• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What came before the Big Bang?

godnotgod

Thou art That
Please stop this. That claim is simply not true and if you understood the experiments behind QM better you would know this. Thats why the Dali Lama couldn't believe his own eyes.

Disregarding a human observer for the moment, we have this:

Q:
There's a lot of confusion between the uncertainty principle and the observer effect... So, to be clear (because there's a lot of conflicting info out there), when we talk about "observing" an electron and thereby changing its state, we're talking about using equipment to measure it, not simply observing with the naked eye, right?

A:

Right...there is a relation between the "observer effect" and the uncertainty principle. Mathematics requires that any wave, including purely classical ones, have a "spread" relation: ΔkΔx >= 1/2. That says that the spread (Δ) in the wavevector (k, sort of the inverse of the wavelength) times the spread in position (x) is greater than or equal to 1/2. The classical wave simply must have spreads in both these attributes, just as you can easily picture for water waves. We don't call this "uncertainty" or make a philosophical fuss about it because, as you can see by eye, the spreads in position and wavevector are real, persistent things.

What's weird about quantum waves, though, is that when they're "observed" or "measured" we don't see the full spread that was there in the wave. If you set up apparatus to measure x, you see an output that has a very narrow range of x, even if the input is a big spread of x. Likewise if you measure k, the output has a narrow range of k. It's as if the wavefunction "collapsed" in a way guided by the type of measurement made. As to which particular little range of, say, x it collapses to, there's just a probability rule. The detailed result is purely random, not guided by any prior content of the universe. That's what converts the quantum spread into quantum uncertainty.

3/5/13

Q & A: Observer Effect? | Department of Physics | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

idav

Being
Premium Member
Disregarding a human observer for the moment, we have this:

Q:
There's a lot of confusion between the uncertainty principle and the observer effect... So, to be clear (because there's a lot of conflicting info out there), when we talk about "observing" an electron and thereby changing its state, we're talking about using equipment to measure it, not simply observing with the naked eye, right?

A:

Right...there is a relation between the "observer effect" and the uncertainty principle. Mathematics requires that any wave, including purely classical ones, have a "spread" relation: ΔkΔx >= 1/2. That says that the spread (Δ) in the wavevector (k, sort of the inverse of the wavelength) times the spread in position (x) is greater than or equal to 1/2. The classical wave simply must have spreads in both these attributes, just as you can easily picture for water waves. We don't call this "uncertainty" or make a philosophical fuss about it because, as you can see by eye, the spreads in position and wavevector are real, persistent things.

What's weird about quantum waves, though, is that when they're "observed" or "measured" we don't see the full spread that was there in the wave. If you set up apparatus to measure x, you see an output that has a very narrow range of x, even if the input is a big spread of x. Likewise if you measure k, the output has a narrow range of k. It's as if the wavefunction "collapsed" in a way guided by the type of measurement made. As to which particular little range of, say, x it collapses to, there's just a probability rule. The detailed result is purely random, not guided by any prior content of the universe. That's what converts the quantum spread into quantum uncertainty.

3/5/13

Q & A: Observer Effect? | Department of Physics | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Sure, no problems there. That site looks decent.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No observer.

Ok....'Let there be light!'....and no one else saw Him do it.

Does a tree make a sound when it falls....and no one hears it?
If I pick your pocket and you didn't realize it...is the wallet still there?

idav

Being
Premium Member
Ok....'Let there be light!'....and no one else saw Him do it.

Does a tree make a sound when it falls....and no one hears it?
If I pick your pocket and you didn't realize it...is the wallet still there?

If nobody observes it, it still happens.

idav

Being
Premium Member
and if God says....I AM!...and no one hears it?

He's still there.....right?

I suppose, wheres the evidence. At least the singularity looks to be eternal but doesn't appear to be an intelligent designer, at least not until humans and other animals get involved.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I suppose, wheres the evidence. At least the singularity looks to be eternal but doesn't appear to be an intelligent designer, at least not until humans and other animals get involved.

You then say....a creation is not evidence of a Creator?
( the existence is sufficient)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Existing is not evidence of being created, in fact I am pretty certain I was born.

No...no....no.....back to the beginning.

Was God there? or not?

If not then we can throw science under the bus and believe anything.
(nothing moves without Something to move it...including the bus)

idav

Being
Premium Member
No...no....no.....back to the beginning.

Was God there? or not?

If not then we can throw science under the bus and believe anything.
(nothing moves without Something to move it...including the bus)

Yes of course and gods still here. After all the big bang happened everywhere.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Yup, exactly why I snipped it out, along with the text about human observation.

The important aspect is we can't collapse it simply by looking/observing it. We collapse it by interfering with it. We have already managed to get passed all that, they are doing it in quantum computers, observing qubit as on and off at the same time without interfering with it, and they use the knowledge to choose the path of the qubit.

outhouse

Atheistically
Yes of course and gods still here. After all the big bang happened everywhere.

Unsubstantiated, that later mythological creations can be pushed back beyond what the mythology states in error due to the authors ignorance of the natural world, and not trying to literally describe it.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Unsubstantiated, that later mythological creations can be pushed back beyond what the mythology states in error due to the authors ignorance of the natural world, and not trying to literally describe it.

Interesting opinion.

Brigida H

I believe in the Big Bang Theory
I believe in a Superior Being
What happened before the Big Bang Theory. Hmmm. I wonder how reincarnation came about and the possibilities of it being established before the Big Bang Theory.
Maybe we are matter and time travelers :) :D from a place similar to this one in hopes of evolving once again. All we needed was time on our side. So, here we are. :). :rolleyes:

Maybe it was space and light before the Big Bang Theory