• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book r u reading?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I recommend it largely because, unlike so many modern novels, it feels no need to shock or harrow the reader with ghastly scenes of violence, death or depressing tragedy.
Cool. So definitely not German if people aren't dying, lmao.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I'm still on Xenogenesis, but it is really good.
I'm also reading Vampire$ by John Steakly, the book the John Carpenter movie Vampires is based on. Carpenter really should have just changed names to save money. Unlike Underworld getting sued over similarities to Vampire: the Masquerade (and they are very strong indeed) no one would caught on amd 24 years later we'd still be nonthewiser.

VoidCat

Use any and all pronouns including neo and it/it's
20231103_104222_HDR.jpg

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
How is that book, @VoidCat ? I remember seeing it and wondering if I should pick it up.

Then I look at the stack of books I still haven't gotten to. Oops. Picked this one up the other day and it amuses me because it reads like Druid proselytizing without the author being (as far as I know) a Druid or even a member of a nature-based religion.

59883848.jpg

VoidCat

How is that book, @VoidCat ? I remember seeing it and wondering if I should pick it up.

Then I look at the stack of books I still haven't gotten to. Oops. Picked this one up the other day and it amuses me because it reads like Druid proselytizing without the author being (as far as I know) a Druid or even a member of a nature-based religion.

59883848.jpg
The sacred gender one or the cat in egypt book?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The sacred gender one or the cat in egypt book?
Haha... both, but I was thinking Sacred Gender. That book coming out made me think about how sexed/gender so much of the contemporary Pagan literature was when I started and how off-putting it was as someone who doesn't think about themselves in those terms. The fact that this book is indicative of a shift in that. It's just neat to see it existing as a book.

VoidCat

Haha... both, but I was thinking Sacred Gender. That book coming out made me think about how sexed/gender so much of the contemporary Pagan literature was when I started and how off-putting it was as someone who doesn't think about themselves in those terms. The fact that this book is indicative of a shift in that. It's just neat to see it existing as a book.
I'll give you an opinion on the sacred gender one later. Im only on the first chapter so I do not yet have an opinion on it. The other book however was really good i do recommend reading it and this one if you want to know how egyptians viewed cats in ancient times...

Attachments

• 20231104_163132_HDR.jpg
    20231104_163132_HDR.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 45

jbg

I just finished reading Countdown 1945: The Extraordinary Story of the 116 Days that Changed the World by Chris Wallace, Mitch Weiss. Keep in mind the author is a rare animal; a Fox reporter who is a Democrat. I read this book in seven days; from October 28 to November 3. It was a page turner, and of course it helped that I already knew the outlines of the story. The book gave a day by day, in some case hour recount of the events. My father told me that many casualties were saved. I of course might not be here if the "bomb" had not been dropped. Interwoven were some very human stories of professional jealousy and rivalry, of a Japanese family severely impacted and other stories.

While there is not much soaring writing, two quotes from key players are in order. The first is from Jacob Beser: "I have often been asked if I had any remorse for what we did in 1945.I assure you that I have no remorse whatsoever and I will never apologize for what we did to end World War II. Humane warfare is an oxymoron. War by definition is barbaric. To try and distinguish between an acceptable method of killing and an unacceptable method is ludicrous." Paul Tibbetts, the lead pilot on the Hiroshima strike said ""If wars are going to be fought, I believe the object is to win the war.You're going to win it with all resources at your disposal. And if you're fortunate enough to possess powerful weapons or weapons more powerful than those of your enemies, there's only one thing to do and that's to use them."

You'll have to read to get more. My opinions on this subject matter are to some extent on other threads and elsewhere. Just ask.

VoidCat

I'll give you an opinion on the sacred gender one later. Im only on the first chapter so I do not yet have an opinion on it. The other book however was really good i do recommend reading it and this one if you want to know how egyptians viewed cats in ancient times...
@Quintessence. I finished the book. It's pretty good. Would not just be helpful to trans folk but cisgender folk as well. Has you think a lot on gender and such. I don't know if it'd be helpful to you or not in terms of spirituality(it seems helpful to me) but at the least it may be helpful in terms of understanding gender and how it could relate to spirituality.

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there
Just finished, and it gave me a lot to think about:

91oHaXK65xL._AC_UL348_SR348,348_.jpg

Well into, and it's riveting, and encourages me on my journey of digital disconnection:

81iZlz+Zj8L._AC_UL348_SR348,348_.jpg

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'm rereading "A Book Forged In Hell" which deals with the writings and history of Baruch Spinoza. Einstein said he believed in "Spinoza's God", btw.

BTW, the wife & I visited the Portuguese Synagogue in Amsterdam that Spinoza attended but then got kick out of. What a beautiful synagogue and we loved Amsterdam!

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
BTW, the wife & I visited the Portuguese Synagogue in Amsterdam that Spinoza attended but then got kick out of. What a beautiful synagogue and we loved Amsterdam!
My wife and I spent three weeks at the Flying Pancake B&B, which is in the center of the old Jewish area of Amsterdam and about a 10 minute walk from the Synagogue.

metis

My wife and I spent three weeks at the Flying Pancake B&B, which is in the center of the old Jewish area of Amsterdam and about a 10 minute walk from the Synagogue.
Cool! Did you like it in Amsterdam as much as we did?

BTW, when in Florence, Italy, we went to the synagogue there that was emptied out by the NAZI's with those within sent to the death camp (Auschwitz I believe). After that, we ate at a kosher deli, and while talking there the man at the next table noticed our midwestern accent and asked where we're from. We said Michigan. He said I knows a fellow rabbi there-- and it was our rabbi.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Cool! Did you like it in Amsterdam as much as we did?
We loved all of the Netherlands, and travelled all over the country courtesy of its rail pass. Not only were we embedded in its Jewish History*, but we also hit most of it's art museums and arrived at the perfect time to visit Keukenhof Gardens.

* A very moving experience was that of commemorating Yom HaShoah at the Holladsche Schouwburg.

BTW, when in Florence, Italy, we went to the synagogue there that was emptied out by the NAZI's with those within sent to the death camp (Auschwitz I believe). After that, we ate at a kosher deli, and while talking there the man at the next table noticed our midwestern accent and asked where we're from. We said Michigan. He said I knows a fellow rabbi there-- and it was our rabbi.

:greenheart:

metis

We loved all of the Netherlands, and travelled all over the country courtesy of its rail pass. Not only were we embedded in its Jewish History*, but we also hit most of it's art museums and arrived at the perfect time to visit Keukenhof Gardens.

* A very moving experience was that of commemorating Yom HaShoah at the Holladsche Schouwburg.

:greenheart:
I wish we had more time there, but we did visit the Rijksmuseum and really enjoyed that, but the only disappointment is that I never made it to the Heineken plant even though it was only three blocks from where we stayed. However, I did have it elsewhere there and man is that good shi-- er stuff!

metis

A very moving experience was that of commemorating Yom HaShoah at the Holladsche Schouwburg.
Didn't see that but you're probably aware of the fact that I was sponsored on a 3-week study of the Holocaust in Poland and Israel, and I revisited Israel with my wife in 1998 and then went back to Amsterdam after that.