• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What did jesus do?

blackout

Violet.
The scapegoat takes the sins of the tribe upon it and is subsequently killed or "banished" I don't think Satan did this.
The Jesus myth, however, duplicates the tribal scape-goat tradition exactly, on an extended scale.

You don't think Satan has been "banished"?

(for "taking on" the sins/stupidities/misses of one or more tribes or another?)
Just a thought.

Christian Pilgrim

I realize this.
There is no need to try and "teach me" christianity.
I did the gig for YEARS.... and quite devoutly I might add.

Was just presenting a differing perspective.
Hope that's ok.

I'm not trying to say these verses apply to you, but they sure came to mind with your comment.

Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, and of instruction about washings, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. And this we will do if God permits. For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt. For land that has drunk the rain that often falls on it, and produces a crop useful to those for whose sake it is cultivated, receives a blessing from God. But if it bears thorns and thistles, it is worthless and near to being cursed, and its end is to be burned. - Hebrews

blackout

Violet.
I'm not trying to say these verses apply to you, but they sure came to mind with your comment.

Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, and of instruction about washings, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. And this we will do if God permits. For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt. For land that has drunk the rain that often falls on it, and produces a crop useful to those for whose sake it is cultivated, receives a blessing from God. But if it bears thorns and thistles, it is worthless and near to being cursed, and its end is to be burned. - Hebrews

Please do not try and sugarcoat what you are saying to me here.

You know absolutely NOTHING about me... or my experience of gOd...
or Spirit... or Life... or christianity. nothing.
You know nothing, nothing,
nothing of the three months PLUS of heightened reality.... epiphany I lived in...
or anything that followed.

After this post I will no longer dialogue with you as friend...
and I predict that your veneer will not keep you here long.
Your arrogance and presumption has spoken.

Your judgemental motivation is completely clear.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Sooooo.... Jesus was kidding when he talked about the Prodigal Son?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Good point! There's quite a bit in Scripture. Maybe the Prodigal was an Elect Prodigal since He was a Son in Scripture?

Jesus used the parable in answer to the Pharisees when they made an issue of him hanging out with "sinners and tax collectors", i.e., just your normal, garden variety less than perfect human beings.

The word "elect" or anything that can be interpreted to mean "elect" is completely absent from the story.

In fact, did Jesus ever use the term himself, anywhere?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
In fact, did Jesus ever use the term himself, anywhere?

OK, quick answer since I'm almost out of time for now; yes he did, in quite a few places, which means if he had intended the moral of the parable to just apply to the "elect" he would have said so.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You don't think Satan has been "banished"?

(for "taking on" the sins/stupidities/misses of one or more tribes or another?)
Just a thought.

Being kicked out as punishment or just to get rid of a troublemaker is a whole different thing than being sent off carrying the tribe's sins, to cleanse and thus benefit the tribe.

Jesus is like a vacuum bag. He collects and holds your house's dirt. When you deposit Him in the dustbin/trashcan your sins are carried away to the tip/dump.