• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What came before the Big Bang?

Enai de a lukal

(Accurate) personal comments do not lower the overall quality of posting on this site half as much as your repetitive, vacuous gibberish does. It was just wishful thinking on my part anyways, they will clearly never moderate for posting quality (for which you are very thankful), so I'll just leave it at that. If only, sigh.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
(Accurate) personal comments do not lower the overall quality of posting on this site half as much as your repetitive, vacuous gibberish does. It was just wishful thinking on my part anyways, they will clearly never moderate for posting quality (for which you are very thankful), so I'll just leave it at that. If only, sigh.

If only....your comments were accurate.
Back to topic now?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
With such a stance at hand....
You must then assume substance first...spirit as consequence.
Which leads to death and no continuance.

Not very optimistic.

And it renders all of life as a mystery with no resolve or purpose.

I was answer someone else on page 38.....but here you go.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Now we might be getting somewhere....have you considered?
Let there be light....is synonymous to...'I AM!'

No. I don't see that they are related. The first statement has to do with the Creation of the world as told in Genesis, while the latter has to do with the divine nature of Jesus.

But what does that have to do with either the topic of the BB, or with Vivikenanda's statement that the universe is the Absolute?

godnotgod

Thou art That
ab·so·lute
ˈabsəˌlo͞ot,ˌabsəˈlo͞ot/
adjective
not qualified or diminished in any way; total.
"absolute secrecy"
synonyms: complete, total, utter, out-and-out, outright, entire, perfect, pure, decided;

viewed or existing independently and not in relation to other things; not relative or comparative.
"absolute moral standards"
synonyms: universal, fixed, independent, nonrelative, nonvariable, absolutist

nounPHILOSOPHY
noun: absolute; plural noun: absolutes
a value or principle that is regarded as universally valid or that may be viewed without relation to other things.

Google

Last edited:

godnotgod

Thou art That
OK. So I think we can we safely say that the universe is, in fact, the Absolute, as Vivikenanda is telling us.

Enai de a lukal

OK. So I think we can we safely say that the universe is, in fact, the Absolute, as Vivikenanda is telling us.

If we can, then we could just as safely say that the universe is, in fact, Potatoes, because this is no less and no more informative than slapping some vague metaphysical label like "absolute" on it. Your formulation (or Viveknanda's) is vacuous and uninformative.

godnotgod

Thou art That
If we can, then we could just as safely say that the universe is, in fact, Potatoes, because this is no less and no more informative than slapping some vague metaphysical label like "absolute" on it. Your formulation (or Viveknanda's) is vacuous and uninformative.

The dictionary defines 'universal' as being 'absolute'; 'absolute' meaning 'everything' to which there is nothing to compare it to.

'potatoes' is relative.

In what sense is the universe not absolute?..that is to say, not everything?

See post #972.

Enai de a lukal

The dictionary defines 'universal' as being 'absolute'; 'absolute' meaning 'everything' to which there is nothing to compare it to.

'potatoes' is relative.

In what sense is the universe not absolute?..that is to say, not everything?

See post #972.

I'm not saying its necessarily false, its that it tells us next to nothing we didn't know already, and so its hardly some startling revelation.