• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Do You Call Deity And Why?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Sunstone said:
What is your preferred name for deity, and why do you prefer that name?
When I am speaking about Him, I usually refer to Him as "God." When addressing Him, I usually call Him, "Heavenly Father." I suppose I do so primarily due to my religious background, but I see Him as a Father figure, so that's how I feel most comfortable addressing Him.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
Really Big Sky Fox or One Whose Fluffy Belly is the Clouds.

Why? Because it's fairly obvious there that there is a Really Big (but only occasionally benevolent) Sky Fox so it must reasonably follow that clouds, being white and fluffy, must be His fluffy white belly.

That makes sense, right?

:D

Well, okay, usually "the Netjeru" or "the Gods" when I'm speaking of Them as a group, or by Their name if I'm speaking of one of Them individually. Generally I would say because these are the gods Who have decided to maintain a relationship with me Who I've decided to involve myself with.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Well, God doesn't have a name because only created things can have names - there was nothing before God to name It.

Normally i refer to It as the Monad/The One or the Depth (from which all things arise).

Most commonly i use God or The One.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Sunstone said:
What is your preferred name for deity, and why do you prefer that name?

The Great Mystery. I like it because it pretty much sums up what I don't know about it, but love. Usually, though, in writing or conversation, I simply use "Goddess", because I find it helpful to remind myself of the female aspect of divinity.

lunamoth

Will to love
In prayer, Lord, in conversation either God (spoken or written) or The More or Something More (written). I also think in terms of Being or the Ground of Being.

It is an interesting question because the nature of God I it is beyond conceptualization, even though I meditate on this a lot and try to read things that keep my mind expanding about it. But, I also have a very real and personal, very simple and straighforward relationship with God, which seems like a paradox, yet I experience it.

luna

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
If pushed, I generally use Tao or God, depending on the context and meaning I'm trying to convey. (I'll occasionally use other, more descriptive words such as 'harmony' as well) I try not to rely on such names though, once I do that I lessen whatever I'm trying to name. :)

As for why I prefer these names, as names go I find them quite confortable and flexible, and often people will understand what I'm trying to convey when I use them.

Ðanisty

I don't generally refer to God at all because he's not my deity. If he comes up in conversation, I just call him God.

I call Lucifer by name. I feel as though I'm on a first name basis with him anyway. Sometimes when I'm feeling casual, I will call him Comrade.

Zephyr

Moved on
Ðanisty said:
I call Lucifer by name. I feel as though I'm on a first name basis with him anyway. Sometimes when I'm feeling casual, I will call him Comrade.
I agree with you here. A lot of people will treat a god as someone much higher than themselves, but to me, they are more like big friends than kings.

BruceDLimber

I would suggest the name isn't important.

Many different names are used in the various languages and cultures, and all can equally well refer to what we Baha'is see as the One God!

"... By any other name would smell as sweet" and all that! . . .

Best,

Bruce

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Because strings, 'branes, universes and subatomic particles do not lend themselves to personification and, therefore, deity, I revere a diety in the more immediate and tangible manifestation of Earth/Gaia.

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
Just...God.

If its more personal then I'll use terms like 'I-know-not-what' or in some cases 'Concordance'.

For me the one-God is unknowable so all faces of God are metaphors. Something like that anyway.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
I call him God. I suppose it's because 'God' is more personal than simply 'it.' I use the pronoun 'him' only because it is what I am used to (the more formal approach), making it easier or less at issue when speaking with others.