• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are: 'the voices in your head'?

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist

Any speculation is welcome here,
but I have to ask you to back-up up your answer
with at least two reasons.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I believe it to be a feedback loop in the brain. Most animals have thoughts and act on them. We actually feed them back into our mind as something new to process. We can add feelings and importance to thought through this loop.

It would be an simple evolutionary step over our nearest ancestors and it would give us a great advantage. The ability to hear our thoughts as new information. Of course it has negatives; whereas, sometimes we don't understand they are our actual thoughts and believe they come from another source.

Rapha

Demons (alters) - all 666 of them.

They give me bad thoughts and during mild blackouts they allow me to see them.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It really depends upon the person, because some folks have a slightly different situation. I think that in most people the voices are partially formed thoughts, similar to dreams, that have enough energy to get partially interpreted in our speech centers. Consciousness is like a train going around on a little round track, and it picks up whatever comes out of the speech center on its way to other duties.

Jumi

If you mean thoughts, I think they are side effects of consciousness and useful to consider depending how you've trained yourself to think.

If you mean real voices, I don't think most people hear those.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist

Voices in Your Head - Home ? They are an okay group, I guess?

But seriously, an inner voice is something I see as a sort of link between your conscious and subconscious.
It's an emulation of self, or personification of things you interact with and think about.
That's how I think of it, but I do only have limited knowledge on the subject and it's mostly observation based.

However, if you are talking about demonic or spiritual voices, as implied, I don't know anything about it.
Probably because neither of those things exist and I don't have the imagination to keep up with it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Split second new thought. Thoughts could be like 111000s to a computer. As the stimli from ourselves and environment affect us, it goes in by 11100011. Our brians interpret them based on prior experiences and so forth also expressed in 1100s. Then once translates and reflected mentally (the voice we hear in our heads are 1100s too) we can express it verbal or non verbally.

It just made me think. Thinking of thoughts outside our human brain networking system just because like emotions they arent tangible isnt realistic.

Reasons?

1. Our brains communicate by nerve impulses

2. We can see our thoughts on EEGs

More reasons

3. Specific excercises both medical and self practiced can change how we think over time.

4. Seizures (excited neurons) affects how we think from de ja vu to depression

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Probably explains why we can control our thoughts via excercises like meditation. Its training our nerves to settle so we can process information differently. As a result, our emotional experiences (communication of neurons) change.

It also can make up for spiritual experiences in that tactile, verbal, and other senses can help with neorons to slow down. When one attributes the experiences they get from these actions (some say mystic, some born again, some enlightement) to what they learned from outside sources (like a correspondence) or inside (prior experience and knowledge), it helps them interpret what those feelings mean to them.

Thoughts are sometimes translated as gut feelings when the neurons cant fully commonucate in language what message it receives. If it relates to ones religion, and because it cant be described in words (we are limited beings, as so I hear), it may be translated messages from god among other connections.

I dont see thoughts as paranormal. This post was kinda like a mini revelation. Unless there is a psychiatrist and neorologist on RF deck that can correct me, makes a whole lot more sense to me.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Also, your neurons are trained to look for certain things. You have the potential to think all kinds of thoughts, but only certain ones usually appear in the conscious mind. Your brain cells always make lot of distributed electrical potential, and that potential is trying to find its way to ground. As you think a certain way, your brain gets trained to produce thoughts in a pattern. It is analogous to water wearing a stream deeper into the ground. To change the movement of water to a different course takes some serious effort sometimes. It is also difficult to change your thought patterns. Imagine your brain is a watershed system, and your will is a family of beavers building dams. You can change your thoughts but not easily.

Tulipbee

Voices are vibrations. Drop three pebbles in a pan of water. They produce waves. If it were possible, instantly freeze the pan of water. Take the frozen ice a drop it. It scatters on the ground. Take one piece of ice. Hold it in the light at a certian angle and you'll see the three pebbles. You'll see the three pebbles in each scatters pieces. Universe works that way. You pick up on the vibrations and recieve information.
Would you like me to explain why some babble vocally?