• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

Raban

Hagian
Switching off between the Prince, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations, and the Jerusalem Talmud.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Just finished Dance of Dragons, the 5th book in the Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. These are impressively done, and it's pretty devastating to have to wait another year and half or more for the next book.

And if Jon is dead, so help me, I am going to be very, very angry. You don't want to see an angry lemur.

Titanic

Just finished Dance of Dragons, the 5th book in the Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. These are impressively done, and it's pretty devastating to have to wait another year and half or more for the next book.

And if Jon is dead, so help me, I am going to be very, very angry. You don't want to see an angry lemur.

He is a great author. His book's are better than the tv show version Game Of Throne's.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
Bought today a book on eroticism in Arabic literature, freely translated "The erotica of One Thousand and One Nights". The author is one of the leading researchers on Middle-Eastern history in my country, so I really look forward to reading it.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Bought today a book on eroticism in Arabic literature, freely translated "The erotica of One Thousand and One Nights". The author is one of the leading researchers on Middle-Eastern history in my country, so I really look forward to reading it.
Out of curiosity, did you read Burton's translation of the Arabian nights?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
There's an enormous gap in my education, I know.
That wasn't what I meant ;) . I think that if you are interested in eroticism in Arabic literature or culture, you would enjoy an adult version of the Arabian Nights. Also Burton's story and the story behind bringing Oriental literature to the English audience are very interesting.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
That wasn't what I meant ;) . I think that if you are interested in eroticism in Arabic literature or culture, you would enjoy an adult version of the Arabian Nights. Also Burton's story and the story behind bringing Oriental literature to the English audience are very interesting.
I'm just joking. :D I've seen bits and pieces of some translation of it, but it was on a pad and I have to have the physical book in my hands to be able to focus on a text. Maybe I'll get to it when I'm done with my other reading. There should be one in the local library.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Henry VIII, King and Court (Alison Weir)
Not really something I'd go out and buy, but it was lurking at my parent's place (they have some weird ritual where they get boxes of old books from friends/stores/homeless people/another dimension)

Anyways, it's not their speed, and about the only biographies I read are historical leaders. Enjoying it so far.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Knowing that the government is looking at people's Facebook and stuff made me go out and get 1984 from George Orwell- I am currently reading that. I am also reading a couple of Dean Koontz's books.

Rakhel

Well, I just finished The Zero Hour: Joseph Finder: 9780312934927: Amazon.com: Books
It was an okay read. It had it's 'probably could happen" moments, but there were a few things I didn't like about it. Especially how the main character was portrayed.

A female FBI agent in the organized crimes unit, in Boston, afraid to carry a gun and can't defend herself from being attacked, by three kids, while in Central park, in NYC? Really? :areyoucra

rageoftyrael

Veritas
Yeah, Rakhel, unless she was in a purely intel position, and didn't need to be able to defend herself on a regular basis. That happens. Of course, if she was an active part of the dangerous part of the job, that's just stupid... Flip side, even a well trained person can get the snot beaten out of them when facing three people at once, if they have the slightest clue on how to fight together....

I'm just reading lots of Piers Anthony and Anne McAffrey right now. Good stuff.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I finished 'The Kite Runner' before I could even post this.

Good read.

I really enjoyed '1000 Splendid Suns', by the same author as well.