• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book r u reading?

RestlessSoul

I read that book a while ago. Like you I found it interesting but was a little disappointed.
Octopuses are amazing and clearly extremely intelligent.

Two surprising things I did learn were that an octopus has more neurons in it’s arms than it’s brain, and that such intelligent (one might say highly evolved) creatures are so short lived.

I was hoping the author might, in the light of these facts, speculate more deeply on the question Thomas Nagel asked of bats, ie., “What is it like to be an octopus?” Not that we’ll ever know, of course.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Two surprising things I did learn were that an octopus has more neurons in it’s arms than it’s brain, and that such intelligent (one might say highly evolved) creatures are so short lived.

I was hoping the author might, in the light of these facts, speculate more deeply on the question Thomas Nagel asked of bats, ie., “What is it like to be an octopus?” Not that we’ll ever know, of course.
I agree. Such a terribly short life...so strange.

A little anecdote that stuck in my mind from the book: when the octopus in the tank waited for the person to walk back past it so that it could show its contempt for the food it had been offered. :tearsofjoy:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Jumping the queue, I have started reading The Nordic Theory of Everything (2016) by Anu Partanen, which seems a forlorn attempt to persuade Americans to change their ways and emulate those 'silly' Nordic countries - that often seem the happiest. :eek:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
One of my therapists got me to order this page-turner, and it was a fascinating read...

0385333420.01.S001.LXXXXXXX.jpg

... there is only one problem. I could not relate to virtually anything I read.

When I told that to the therapist this, he dryly commented, "Exactly!"

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
Jumping the queue, I have started reading The Nordic Theory of Everything (2016) by Anu Partanen, which seems a forlorn attempt to persuade Americans to change their ways and emulate those 'silly' Nordic countries - that often seem the happiest. :eek:
Anything interesting they propose for the average citizen?

I'm still in book 1 of the Mahabharata, chapter 18.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Pure Dead Magic by Debi Gliori.

My youngest daughter gave it to me as something to stop me getting bored while she and the other children are away

It's a children's book with a wonderful velvet feel cover. Obviously not the sort of thing I'd like but the first 2 days away when i phoned her she asked how I'm enjoying it. So on Tuesday i started the book. It's Thursday and I'm over half way through.

Although childish in concept it's a really interesting read.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Anything interesting they propose for the average citizen?

I'm still in book 1 of the Mahabharata, chapter 18.
Only read some but the obvious one is the health care provision in most Nordic countries, and as for many other European countries too, as here in the UK, that people contribute (via taxes) to a national health care scheme (the National Health Service here) and such that anything required as to health care is provided free when required, no matter what the cost. Although the options are usually there so as to seek other sources of such.

The author seems to rail against the insurances aspect of the USA, and as to many just not managing through this - due to various circumstances, like insurance being tied to one's job and such things. And for such a wealthy country like the USA this just seems such an anomaly that many will have financial issues over their health or health-related issues (like childbirth even). Not that our NHS doesn't have issues too, and perhaps down to underfunding by successive Tory governments who might want to go the USA route. But the evidence, as to happiness, education, and such seem to support the author's point as to the USA having it wrong - and possibly because the country tends to be more right-wing and/or religious in nature so as not to go another route.

If one can afford private insurance in the UK, many will do so and often get better treatment but seemingly the majority, as in most Nordic countries, will still prefer to have an NHS system than caters for all regardless of their circumstances. And as to which I would heartedly agree.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
Only read some but the obvious one is the health care provision in most Nordic countries, and as for many other European countries too, as here in the UK, that people contribute (via taxes) to a national health care scheme (the National Health Service here) and such that anything required as to health care is provided free when required, no matter what the cost. Although the options are usually there so as to seek other sources of such.

The author seems to rail against the insurances aspect of the USA, and as to many just not managing through this - due to various circumstances, like insurance being tied to one's job and such things. And for such a wealthy country like the USA this just seems such an anomaly that many will have financial issues over their health or health-related issues (like childbirth even). Not that our NHS doesn't have issues too, and perhaps down to underfunding by successive Tory governments who might want to go the USA route. But the evidence, as to happiness, education, and such seem to support the author's point as to the USA having it wrong - and possibly because the country tends to be more right-wing and/or religious in nature so as not to go another route.

