• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What did Assange do wrong?

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The emails have been disclosed. All governments of Europe have them.
Certain emails are penally relevant in an international penal courtroom. Because of the enormously grave and irreparable political, economic and social damages European countries suffered because of certain policies and decisions (behind the scenes) taken during the 44th POTUS' administration. With dolus. Willfully.
We can use those emails however we want. Because we are the victims here.
The perpetrators are not the victims.
I'm sitting on thousands of nuclear bombs. I'm not going to just let people hack in and take away documents. I'm going to have laws and extradition treaties to enforce those laws, and sometimes that means well meaning whistle blowers must go to prison. Julian Assange, to my knowledge, has not released dangerous military information. That is, however, something the courts must review.

Notice that we are prosecuting Donald Trump over his handling of our secret documents? He may be going to prison, too. He has recently been subpoena'd to give testimony before a court. Personally I think he ought to be locked up. We'd do no less to anyone else who did what he did.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Notice that we are prosecuting Donald Trump over his handling of our secret documents? He may be going to prison, too.
I understand. But nobody has answered my question yet.
If I steal certain documents from an office and these documents prove beyond any reasonable doubt, that Mr X murdered Mr Y, will I go to prison in the United States? For breaking-in and theft?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
If I steal certain documents from an office and these offices prove beyond any reasonable doubt, that Mr X murdered Mr Y, will I go to prison in the United States? For breaking-in and theft?

Yes, if those documents were classified. That is the law. Now whether that is right or wrong, that is something else.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
But nobody has answered my question yet.
He is charged with conspiracy. That is the charge: conspiracy.

More technically he manipulated someone in our military who was having mental problems, manipulating them into giving him data that was not his. This was dangerous. It could have been much worse.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
He is charged with conspiracy. That is the charge: conspiracy.

More technically he manipulated someone in our military who was having mental problems, manipulating them into giving him data that was not his. This was dangerous. It could have been much worse.
I was speaking of a hypothetical case, not of Assange's case. :)

I repeat it: If I steal certain documents from an office and these documents prove beyond any reasonable doubt, that Mr X murdered Mr Y, will I go to prison in the United States? For breaking-in and theft?

Gargovic Malkav

If I steal certain documents from an office and these documents prove beyond any reasonable doubt, that Mr X murdered Mr Y, will I go to prison in the United States? For breaking-in and theft?

I've seen several people answer your question.
You just don't seem to agree with the reasoning behind it.
Is it a rhetorical question?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I was speaking of a hypothetical case, not of Assange's case. :)

I repeat it: If I steal certain documents from an office and these documents prove beyond any reasonable doubt, that Mr X murdered Mr Y, will I go to prison in the United States? For breaking-in and theft?

Yes, if those documents are classified. You did an act of civil disobedience and you are convicted for breaking the law.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You still broke the law.

Surely, but I rely on an Italian precedent, which is Vatileaks.
A woman allegedly slept with a high prelate to get some very secret documents within the Vatican State.

The Vatican State sentenced her to jail, but since she is an Italian citizen, the Italian law considered this act not punishable because it dealt with documents of a discrete penal relevance and because in Italy we love whistleblowers. We hail them.

This finally show foreigners Italy and Vatican are two distinct countries, even if most foreigners hardly get this.

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Surely, but I rely on an Italian precedent, which is Vatileaks.
A woman allegedly slept with a high prelate to get some very secret documents within the Vatican State.

The Vatican State sentenced her to jail, but since she is an Italian citizen, the Italian law considered this act not punishable because it dealt with documents of a discrete penal relevance and because in Italy we love whistleblowers. We hail them. I am so proud of my own country.

This finally show foreigners Italy and Vatican are two distinct countries, even if most foreigners hardly get this.

Yeah, all good and well. But you are not the world and Italy is not the world. And I am not the world, but I don't love Denmark as Denmark. I love the world and Denamrk is a part of the world, but not the world.
You are a nationalist. I am a cosmopolitan in the end. You and I do the people of the world differently.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Yeah, all good and well. But you are not the world and Italy is not the world. And I am not the world, but I don't love Denmark as Denmark. I love the world and Denamrk is a part of the world, but not the world.
You are a nationalist. I am a cosmopolitan in the end. You and I do the people of the world differently.
And I respect that. :)

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Here there is the NHS and the State pays for all medical treatments. So there would not be such a problem.

That said

I am speaking of the specific case of someone who wants a delinquent to be jailed, and he knows that this delinquent has in his own offices documents that can frame him. That are evidence within a criminal trial.
Here in Italy the theft of those documents is not punishable.
There is the crime of theft, abstractly speaking, but the person who stole those documents is excused by the law because he cooperated with justice, he worked for the sake of justice and truth.

Here we do hate when things get covered up. Immensely.;)

I guess Italy must be the perfect society.