• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Can Be Done To Stop the Sexualization Of Children?

Ðanisty

That's an interesting point, as well! Males have always (conceivably) been competitive with sexuality. I wonder if a new trend in female competition (perhaps fueled by media personalities that appeal to youngster? <Cough> Britney <Cough>) is being observed. Or an old one being brought into the open...
I don't think it's a new trend. They just doing it more openly than before and now it seems they feel even kind of proud of the things they will do to win whereas in the past, they'd brush that under the rug as quickly as possible.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Ðanisty;814012 said:
It seems to me that anything becomes acceptable in this competition including cheating, lying, manipulating, blackmailing, etc. I've seen it all.

I've seen it too... anything does go. We know no bounds, apparently.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Ðanisty;814016 said:
I don't think it's a new trend. They just doing it more openly than before and now it seems they feel even kind of proud of the things they will do to win whereas in the past, they'd brush that under the rug as quickly as possible.

I agree. I've heard stories from the older generation that are just as racy (if not more) as ours.

nutshell

I'm female, but my father was hardly ever around when I was growing up. He certainly had little to do with my social life, as he was hardly there when I had choir concerts and dance recitals. Let me say, I was NOT sexual growing up and I'm still not to the level that I see some children at nowadays, male or female.

Maybe girls are more sexual than boys because we can sometimes feel that we need to prove ourselves to the rest of the female student body. It's another form of competition, and I can definately say that females are VERY competitive, especially when it comes to matters of the heart. (Of course, that's not to say that boys aren't competitive, I just have no way of really knowing, since I'm not male).

I never said girls are more sexual than boys.

nutshell

Ðanisty;814012 said:
Hmm...couldn't strong traditional mothers do the same thing? What about strong, non-traditional fathers? Who cares as long as the children are being protected?

As a whole, mothers and fathers act differently to different situations.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Reread my posts. I did NOT say for physical protection.

My mistake! I didn't see the "not" in "Well, I'm not talking about the relationship between you and your boyfriend. And I'm not talking about physical protection."

Anyway, I'm still interested in your reasoning behind how having a strong father helps in the daughters early mental health. Or in her sexualization.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I said nothing about intellect or strength.

The type of "protection" I'm speaking of begins when the daughter is only an infant and it goes to the mental health and stability of the daughter.

My mother did a fine job of protecting me from infancy to now.

You don't need this magical "strong traditional" male figure for a child to not grow up screwed over. To say they need this "strong tradition" father role just screams of patriarchy.

Above all, why does it have to be a father, a figure that is not female and thus really does not know what it is like to be a girl or a woman?

nutshell said:
Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

Just out of curiosity, what relevance is this to this thread?

nutshell said:
Well, I'm not talking about the relationship between you and your boyfriend. And I'm not talking about physical protection.

No, but you are saying that "protecting, strong" role is exclusive to men.

Reread my post if you'd like and try again.
I read your post fine the first time, thank you. I just don't agree with you- that doesn't make me incompetent at reading. Why don't you read my points again. :rolleyes:

My choice of the word feminization is unfortunate. What I mean't to convey is that men are being pushed aside as a result of the feminist movement. I'm all for equal rights, but I strongly oppose the theory that women and children are just fine without husbands and fathers.
Children are just fine with a parent or parents who love, nuture, and take care of them. One woman, one man, two women, two men, one man and one woman, one man and women, one woman and men, or men or women... it goes on and on.

Feminists do not "push away" men from being fathers, they just realise that there are many kinds of families and none are superior to the others.

In the case of daughters, it's not just a strong "parent." It's a strong father who will have the greatest impact on her sexuality.
My mother had the strongest impact on my sexuality- her being a woman and intuitively knowing about sex and women and their effects on each other.

This is making me think of those purity balls again, this idea that a woman's sexuality belongs to a man.

Nanda

Polyanna
Maybe it has nothing to do with being competetive, or strong father figures, or the media. Maybe young girls just like sex. I sure did.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Maybe it has nothing to do with being competetive, or strong father figures, or the media. Maybe young girls just like sex.

This is true. We are a sexual species, and it's highly enjoyable. Pleasurable sexual feelings start at infancy. (Or even before, I believe.)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
This is true. We are a sexual species, and it's highly enjoyable.
I also say that is true.
To stop the sexualization of children, as others have said, you have to stop buying the stuff, watching the stuff, and doing anything that puts money into the pockets of those who are doing it. I think the media has made it more acceptable to be sexual at a younger age though, especially girls.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
I think the sexualization of children can be stopped but it won't be. People don't want to stop it because simply many do not feel it a problem. The more sexually in-touch or liberated a person is, child or not, the better. People see the inhibition of sex on just about any level as being repressive and prudish. I have no idea what a little five year old has business to know what is oral sex and how to peform it. I think it takes away the innocence of children too early, but I don't think many people care. Instead of looking at it as innocence being taken at an early age, they look at is as enlightening children so they won't be afraid of sex. I don't see how not letting your baby wear a thong and have a boyfriend before she is able to understand the ramifications of any of it, makes her afraid of sex.

In a way though they have to learn it early because as mnay posters said earlier they are being bombarded by sex every where. So if they see it they will ask questions. Sometimes it is questions that a parent does not believe the child can comprehend or is ready to comprehend.

This is all done in the name of progressive thinking. Wanting to be able to do anything and not have the negative repercussions associated with them.

Nanda

Polyanna
I have no idea what a little five year old has business to know what is oral sex and how to peform it. I think it takes away the innocence of children too early, but I don't think many people care. Instead of looking at it as innocence being taken at an early age, they look at is as enlightening children so they won't be afraid of sex. I don't see how not letting your baby wear a thong and have a boyfriend before she is able to understand the ramifications of any of it, makes her afraid of sex.

Five? Has anyone seen a five-year-old in a thong, honestly? I need to know, because this seems a bit extreme to me. Kind of like bringing Hitler into any debate.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
Most people would agree that children are increasingly sexualized these days. For instance, not too long ago, a major department store was selling thongs to little pre-pubic girls with phrases like "eye candy" embroidered on them. So, what, if anything, can be done to halt the sexualization of children?

Parents could stop letting their children dress like prostitots? :shrug:

We could have better role models than rich, spoiled, dumb whores.

I think there's a difference between being sexual and being a ****.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
Five? Has anyone seen a five-year-old in a thong, honestly? I need to know, because this seems a bit extreme to me. Kind of like bringing Hitler into any debate.

The OP stated that in a store they had things for pre-pubescent girls. So they are how old, no older than about 9 I guess. i was using the age 5 as an example. I find it interesting that not many posters addressed that part of the OP about the thongs to young girls. WHat business have they got wearing that anyway? Women wear thongs and sexy lingerie to look and feel sexy. So a girl not even in puberty is looking and feeling sexy for whom?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Maybe it has nothing to do with being competetive, or strong father figures, or the media. Maybe young girls just like sex. I sure did.

You have a point, but we're talking about the sexualization of pre-pubic children. Even though a child can take pleasure in their sexuality, society should not be sexualizing them -- turning them into sex objects.

nutshell

I'm going to bow out for now since people view my comments as sexist. This is the exact problem I see with the feminist movement - you're driving away the very men who could help.

Thanks for proving me right. I knew you were still out there.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I think children need 2 strong parents in the household, if that is possible. Not overbearing mind you, but one who can influence his/her children to do the right things and make the right decisions until they are of age and able to make their own decisions.