If one can afford private insurance in the UK, many will do so and often get better treatment but seemingly the majority, as in most Nordic countries, will still prefer to have an NHS system than caters for all regardless of their circumstances. And as to which I would heartedly agree.
It is often tied to one's job, and not all jobs offer it, or the plan is poor. My husband's job does not offer it, and my roommate's job does, but the amount she has to pay out of pocket is still quite high, and she loses a portion of her paycheck over it(which is significant when you're making little). There's state insurance for the poor, but access to it can vary state to state, or be interrupted/cancelled randomly. There's a lot of folks that get no medical care unless its turned into a life threatening emergency, because even a simple check up can cost hundreds of dollars out of pocket.

But, I was wondering more little things that a person(rather than a government) can do. :)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
It is often tied to one's job, and not all jobs offer it, or the plan is poor. My husband's job does not offer it, and my roommate's job does, but the amount she has to pay out of pocket is still quite high, and she loses a portion of her paycheck over it(which is significant when you're making little). There's state insurance for the poor, but access to it can vary state to state, or be interrupted/cancelled randomly. There's a lot of folks that get no medical care unless its turned into a life threatening emergency, because even a simple check up can cost hundreds of dollars out of pocket.

But, I was wondering more little things that a person(rather than a government) can do. :)
I've only got so far into the book. The author is Finnish and has lived/is living in America - and is married to an American. It does seem strange that there are such disparities in America as to wealth so as many to struggle financially if health issues arise and circumstances combine to produce a problem. No doubt not a problem for the wealthy but when there are other solutions, as per many other reasonably wealthy nations, why not try them.

She also goes on about the length of leave that people automatically have (usually paid too) for health issues, like having a baby for example. From what I gather these provisions are even better in most Nordic countries than in the UK but I'm not sure about this. Another thing is that higher education is free too (unlike the UK) such that debts are not incurred over such things.

She seems to think that these basic differences between nations tend to contribute as to overall happiness of people - where equality is more apparent - and I would tend to agree with her. Given that greater wealth differences or disparity as to opportunities seems to be correlated with greater crime. I've never visited any Scandinavian countries - apart from a flight stop-off in Sweden where I bought a tee-shirt. :D

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
I've only got so far into the book. The author is Finnish and has lived/is living in America - and is married to an American. It does seem strange that there are such disparities in America as to wealth so as many to struggle financially if health issues arise and circumstances combine to produce a problem. No doubt not a problem for the wealthy but when there are other solutions, as per many other reasonably wealthy nations, why not try them.

She also goes on about the length of leave that people automatically have (usually paid too) for health issues, like having a baby for example. From what I gather these provisions are even better in most Nordic countries than in the UK but I'm not sure about this. Another thing is that higher education is free too (unlike the UK) such that debts are not incurred over such things.
I can tell you personally that here mothers sometimes try to prematurely end their leave after having a baby. Many don't receive a dime during this time, yet the bills stack up. I was working when my first came along; I had a relative help with bills while I was off for 6 weeks. My sister had a doctor approve her to go back to work at three weeks after her sons were born, because she needed the money.
She seems to think that these basic differences between nations tend to contribute as to overall happiness of people - where equality is more apparent - and I would tend to agree with her. Given that greater wealth differences or disparity as to opportunities seems to be correlated with greater crime. I've never visited any Scandinavian countries - apart from a flight stop-off in Sweden where I bought a tee-shirt. :D
I think feeling secure in general is a good lender to happiness. Knowing you can access a doctor if you're ill makes a huge difference in that.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I currently got caught up in Translated Japanese Light Novels. Currently waiting for the Next volume of Survival in another world with my Mistress and My Next life as a Villainess All routes lead to Doom. My Next life is up to volume 12 in Japanese but they've yet to release vol 12 in English. That's the frustrating thing, if it didn't sell enough copies it may never get translated.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I can tell you personally that here mothers sometimes try to prematurely end their leave after having a baby. Many don't receive a dime during this time, yet the bills stack up. I was working when my first came along; I had a relative help with bills while I was off for 6 weeks. My sister had a doctor approve her to go back to work at three weeks after her sons were born, because she needed the money.

I think feeling secure in general is a good lender to happiness. Knowing you can access a doctor if you're ill makes a huge difference in that.
Health care in the USA is probably just one of the anomalies that so many other countries might be baffled by. :oops:

The book looks like a good read, and is recommended by many. I tend to get so many of my books, like this one, from PostScript and such usually being less than half price. I might not buy so many without this source. :D

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
Health care in the USA is probably just one of the anomalies that so many other countries might be baffled by. :oops:
I'm baffled by it, and I live here.
The book looks like a good read, and is recommended by many. I tend to get so many of my books, like this one, from PostScript and such usually being less than half price. I might not buy so many without this source. :D
I can be a sucker for a book sale...

Well, I can be a sucker for books not on sale, too...