• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What did Assange do wrong?

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
The question is not “What did Julian Assange do wrong?” The question is… “What crimes did Julian Assange commit?”

In other words… this is not about “right” and “wrong”. This is about “lawful” and “unlawful”.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The question is not “What did Julian Assange do wrong?” The question is… “What crimes did Julian Assange commit?”

In other words… this is not about “right” and “wrong”. This is about “lawful” and “unlawful”.
What crimes did he commit?
Thank you.:)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
No idea but my guess would be yes as stealing is a crime.
But with this system, in the US murderers and delinquents can get away with anything, unless there is the law which excuses and justifies those who investigate for the sake of the truth.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
We all know that Assange is expected in the US to face a trial.
I haven't understood yet what he has done.
Explain me, a jurist. Thank you in advance.
:)

Okay, we have 2 or more countries with an international extradition treaty.

Someone does something in A country with material obtained illegally in country B. Country B request the person delivered to them, if the person is in any country for which country B has an international extradition treaty.

That is legal, but what that has to do with wrong, I don't know.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
But with this system, in the US murderers and delinquents can get away with anything, unless there is the law which excuses and justifies those who investigate for the sake of the truth.

My knowledge of U.S. law could fit on the back of a postage stamp but I'm assuming stealing is a crime no matter the intent. For example I'd say that stealing from a bank to pay for life saving medical treatment for your child would still be illegal despite the understandable intent.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Okay, we have 2 or more countries with an international extradition treaty.

Someone does something in A country with material obtained illegally in country B. Country B request the person delivered to them, if the person is in any country for which country B has an international extradition treaty.

That is legal, but what that has to do with wrong, I don't know.
The thread is not about extradition. Which I understand.
The topic is about "what Assange did wrong".
Because in my opinion he did nothing wrong.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
We all know that Assange is expected in the US to face a trial.
I haven't understood yet what he has done.
"U.S. prosecutors Thursday unsealed conspiracy charges against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.."​
--https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/the-charges-against-julian-assange-explained

Also from the same article:
"...In some of the messages, obtained by The Atlantic, WikiLeaks reportedly offered damaging information on Hillary Clinton in exchange for Donald Trump Jr.’s help appointing Assange as U.S. ambassador to Australia if the elder Trump won the election..."​
Last I checked distributing classified material without authorization is a crime.
Yes, it is here in USA. There are also some extradition agreements between nations, and this establishes an international legal system. In cases of conspiracy against the US government, a person might be extradited to face charges here. Julian Assange is not a citizen here but has been charged with conspiracy against the government here.

I don't think that he is being extradited so much for the damage he has caused but for the way he has done it and also as a warning to others. Similarly Edward Snowden is a wanted criminal here even though many people (myself included) appreciate what he has done. We cannot make it legal to pass top secret documents out.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
My knowledge of U.S. law could fit on the back of a postage stamp but I'm assuming stealing is a crime no matter the intent. For example I'd say that stealing from a bank to pay for life saving medical treatment for your child would still be illegal despite the understandable intent.

Here there is the NHS and the State pays for all medical treatments. So there would not be such a problem.

That said

I am speaking of the specific case of someone who wants a delinquent to be jailed, and he knows that this delinquent has in his own offices documents that can frame him. That are evidence within a criminal trial.
Here in Italy the theft of those documents is not punishable.
There is the crime of theft, abstractly speaking, but the person who stole those documents is excused by the law because he cooperated with justice, he worked for the sake of justice and truth.

Here we do hate when things get covered up. Immensely.;)

exchemist

Veteran Member
Allegedly, though Sweden has stopped the investigation and dropped the charge.
Yes, but only because so much time has elapsed, thanks to him hiding for years in the Bolivian embassy and pretending to go mad. Assange is a turd.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
"U.S. prosecutors Thursday unsealed conspiracy charges against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.."​
--https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/the-charges-against-julian-assange-explained

Also from the same article:
"...In some of the messages, obtained by The Atlantic, WikiLeaks reportedly offered damaging information on Hillary Clinton in exchange for Donald Trump Jr.’s help appointing Assange as U.S. ambassador to Australia if the elder Trump won the election..."​
The emails have been disclosed. All governments of Europe have them.
Certain emails are penally relevant in an international penal courtroom. Because of the enormously grave and irreparable political, economic and social damages European countries suffered because of certain policies and decisions (behind the scenes) taken during the 44th POTUS' administration. With dolus. Willfully.
We can use those emails however we want. Because we are the victims here.
The perpetrators are not the victims.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
The emails have been disclosed. All governments of Europe have them.
Certain emails are penally relevant in an international penal courtroom. Because of the enormously grave and irreparable political, economic and social damages European countries suffered because of certain policies taken during the 44th POTUS' administration. With dolus. Willfully.
We can use those emails however we want. Because we are the victims here.
The perpetrators are not the victims.

The EU is not the world. Other countries have other laws. As for your understanding of what International Law is, yours is not the only opinion.