• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you feel is wrong with atheism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremiah

doppelgänger;1049584 said:
Atheism is based on the same fallacy as theism - the objectification of "God" as a thing such that one can talk about whether this imagined thing does or does not exist.

Not all atheist are derived from the topic of God. Atheism can be derived from a path of philosophical thinking or simply be a byproduct of personality. I believe that is why they have the terms weak and strong atheist. But I think it largely depends on the environment that the individual grew up in. If the atheist grows up in a religious setting then they will most likely make their deduction base off religious context. If the atheist grows up in a non religious setting then more likely the question of god never arise before a innate "seeing is believing" attitude sets in and they naturally reject the idea of God later in life.

gnomon

I don't think the term atheist means that some one believes in nothing. I was thinking more in the terms of not believing in a creator or supreme being. As in man being in total control of his destiny even though we know man is not responsible for his existance. do you believe in philosopy, science, etc.

Actually, no. I do not believe in philosophy or science.

I accept the methods of science as a valid means for modeling nature. It is an evidenced based means of acquiring knowledge.

Philosophy, for the most part, is sitting around and playing with yourself.

gnomon

The fallacy is not in believing, not believing or disbelieving in an object, but in considering "God" an object at all (idolatry). The atheist, whether they "have no belief" or just disbelieve, has indulged the fallacy of considering the objectifyed "God."

No, as an atheist I do not consider God an object. By defining every term as an object, an individual is left with an inescapable philosophical dilemma rather than focusing on the truth. That a definition is not an object.

Saying atheists engage in fallacious reasoning based on the notion of objectifying God is nothing more than equivocation.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
No, as an atheist I do not consider God an object. By defining every term as an object, an individual is left with an inescapable philosophical dilemma rather than focusing on the truth. That a definition is not an object.

Saying atheists engage in fallacious reasoning based on the notion of objectifying God is nothing more than equivocation.
Or grammar.

Fluffy

A fool
To dopp and Willamena,
Sorry I wrote a longer response to the both of you but I feel that this single question would get my point across much better:

Do you believe that an objectified God exists or does not exist?

gnomon said:
Philosophy, for the most part, is sitting around and playing with yourself.
Them be fighting words!

penguino said:
Some like to blame the worlds problems on religion.
A problem not limited to atheists surely? What is the difference between an atheist going "all religions are wrong" and a Christian going "all religions + atheism are wrong"?

You: What is wrong with theism?
Me: Some theists have really bad B.O.
You: But so do some atheists!
Me: Yeah but my nose happens to dislike theist B.O. that little bit more for some completely arbitrary reason that of course has absolutely nothing to do with my own personal alignments and biases.

Rolling_Stone

That's not a problem, it's an excuse. ;)

That's similar to what I thought last year, but since then I'm concluded that until they realize the unconceptualized God, they are still indulging the idol.

That's not really a problem, or it doesn't have to be. The "finite assumptions of duality" do not differ from the "infinite" of unity (or to put it another way, "Form does not differ from emptiness").
Can't disagree with either.

To dopp and Willamena,

I hope you don't mind me getting in on this. It's a tough question. I don't know.

Reality at its most fundamental level cannot possibly exist as a duality, but the instant we take leave from the absolute unity of infinity we observe the existence of two realities, self and other, and recognize a third, the One in which all things consist. Having thus departed from the absolute unity of unqualified infinity, we must postulate preexistent WILL as the impetus of departure and MIND as the inevitable technique of unifying the ever-widening divergence of universe manifestations of the original monistic First Source. Yet, it remains that to acknowledge anything other than the First Source as fundamentally realis false.

Somkid

The only criticism of atheism I have is more about some atheist. Some atheists tend to get over bearing and become almost as radical as the fundamentalists of theistic religions, it's just way over board.

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
You can't group atheists in this way. It is irrelevant. It's like asking what is wrong with a-SantaClausists. We are all completely different, EXCEPT we do not believe in a big guy with a beard (or whatever).

You can ask the question about a specific religion as they have 'rulebooks' .
Atheists are not a group in themselves. They are those who do not fall within any of the 'abovementioned' groups.

I know many atheists who I seriously dislike, and many RC-Christians and Muslims (both religions which I detest), who I love to bits.

Jeremiah

The only criticism of atheism I have is more about some atheist. Some atheists tend to get over bearing and become almost as radical as the fundamentalists of theistic religions, it's just way over board.

I think it would be more accurate if you said some people instead of some atheist. I feel that type of behavior is most likely a result of personality instead of philosophical stance. :)

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
I think it would be more accurate if you said some people instead of some atheist. I feel that type of behavior is most likely a result of personality instead of philosophical stance. :)

Again. Atheism is simply ONE of someones beliefs.
I am anti-monarchy so I am pro-republic
I am anti-death sentence.
I do not believe in a god
I am pro-choice.
etc.

Just because there are many different flavours of theism, it doesn't make it ANY more important than any other things on that list - (to me), it is simply ONE of many possible thoughts...You do, or do not believe in a theistic god, or for so-called agnostics...you sit on the fence.

Jeremiah

Again. Atheism is simply ONE of someones beliefs.
I am anti-monarchy so I am pro-republic
I am anti-death sentence.
I do not believe in a god
I am pro-choice.
etc.

Just because there are many different flavours of theism, it doesn't make it ANY more important than any other things on that list - (to me), it is simply ONE of many possible thoughts...You do, or do not believe in a theistic god, or for so-called agnostics...you sit on the fence.

I don't understand your point in relation to my post maybe you could clarify. My only point was that I feel overzealous behavior is more closely related to a certain type of personality than to theistic or atheistic outlook.

Somkid

Yes, I believe you are correct. I'm an atheist but I don't preach it and I could care less that "God" is in the pledge to the flag of my country, the 10 commandments in courthouses are another thing well, they can keep "shall not murder", "shall not steal" and "shall not bear false witness against your neighbor" but the other 7 gotta go.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
To dopp and Willamena,

Exists. Objectifying God puts the meaning of that in a particular context. I believe there is no distinction to be made, then, between the idea of God and an objectified God.

Status
Not open for further replies.