• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

apophenia

I'm reading 'DUNE - The Machine Crusade', which is not by Frank Herbert, but by his son Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson.

So far (up to page 179), it is a boring shadow of Frank Herbert's work. Basically just a space war story, made a little more interesting by going into detail about the 'Butlerian Jihad' against 'thinking machines' which was often mentioned in the original series, but not elaborated upon. There are some signs that it may pick up, and anyway it's OK for putting me to sleep at night, so I'll persevere.

I was hoping that it may throw more light on Frank Herbert's take on Islam - which I have always found fascinating. I mean, it's fascinating that FH had such insight into some deeper aspects of Islam, considering when he wrote it, and that he did not study it in any way that has been documented. I read the entire Dune series (6 books I think), and may read it all again.

There is some sense of an analogy about current events (copyright 2003), with the Zensunni and Zenshia vs the thinking machines. Hopefully it will be more than just a space adventure.

dust1n

Zindīq
So, I'm now reading (amongst Godel, Escher & Bach, which kills my brain quickly, and Wallace's The Pale King, which is amazing,) this: suicide_note Which... is like... some heavy ****. It's this 1900 page philosophy book that this kid wrote before he killed himself a major school a few years back. Thick and intense... loving the read. I'd check it out if you are interested in some crazy stuff. The first major part is about technology being god... It's all pretty... logically drawn out.

Wirey

Fartist
Christopher Moore is awesome. Try his Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove, or Island of the Sequined Love Nun. They're both spectacular, too.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
This is Your Brain on Music
by Daniel Levitin.

Part way through and thoroughly enjoying the meeting of two favourite topics - music and psychology.

apophenia

This is Your Brain on Music
by Daniel Levitin.

Part way through and thoroughly enjoying the meeting of two favourite topics - music and psychology.

That is now on my 'must read' list after some googling. Thanks for mentioning it. It may help me understand why I love what I'm doing with music, and perhaps even encourage me to dare to share it.

I'm sure you would be very interested to read whatever you can find by Dr Manfred Clynes.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Great series, although I've only ever made it through the first 5. Too bad the movie was such a bomb. I'd have loved to see sequels.

I'm slowly finishing up Anna Karenina.

The movie was fantastic IMO. I don't understand why it didn't do so well in the theater. I've also seen the "Princess of Mars" movie with Antonio Sabato Jr. which was passable if more low-key. The books are absolutely wonderful so far. I have up through "Thuvia" on my Kindle and will probably look for past that once I finish that one. I realize that only the first 3 are written from the perspective of John though. Don't know what that means for the rest of them as I am really quite enjoying his story so far.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
The movie was fantastic IMO. I don't understand why it didn't do so well in the theater. I've also seen the "Princess of Mars" movie with Antonio Sabato Jr. which was passable if more low-key. The books are absolutely wonderful so far. I have up through "Thuvia" on my Kindle and will probably look for past that once I finish that one. I realize that only the first 3 are written from the perspective of John though. Don't know what that means for the rest of them as I am really quite enjoying his story so far.

The movie was OK. It was more true to the books than I expected, but that's not saying much. I probably enjoyed it more than I expected mostly because I went in with very low expectations. But it was good enough that I felt like a sequel would have been even better. Sadly, it was a victim of horrible PR.

I've only read the first 3 recently, so I don't remember a lot from the next 2, but I remember liking them.

apophenia

Update on 'DUNE - The Machine Crusade' - more worthwhile than I first thought. Given the time when it was written (copyright 2003, so written during the neo-con 'war on terror' years), it is a very interesting read. In the tradition of Frank Herbert's original Dune series, his son Brian (in collaboration with Kevin J Anderson) explores the nature of jihad - with a twist. The jihadis are the descendants of western culture ( so it seems, though not specifically stated), and they are engaged in a war with 'thinking machines'. Meanwhile, future descendants of muslims ( who have become Zensunnis, and Zenshiites, worshipping Buddallah) have become slaves, and are trying to free themselves from the jihadis ...

By presenting the situation this way, Herbert and Anderson mix our preconceptions up, and find a way to explore sensitive issues without assuming a position which could be construed as either anti-muslim or anti-western. This is a continuation of themes established in the original Dune series; it is a kind of prequel, exploring the struggle against the 'thinking machines' (the 'Butlerian Jihad'), which Frank Herbert referenced but did not develop in his books.

Clever.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
I was reading Robert Hughes' Rome and loved it, but then I forgot it to my parents while visiting them. So I'm back reading Shakespeare. I've finished Othello, Macbeth and A Midsummer Night's Dream. Then I started on the Tempest, but didn't like the theme so I'm reading Julius Caesar. I need to get my Rome back!

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Apophenia, I've been following your Dune posts here. :yes:
I haven't read the 'non canon' Dune novels (those not written by Frank Herbert) myself, and not sure I'll ever read them but your posts are still interesting.

I finished the Prose Edda, and I'm now reading the Völsunga saga. Since I'm contemplating writing a dissertation on a subject which is related to the Vikings, I've been immersing myself more in Norse literature, and the archaeological, historical, and geographical world of the Viking Age.

apophenia

Apophenia, I've been following your Dune posts here. :yes:
I haven't read the 'non canon' Dune novels (those not written by Frank Herbert) myself, and not sure I'll ever read them but your posts are still interesting.

I finished the Prose Edda, and I'm now reading the Völsunga saga. Since I'm contemplating writing a dissertation on a subject which is related to the Vikings, I've been immersing myself more in Norse literature, and the archaeological, historical, and geographical world of the Viking Age.

Aah, of course, Caladan ! Somehow I missed that until now.

Do you know anything about Frank Herbert which would explain his extraordinary insight into arab culture and Islamic theology ? Sometimes I think he must have been a spook working in a foreign relations thinktank, although he probably had a very close muslim friend who was a religious scholar.

I love the way he set up the story - both the muslims and the western powers are scrutinized without fear or favor - and, importantly, the overall view is that the conflicts between them are generated by ruthless independent power mongers and intergalactic drug dealers. ( Cheney and Rumsfeld, and the Oliver North affair come to mind).

The 'Machine Crusade' provides a common enemy - 'thinking machines'. In the current context of 'predator strikes' by the US in Pakistan, and the Terminator 'Skynet' scenario, his vision is even more eerily to the point, and this is the central theme of the book I'm reading now.

esmith

Veteran Member
The Man Who Saved The Union by H.W. Brand

518svzSO-CL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU01_.jpg