• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book r u reading?

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
I was already Hindu by the time I read Hinduism for Dummies, but it sure helped me along my new path.
I've got Hinduism For Dummies!

I never read it all the way through but I found it hugely informative and helpful

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Stayed up late finishing Stardust, by Neil Gaiman. It was so good!

This morning I picked my next from my shelves and chose The Redemption, by horror master William Peter Blatty. This will be my reading introduction to Dimiter, an agent of hell.

jbg

I just finished reading Vengeance: The True Story of an Israeli Counter-Terrorist Team by George Jonas. As usual I have my quibbles, these somewhat more profound than usual. The book, about the Israeli government and intelligence efforts to kill those responsible for the 1972 Olympic massacre, is in the "non-fiction" category but just barely. A lot of the dialogue is necessarily invented. The protagonist of Vengeance, one ex-Mossad agent "Avner" is admittedly an invented person. Obviously, a Mossad agent with a price on his head, both my Arab terrorists and by some elements of the Mossad and his loose supervisors, was not going to be named in a book about him. More to the point though, much of the dialogue had to have been imagined or filled in, unless "Avner" had a superhuman memory. This invention of dialogue is necessary feature of many books about war, espionage or disaster. Can one, for example, reproduce the discussions on board The Titanic or the boat that sank in The Perfect Storm? Could Gordon Lightfoot known that the captain said "fellows it's been good to know you."

That being said, however, it is a historical fact that most or all of the 1972 Olympics butchers met violent ends. It is known, from a study of current events, that strange things happen to terrorists who cross Israel. With those caveats in mind, I recommend reading Vengeance.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I just finished reading Vengeance: The True Story of an Israeli Counter-Terrorist Team by George Jonas. As usual I have my quibbles, these somewhat more profound than usual. The book, about the Israeli government and intelligence efforts to kill those responsible for the 1972 Olympic massacre, is in the "non-fiction" category but just barely. A lot of the dialogue is necessarily invented. The protagonist of Vengeance, one ex-Mossad agent "Avner" is admittedly an invented person. Obviously, a Mossad agent with a price on his head, both my Arab terrorists and by some elements of the Mossad and his loose supervisors, was not going to be named in a book about him. More to the point though, much of the dialogue had to have been imagined or filled in, unless "Avner" had a superhuman memory. This invention of dialogue is necessary feature of many books about war, espionage or disaster. Can one, for example, reproduce the discussions on board The Titanic or the boat that sank in The Perfect Storm? Could Gordon Lightfoot known that the captain said "fellows it's been good to know you."

That being said, however, it is a historical fact that most or all of the 1972 Olympics butchers met violent ends. It is known, from a study of current events, that strange things happen to terrorists who cross Israel. With those caveats in mind, I recommend reading Vengeance.
I enjoy narrative non-fictions very much for learning the facts and feeling the characters as they were real people. Nathaniel Philbrick and L.M. West are two terrific authors of the genre.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I recently read The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack The Ripper. by Hallie Rubenhold. I absolutely LOVED it, mainly because she did not focus on their deaths but on their lives before they met up with Jack or whoever. I hope she writes more non fiction.

Oh I just ordered her book about the ladies of Covent Garden. Yep, that's what I need, another book.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
I recently read The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack The Ripper. by Hallie Rubenhold. I absolutely LOVED it, mainly because she did not focus on their deaths but on their lives before they met up with Jack or whoever. I hope she writes more non fiction.

Oh I just ordered her book about the ladies of Covent Garden. Yep, that's what I need, another book.
I'm having to go buy another bookshelf for our library...

Balthazzar

N. Germanic Descent
This one was great. Dali helped inspire my art appreciation. I'm nowhere near as skilled as Dali, but I painted the 2nd image last year and donated it to a local resource center. My ex-wife gifted me the Dali back in the 90's.

Attachments

• 91LPk+1P6EL._SY425_.jpg
    91LPk+1P6EL._SY425_.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230814_194223851~34.jpg
    IMG_20230814_194223851~34.jpg
    821.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I was always such a sucker for Caldecott and whatever the other award (think it starts with an H) was books. All my kids had to do was bring a book list home. I really loved this one:

1728404937986.png

Balthazzar

N. Germanic Descent
My favorite artist, and I'll suggest a must read for me "one day".

Attachments

• 33006207.jpg
    33006207.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 5