• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book r u reading?

Balthazzar

N. Germanic Descent
I bought this one, read a few pages and set it down for a while. It wasn't long before someone wanted it and asked if I would be willing to leave for them to read. I've yet to read it all, but I plan to. I gave my original copy away.

Attachments

• OIP (29).jpg
    OIP (29).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 9

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
The Redemption, by Wm. Peter Blatty was a horror disappointment. It wasn't scary in the least. Just a mystery with a small touch of dark. SOOOO....today...

I'm starting a classic horror, The Sentinel, by Jeffrey Konvitz. It's from the early 1970's and the movie was one of the big factors of my Christian doubt. When hell broke loose in the movie, so did my belief! I can only imagine what today's special effects people could do with those creatures!

But that was a movie long ago, so now I'll dive into the novel. The books are always better than the films, right? And I have the sequel, The Guardian waiting on the shelf.

Spice

I finished The Guardian, by Jeffrey Konvitz about an hour ago. There should have been a third book. Someone needs to take this story farther. . . but only if written as well.

Spice

I love Uhtred, definitely way moreso Book Uhtred over TV Uhtred. He's also one of the most realistic fictional characters I've ever read.
I just ordered this whole set. Now we'll see how many I read straight through before taking a break.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I just ordered this whole set. Now we'll see how many I read straight through before taking a break.
I read them straight through. I did enjoyed the first half or so more (Uhtred and Alfred were awesome), but the entire series is great, especially to supplement the books with reading the history of what was going on.
Interestingly I was reading Death of Kings when Elizabeth died and I couldn't help but notice the similar themes of people having deep respect for the monarch (Alfred/Elizabeth) but not so much the monarchy.

Spice

I read them straight through. I did enjoyed the first half or so more (Uhtred and Alfred were awesome), but the entire series is great, especially to supplement the books with reading the history of what was going on.
Interestingly I was reading Death of Kings when Elizabeth died and I couldn't help but notice the similar themes of people having deep respect for the monarch (Alfred/Elizabeth) but not so much the monarchy.
I loved the TV series The Vikings, but enjoy reading more than film, so let paid TV/streaming go. This one sounds like it's going to be right up my alley. It'll probably be what I dig into after the holidays.

Spice

I finished Dolores Claiborne, by Stephen King earlier today. I had seen the movie years ago, but didn't remember the premise. The book is great.

Now I'm about to begin The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman. This one is completely unknown to me other than it has great ratings.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I loved the TV series The Vikings, but enjoy reading more than film, so let paid TV/streaming go. This one sounds like it's going to be right up my alley. It'll probably be what I dig into after the holidays.
Probably then. It's rather historically accurate, with the author making note where he took creative liberties (such as him admitting he was unfair in his treatment of Aethelred of Mercia who probably didn't treat Aethelfled nearly as bad as he protrayed. I forget which book, but the author even says that one is mostly entirely fiction.
Amd definitely Uhtred is among the most realistic fictional characters out there. He seems almost like a legit Medieval Saxon Pagan warlord.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Currently reading - Every Breath You Take: A user's guide to the atmosphere (2019) by Mark Broomfield. As one might imagine, not exactly gripping, but he does well to put the science across as to the essential things to know - that we can't play around with what is our basic lifeline to existence. Will not be read by so many though, given it might disrupt much of their thinking.

jbg

I just got finished reading Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand. All I can say is "wow." "Gripping" would be an understatement; I work full time and read it in eight days cold. I could barely put it down.

The comparison between the civilization of America and the rank savagery of much of the rest of the world is breathtaking. The first part of the book focuses on his accomplishments in the Berlin Olympics in 1936; itself a savage territory, temporarily concealing its bestiality. After his return from the Olympics, US involvement in World War Two began. He wound up in the Army Air Force, had not yet morphed into the Air Force. I will not spoil the story for future readers except that he spent 47 days floating on a raft in the Pacific, and wound up being captured by the Japanese in the Marshall Islands and subject to years of incredible abuse. Then he survived is unbelievable. Though the books title is unbroken, in many respects he really was broken. As cover I'm sure, where many people of that generation.

There is some discussion of his “redemption” after the war. Let's just say that if that is redemption, I would want something a lot better. Den is now covered there was insufficient focus on the mental health needs of trauma victims. I don't know if that could have been handled better but I certainly would like to think so.

amorphous_constellation

Re-reading Dune.. reading a tree field guide for my state, and kinda watching youtubes on each species as I go. Learning little facts that hopefully stick with me. Pecking at some difficult Hume passages. I have a translation of the Qur'an that I'll maybe read next. I probably want to read more nature books though, maybe a field guide on prairie flowers.