• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Age Is Acceptable To Identify As The Opposite Sex?

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Share your opinion. I’ll say 18. Maybe even older. There’s a lot of experimentation that dies out. One should be sure before they attach labels imo. Take a little time…

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The sad truth is, it isn't up to the individual who is just trying to express themselves and be who they are. Instead, other humans around you will put upon labels whether they fit you or not or whether you want them or not. That's very hurtful to deal with and go through. And yes, I'm speaking from personal experience.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
The sad truth is, it isn't up to the individual who is just trying to express themselves and be who they are. Instead, other humans around you will put upon labels whether they fit you or not or whether you want them or not. That's very hurtful to deal with and go through. And yes, I'm speaking from personal experience.
I agree

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It is unfortunate that this is how things are at present. Worse, are the ongoing attacks and hostility.

In my office, I make it very clear that it's a safe zone. I don't do the stupid thing of forcing labels on you whether you want them or not. You tell me who you are, I nod and say "okay!" No matter how old or young you are. And I look forward to the day when the sad truth of mainstream intolerance becomes a thing of the past. When folks can be who they are, not be asked these kinds of stupid questions, and accepted.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
It is unfortunate that this is how things are at present. Worse, are the ongoing attacks and hostility.

In my office, I make it very clear that it's a safe zone. I don't do the stupid thing of forcing labels on you whether you want them or not. You tell me who you are, I nod and say "okay!" No matter how old or young you are. And I look forward to the day when the sad truth of mainstream intolerance becomes a thing of the past. When folks can be who they are, not be asked these kinds of stupid questions, and accepted.
Definitely. Personally I think there’s to much talk about it. Just live your life and mind your own business. It’s turned into a 3 ring circus this thread included.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Share your opinion. I’ll say 18. Maybe even older. There’s a lot of experimentation that dies out. One should be sure before they attach labels imo. Take a little time…
Biologically, children gender identify at 2-3 years old. Of course, it's not enough to say they are transgender. If there is a distinct pattern growing up, then by 18 for sure, it could be diagnosed. Some physicians don't give it enough time though.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Biologically, children gender identify at 2-3 years old. Of course, it's not enough to say they are transgender. If there is a distinct pattern growing up, then by 18 for sure, it could be diagnosed. Some physicians don't give it enough time though.

That would seem to fly in the face of everything we know about childhood cognitive development. Do you have any citations for that claim? If true it would be quite revolutionary, and I have to say I'm more than a little skeptical.

Some people have always known they are not the gender they were assigned at birth or the gender they are being raised at. I have a close friend who identifies as something different than there birth certificate and they told me that they pretty much always knew.

The way I see it being gay, trans, non-binary etc. is no different than being left handed. As soon as you know, you know.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
That would seem to fly in the face of everything we know about childhood cognitive development. Do you have any citations for that claim? If true it would be quite revolutionary, and I have to say I'm more than a little skeptical.
The 2012 book Introduction to Behavioral Science in Medicine says that with exceptions, "Gender identity develops surprisingly rapidly in the early childhood years, and in the majority of instances appears to become at least partially irreversible by the age of 3 or 4".[12][13]
  1. Bukatko D, Daehler MW (2004). Child Development: A Thematic Approach. Houghton Mifflin. p. 495. ISBN 978-0-618-33338-7.
  2. ^ Jump up to:a b Hine FR, Carson RC, Maddox GL, Thompson Jr RJ, Williams RB (2012). Introduction to Behavioral Science in Medicine. Springer Science & Business Media. p. 106. ISBN 978-1-4612-5452-2. Archived from the original on 1 July 2020. Retrieved 8 January 2020.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Can you define gender and gender identity?
Gender includes the social, psychological, cultural and behavioral aspects of being a man, woman, or other gender identity.[1][2] Depending on the context, this may include sex-based social structures (i.e. gender roles) and gender expression.[3][4][5] Most cultures use a gender binary, in which gender is divided into two categories, and people are considered part of one or the other (girls/women and boys/men);[6][7][8] those who are outside these groups may fall under the umbrella term non-binary. A number of societies have specific genders besides "man" and "woman," such as the hijras of South Asia; these are often referred to as third genders (and fourth genders, etc.). Most scholars agree that gender is a central characteristic for social organization.[9]

Gender identity is the personal sense of one's own gender.[1] Gender identity can correlate with a person's assigned sex or can differ from it.​

HonestJoe

The same age it is "acceptable" to identify as your biological sex? It's something of a moot question really, since this isn't something people (especially children) choose to do as our gender identity is largely subconscious. I'm sure plenty of people with gender identity issues would happily wish it away if they could.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Gender includes the social, psychological, cultural and behavioral aspects of being a man, woman, or other gender identity.[1][2] Depending on the context, this may include sex-based social structures (i.e. gender roles) and gender expression.[3][4][5] Most cultures use a gender binary, in which gender is divided into two categories, and people are considered part of one or the other (girls/women and boys/men);[6][7][8] those who are outside these groups may fall under the umbrella term non-binary. A number of societies have specific genders besides "man" and "woman," such as the hijras of South Asia; these are often referred to as third genders (and fourth genders, etc.). Most scholars agree that gender is a central characteristic for social organization.[9]

Gender identity is the personal sense of one's own gender.[1] Gender identity can correlate with a person's assigned sex or can differ from it.​
and @SalixIncendium - The definitions you just provided are circular.