the nation in 1966; two years later, the murder rate was up 46 percent and the reported robbery rate had nearly doubled. Source
  • In 1976, Washington, D.C., enacted one of the most restrictive gun control laws in the nation. Since then, the city's murder rate has risen 134 percent while the national murder rate has dropped 2 percent. Source
Banning of handguns:

Our 2nd Amendment ensures that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. Banning a gun as practical as the handgun infringes our right. According to "The Bureau of Justice" only 115,308 of the prison population are women and over 1,479,726 are men. Simply put - guns don't kill people, women don't kill people, men kill people.

Majority of women are physically weaker than the majority of men. The ability for women to own handguns and concealed weapons is a specific case where handguns are beneficial in curbing crime. Simply allowing everyone to carry concealed weapons has positive externalities. What rapist would rape a woman if he knew that there is a 50-50% chance that a woman may be carrying? All women do not even have to carry - the simple fact that a law allows them to carry is enough to deter. Now imagine the opposite.

Gun control laws will not stop a rapist or a home burglar or a murderer - but I will bet you that a .45 to their heads will. __________________

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I don't remember the name but I do remember hearing about a city in the U.S. that required every citizen, of I believe 18 years or older, to own a gun and that this city also has the lowest crime rate in the country. I don't know if this is necesarily true but if it is it would certainly seem to support those who are against gun control. Does anyone here know of what city I'm talking about or if this is even true or not?

Poisonshady313

I don't remember the name but I do remember hearing about a city in the U.S. that required every citizen, of I believe 18 years or older, to own a gun and that this city also has the lowest crime rate in the country. I don't know if this is necesarily true but if it is it would certainly seem to support those who are against gun control. Does anyone here know of what city I'm talking about or if this is even true or not?

Do you know that if you live in the small town of Kennesaw, Georgia, you are required to have and maintain a firearm?

On May 1, 1982, a new ordinance was passed by the city council of Kennesaw. This law ( Sec. 34-1 Heads of households to maintain firearms) made it mandatory for each household to own and maintain a gun, as well as ammunition. Not only was the ordinance passed by city council, it was a unanimous decision. The ordinance states the gun law is needed "In order to provide for the emergency management of the City, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the City limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore." Of course, exclusions were made to convicted felons, people with religious objections, and people with disabilities.

Members of the city council introduced and voted for the ordinance to make a statement when a city in Illinois, Morton Grove, passed an ordinance banning hand guns from anyone other than peace officers. Morton Grove was the first community to ever ban the sale and possession of handguns.

Both city ordinances drew worldwide media attention, with Kennesaw's attention being negative. Nicknamed "Gun Town USA" from a column titled the same and written by Art Buchwald, expectations were for the town to covert back to the Old West style of handling disagreements with ruthless shoot outs. This expectation never happened. In fact, more than 25 years after the ban, not a single resident of Kennesaw has been involved in a fatal shooting - as a victim, attacker or defender. There has been one firearm related murder but not from a resident of Kennesaw. Since the ordinance, no child has ever been injured with a firearm in Kennesaw. Crime dropped after the ordinance and the city has maintained an exceptionally low crime rate ever since, even with the population swelling from 5,000 in 1982 to approximately 30,000 today. The truth is crime has plummeted and population has soared.

Firearm Ownership is Mandatory for All Households in Kennesaw, Georgia - Associated Content

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Do you know that if you live in the small town of Kennesaw, Georgia, you are required to have and maintain a firearm?

On May 1, 1982, a new ordinance was passed by the city council of Kennesaw. This law ( Sec. 34-1 Heads of households to maintain firearms) made it mandatory for each household to own and maintain a gun, as well as ammunition. Not only was the ordinance passed by city council, it was a unanimous decision. The ordinance states the gun law is needed "In order to provide for the emergency management of the City, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the City limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore." Of course, exclusions were made to convicted felons, people with religious objections, and people with disabilities.

Members of the city council introduced and voted for the ordinance to make a statement when a city in Illinois, Morton Grove, passed an ordinance banning hand guns from anyone other than peace officers. Morton Grove was the first community to ever ban the sale and possession of handguns.

Both city ordinances drew worldwide media attention, with Kennesaw's attention being negative. Nicknamed "Gun Town USA" from a column titled the same and written by Art Buchwald, expectations were for the town to covert back to the Old West style of handling disagreements with ruthless shoot outs. This expectation never happened. In fact, more than 25 years after the ban, not a single resident of Kennesaw has been involved in a fatal shooting - as a victim, attacker or defender. There has been one firearm related murder but not from a resident of Kennesaw. Since the ordinance, no child has ever been injured with a firearm in Kennesaw. Crime dropped after the ordinance and the city has maintained an exceptionally low crime rate ever since, even with the population swelling from 5,000 in 1982 to approximately 30,000 today. The truth is crime has plummeted and population has soared.

Firearm Ownership is Mandatory for All Households in Kennesaw, Georgia - Associated Content
Impressive find