• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Can Atheism Lead To?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Supposing, for argument's sake, that there's such a thing as an "atheistic worldview," what could this worldview lead to, and what possible effects could it have on the individual and society, and why?

MSizer

MSizer
Freedom from unfounded inhibitions. Religious mythology can influence people in positive and negative ways, but I'd rather simply know the truth and work with that. I think the world would be a much better place with people focusing on helping each other now in the one life we know we have if mythology didn't have such direct influence over so many people.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I think that if atheism becomes large enough it could become just as oppressive as some of the religions it accuses of oppression. I've seen some atheists say I have a mental disorder for believing in god and need to be medicated or something.

Mr Cheese

atheism would lead to a mentally unstable society...devoid of the true value of imagination

or it could just lead to less fred phelps clones....

MSizer

MSizer
...I've seen some atheists say I have a mental disorder for believing in god and need to be medicated or something.

That's just dumb. It's a normal human trait to believe in god. I don't agree that god exists, but it's normal to believe it.

Just_me_Mike

Why wouldn't we?
The names were largely derived from mythology. I am not an expert, but for example Friday and Venus go together. Venus of course is a Goddess. In the day they decided what days were what, they used the planets that were observable, the sun and the moon. So, the names mostly reflected gods.

Sunday named after Sol, was a deity as well.

So no gods, no Sunday I suppose

Wannabe Yogi

Supposing, for argument's sake, that there's such a thing as an "atheistic worldview," what could this worldview lead to, and what possible effects could it have on the individual and society, and why?

I would hope It has some practical value like rooting out superstition and pushing scientific and logical thought so we can live in a clean just world. Not based on personal belief but good behavior. It might also be a help in creating a secular world view expressed in our political systems that allow freedom of thought.

Some how human beings have the ability to misuse any belief system no matter how noble our intent.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The names were largely derived from mythology. I am not an expert, but for example Friday and Venus go together. Venus of course is a Goddess. In the day they decided what days were what, they used the planets that were observable, the sun and the moon. So, the names mostly reflected gods.

Sunday named after Sol, was a deity as well.

So no gods, no Sunday I suppose
Except we haven't generally believed in those gods for millenia, but we kept calling the days the same thing anyhow. If Christian societies can use day names that aren't derived from their own beliefs but have historic and cultural significance, then why can't atheists?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Apparently the countries with the highest proportion of atheists are:
Sweden, Vietnam, Denmark, Japan, Norway, the Czech Republic, Finland, France, South Korea and Germany. So apparently atheism leads to low crime rates, high literacy, equal rights for gays and women, low rates of teenage pregnancy and other good things.

Just_me_Mike

Except we haven't generally believed in those gods for millenia, but we kept calling the days the same thing anyhow. If Christian societies can use day names that aren't derived from their own beliefs but have historic and cultural significance, then why can't atheists?
I didn't say there wouldn't be days, I said there wouldn't be one called Sunday... Most likely...

Last edited by a moderator:

Just_me_Mike

Apparently the countries with the highest proportion of atheists are:
Sweden, Vietnam, Denmark, Japan, Norway, the Czech Republic, Finland, France, South Korea and Germany. So apparently atheism leads to low crime rates, high literacy, equal rights for gays and women, low rates of teenage pregnancy and other good things.
frubals

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Look for the film (if you haven't already seen it) called "The Invention of Lying". I imagine it would be much like that.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Look for the film (if you haven't already seen it) called "The Invention of Lying". I imagine it would be much like that.

Funny movie with an interesting premise (started out funny anyway). But, in what way would someone holding an "atheistic worldview" relate to that movie in your view?