• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book r u reading?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I bet The Bible, The Koran, The Veda's The Torah will all be mentioned but does not have to be religious.
I was in a charity shop and picked up David Niven's The Worlds a balloon. Hilarious 6/10.
Your turn.
Yep. There more to life than reading religious books.

For me, it's the classics. Aesop's Fables

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I am working my way through the Dresden Files, a light fantasy series involving a Wizard living in Chicago.

I am also reading Lisey's story by Stephen King, and about the wife of a deceased writer.

Also a book called "Unholy" about Evangelicals and Donald Trump, and another book about Racism and Evangelicalism.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
140646.jpg

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Just finished "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro (author of "The Remains of the Day"). Ans what a read. Stunningly good book for a distopian novel, on the level of Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale," I have to say.

Also reading "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga. Well-written for the layman by one of the world's top neuroscientists, and I recommend it to anyone who would like to understand our human nature better.

jbg

Thomas Sowell from A Personal Odyssey said:
One day, a man had a heart attack at around 5 PM, on the sidewalk outside the Public Health Service. He was taken inside to the nurse's room, where he was asked if he were a government employee. If he were, he would have been eligible to be taken to the medical facility there. Unfortunately, he was not, so a phone call was made to a local hospital to send an ambulance. By the time this ambulance made its way through miles of downtown Washington rush-hour traffic, the man was dead. He died waiting for a doctor, in a building full of doctors.

Nothing so dramatized for me the nature of a bureaucracy and its emphasis on procedures, rather than results.
I just finished reading A Personal Odyssey by Thomas Sowell.
As one can see from the above-quote, this is a gentleman who has no patience for convention or stupidity. This is an autobiography. What else can one say but that this man, and his autobiography, are exceptional? From dire rural poverty in North Carolina to the streets of ghetto New York, this man transformed himself from a (Stuyvesant) high school dropout to a Harvard and U. of Chicago Economics graduate. While hovering on the outskirts of public involvement, he has become a prolific author. His opinions are iconoclastic and unique, similar to an economist on the other side of the political spectrum, John Kenneth Galbraith.
A worthwhile, five-star read.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Just finished "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro (author of "The Remains of the Day"). Ans what a read. Stunningly good book for a distopian novel, on the level of Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale," I have to say.

Also reading "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga. Well-written for the layman by one of the world's top neuroscientists, and I recommend it to anyone who would like to understand our human nature better.

I've always wanted to read both of those authors.

JIMMY12345

I bet The Bible, The Koran, The Veda's The Torah will all be mentioned but does not have to be religious.
I was in a charity shop and picked up David Niven's The Worlds a balloon. Hilarious 6/10.
Your turn.
Freezing order by Bill Browder. 12/10 MUST READ!!

BUY buy buy buy you will not regret it.I stayed up all night reading it.Then reread it twice this week.It tells the true story of an American fund Manager.The Russian secret service creamed off $ 230 million dollars in a tax fraud.It tells of assassinations,honey traps with beautiful Russian spies,What the establishment gets up to right up to presidential level.Post comments after you have read this sizzler and its true not fiction.
Will do a short paragraph on red notice later.This is his other best seller.
TRUTH IS STRANGER THAN FICTION

jbg

I just finished reading The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John Vaillant. A real page-turner, no question.
While the title and the alleged subject is a man-eating Amur (Siberian) Tiger that was terrorizing a far Eastern village, the real subject is Russia, through the lens of this story. A personal note; much of my ancestry is from Czarist Russia, and what I read, both here and elsewhere, makes me glad that I'm here, not there. An excerpt that should not be a spoiler:
John Vaillant - The Tiger said:
The Chapter starts with a quote by Confucious, comforting a grieving widow and parent, whose father, husband and son were killed by tigers: “Remember tha, my students, Callous government is more ravenous than tigers," and then continues:
BY THE MID-1980S, THE SOVIET UNION HAD BEGUN TO UNRAVEL AS THE pros inefficiencies of central planning began manifesting themselves in painfully obvious ways. However, the country was far too unstable and encumbered by its own history to allow a gradual transition toward a market economy, or the democracy such a transition was supposed to bring about. Mikhail Gorbachev's attempt to open the Soviet Union resembled Pandora's attempt to open her box: there was simply no way to do it gradually. Once that lid was cracked, it blew off altogether. In Russia's case, the walls fell down, too. As the Communist Bloc disintegrated, decades, generations entire lifetimes of frustration, discontent, stifled rage, and raw ambition came boiling out, never to be contained again. The vast majority of Russians were completely unprepared for the ensuing free-for-all....
On Yeltsin's watch, the ignorance of many, combined with the cleverness of a few, allowed for the biggest, fastest, and most egregiously unjust reallocation of wealth and resources in the history of the world. It was klepto-capitalism on a monumental scale, but it wasn't the first time. The Bolsheviks had done something similar under Lenin.
The scale of theft following the October Revolution of 1917 was equally grand for its time, but the motives and methods were even more ruthless. During the heady and violent period following the Revolution, there was a mass pillaging of privately held lands and property....
Under both Lenin and Yeltsin, it was a small elite with close res to the Kremlin who controlled these acquisitions and identified the beneficiaries. In part because of the abuses of power perpetrated during Soviet times,
John Valliant skillfully uses three villagers as foils for the history and sociology of Russia. Two of these were killed by this tiger and one of whom had a major role in killing the tiger.

This book can be read on many levels, that of a nature lover, history buff or as a cultural study. Or all three levels. If the book were only about the tigers hunting villagers, and the tiger hunt,it would have merited about forty pages. The book was gripping and interesting all the way through. I highly recommend this book.

jbg

Freezing order by Bill Browder. 12/10 MUST READ!!

BUY buy buy buy you will not regret it.I stayed up all night reading it.Then reread it twice this week.It tells the true story of an American fund Manager.The Russian secret service creamed off $ 230 million dollars in a tax fraud.It tells of assassinations,honey traps with beautiful Russian spies,What the establishment gets up to right up to presidential level.Post comments after you have read this sizzler and its true not fiction.
Will do a short paragraph on red notice later.This is his other best seller.
TRUTH IS STRANGER THAN FICTION
I read that about a year or so ago. Could not agree more!

jbg

I just finished reading Yellowface by R.F. Kuang. It is rare that I read a novel, but it was worth the wait on the library waiting list. Basically it's a discourse on the loneliness and competitiveness of the literary world, plagiarism, racism and reverse racism and "cultural appropriation." I will leave my overall comments on the latter two subjects to different threads and forums.

It's sad that the public discourse about so much of the arts, going back to Mozart and Salieri and other side issues, without focusing on the awe that such work is created. Even Paul McCartney in "Paperback Writer" beefed: "Dear Sir or Madam, will you read my book? It took me years to write, will you take a look? It's based on a novel by a man named Lear, And I need a job So I wanna be a paperback writer." Yellowface focuses on the public discourse and backbiting on such matters.