• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Can Atheism Lead To?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Funny movie with an interesting premise (started out funny anyway). But, in what way would someone holding an "atheistic worldview" relate to that movie in your view?
The most interesting part of the movie, I found, was when they were sitting on the park bench, and he was trying to explain to her (in vain) about metaphor, without actually having a means of explaining (didn't have the words). "God" is metaphor, both in symbol (being) and use (reality). A world with "atheistic worldview" would be a world devoid of metaphor, because with the inclusion of metaphor it would be necessary (as Voltaire pointed out) to invent "God".

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The most interesting part of the movie, I found, was when they were sitting on the park bench, and he was trying to explain to her (in vain) about metaphor, without actually having a means of explaining (didn't have the words). "God" is metaphor, both in symbol (being) and use (reality). A world with "atheistic worldview" would be a world devoid of metaphor, because with the inclusion of metaphor it would be necessary (as Voltaire pointed out) to invent "God".
Hmm. To me, atheism implies disbelief in a literal or physical God. Why would this necessarily imply rejection of the use of God as a metaphor?

Most of us have no problem employing metaphorical concepts like "Lady Luck" or "Mother Nature" when it suits us and I haven't met an atheist yet who literally believes in any of these figures; why would God be any different?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Well, I wasn't asking about a completely atheistic world, but even assuming that everyone had an "atheistic worldview," it wouldn't follow that metaphor wouldn't exist, or even that the concept of god(s) wouldn't exist - just that people wouldn't take the existence of god(s) literally. Additionally, there's no way to determine one way or the other about the necessity of the concept of god(s).

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Hmm. To me, atheism implies disbelief in a literal or physical God. Why would this necessarily imply rejection of the use of God as a metaphor?

Most of us have no problem employing metaphorical concepts like "Lady Luck" or "Mother Nature" when it suits us and I haven't met an atheist yet who literally believes in any of these figures; why would God be any different?
The best I can say to answer your question is that I find the concept of a "physical god" absurd.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
so in a completely atheistic world would individuality be discouraged? like would everybody be just like robots, programmed to function like a well-oiled machine?

Rainbow Mage

Well one has to wonder, someone said that there'd be no need for metaphor without a god concept. Without metaphor could there be Philosophy? Take away Philosophy and a large part of individuality is gone right there.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Well one has to wonder, someone said that there'd be no need for metaphor without a god concept. Without metaphor could there be Philosophy? Take away Philosophy and a large part of individuality is gone right there.

Then they're wrong. It's completely absurd to suggest a world that is entirely atheist would not have any concept of metaphors - the two are entirely unrelated.

MSizer

MSizer

How is that true at all? Metaphors in fact do nothing for philosphy but weaken it or make it succeptible to misinterpretation. Metaphors are used by theologians to make their vague claims seem plausible. Philosophy must be concise and clear, neither of which are not easily attained by using metaphors.

Rainbow Mage

Yes, but a large part of Philosophy is that we cannot know everything, so how can we understand what we don't know without using metaphors?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Yes, but a large part of Philosophy is that we cannot know everything, so how can we understand what we don't know without using metaphors?

If people weren't aware of the concept of god(s), how would that prevent them from understanding and using metaphors?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Well, I wasn't asking about a completely atheistic world, but even assuming that everyone had an "atheistic worldview," it wouldn't follow that metaphor wouldn't exist, or even that the concept of god(s) wouldn't exist - just that people wouldn't take the existence of god(s) literally. Additionally, there's no way to determine one way or the other about the necessity of the concept of god(s).
That's what I mean, though --if metaphor can exist then it would be "necessary to invent God" in that a symbol is (absolutely) required to express the idea held therein --the idea of symbol-less, idealess, expressionless, wordless existence "beyond". And once the metaphorical God is included in the worldview (an image of "God" along with what that image means) then that's no longer an atheistic worldview.

MSizer

MSizer
Yes, but a large part of Philosophy is that we cannot know everything...

No it's not. That's one single idea, which is probably true. That's all it is.

so how can we understand what we don't know without using metaphors?

Metaphors don't make us understand things we don't know. Scientific analysis does. When was the last time NASA used a metaphor to figure out the distance of a galaxy, or the last time a brewing company used a metaphor to calculate the sugar content of a sample of beer? Never I hope!

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
That's what I mean, though --if metaphor can exist then it would be "necessary to invent God" in that a symbol is (absolutely) required to express the idea held therein --the idea of symbol-less, idealess, expressionless, wordless existence "beyond". And once the metaphorical God is included in the worldview (an image of "God" along with what that image means) then that's no longer an atheistic worldview.

So, if you even so much as use God as a metaphor - even if you don't believe that such a God exists - then you're not an atheist? And, by extension, atheism doesn't exist at all since all atheists have to have a general concept of God in order to not believe in it?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

People could certainly hold the idea of "symbol-less, idealess, expressionless, wordless existence "beyond," without attaching it to the idea of god(s). If you're saying that that is a description of what god is, then you're certainly not using a standard definition of god, nor what it is that atheists do not hold a belief in. I have no problem understanding god as a metaphor, or the idea of a "wordless existence beyond," but it in no way prevents me from being an atheist.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
So, if you even so much as use God as a metaphor - even if you don't believe that such a God exists - then you're not an atheist? And, by extension, atheism doesn't exist at all since all atheists have to have a general concept of God in order to not believe in it?
If you don't believe in the metaphor you're employing, then you're just speaking nonsense.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
People could certainly hold the idea of "symbol-less, idealess, expressionless, wordless existence "beyond," without attaching it to the idea of god(s). If you're saying that that is a description of what god is, then you're certainly not using a standard definition of god, nor what it is that atheists do not hold a belief in. I have no problem understanding god as a metaphor, but it in no way prevents me from being an atheist.
Ah, but I'm not talking about "the idea of god(s)". I'm talking about "God".

Understanding the metaphor is what makes me an atheist.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
If you don't believe in the metaphor you're employing, then you're just speaking nonsense.

You've not answered my question. Are you equating having a concept (or "meaphor") of God as being the same as believing in a God or, in your words, lacking an atheistic worldview?