• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you get from being atheist?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
How can we misrepresent nothing?

By saying it is more than nothing, arguing black is blue that it's more than nothing, I'm sure you know what i mean.

Anyway i glad you now agree that atheism is nothing. I'm proud of your sudden change in direction. Now perhaps you will stop telling people what you think Atheism is

Colt

I'm willing to accept any conclusion supported by evidence and reason.

What does your question have to do with my post?
Just some thoughts:

“Human things must be known in order to be loved, but divine things must be loved in order to be known.” UB 1955

If one truly desires to know the Living God in truth, then one must seek for God with all their heart. God simply will not impose upon the free will he has given his children. We don't get to know people without engaging with them.

What evidence and reason could the Finite being hold beforehand in the analysis of the Infinite??? Sometimes what we might consider evidence of God was considered dark magic by religion based on fear and superstition.

IF you realize that some claims by Holy men in the past were not tenable on moral grounds, what is it that informs you of that if not a concept of what God should be to begin with??? Its my observation that Atheist do already have a generic conception of deity that they compare with the claims made by religion.

What if some experience did prove God, then what? Going forward you would still need to live by faith in the guidance of the spirit.

Colt

What attention?

I could say the exact same thing about theists, and I'ld probably have a far easier time supporting it.
It would be true if theists went to Atheist sites to battle with them and mock their atheism then yes, they would be seeking attention. BTW, the spaghetti God thing was created to mock religious people so....?

Last edited:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
It would be true if theists went to Atheist site to battle with them and mock their atheism then they would be seeking attention. BTW, the spaghetti God thing was created to mock religious people so....?
Which completely ignores the fact that there are a great many theists who join religious message boards to battle and mock other theists.

See it all the time right here on RF.

Seems that some theists are upset over the competition...?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
It's probably a bit too broad of a question to answer in any conclusive way, so I'll just answer it the only way that certain posters on here will ever be willing to accept as being the honest way:

What I get out of being an atheist is a smug sense of superiority over those silly religious sheeple and their *snort* primitive beliefs, while simultaneously holding a position I don't ever have argue for or justify (despite all the countless times I have done so) because my personal definition of atheism (which isn't in any dictionaries, I swear) is one that makes it mean absolutely nothing and yet also makes it somehow conspiratorial and sneaky, because I am somehow totally duplicitous and yet also vacuous and also arrogant.

Hope that makes those people happy!

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
IF you realize that some claims by Holy men in the past were not tenable on moral grounds, what is it that informs you of that if not a concept of what God should be to begin with??? Its my observation that Atheist do already have a generic conception of deity that they compare with the claims made by religion.

I can't speak for others, but that certainly does not apply to me.
I have no preconception at all about what a god should or shouldn't be.
Indeed, I have said many times that I see no reason why a god couldn't be an immoral douche.

At best, I'ld only use immoral god commandments as an argument against a god of which it is claimed that that god is the very embodiment of goodness and morality.
Like when a christian tells me that his god is all-loving and all-good, while the very scripture of that supposed god tells us this god both commanded and engaged in genocide and infanticide and also condones and regulates slavery. Those things are self-contradicting to the point where I can say that either that god doesn't exist, or his supposed scriptures are wrong.

Other then that, why should a god be moral?
I have no such preconception.

I'm perfectly fine with the idea of someone succeeding to prove his god exists while also having evidence to show this god is an immoral douche.
A god existing and that god being immoral by no means are mutually exclusive imo.

What if some experience did prove God, then what?

I don't see how an "experience" can prove such a thing.
But as I said above: if a god can be proven to exist and there is evidence this god is immoral, then I'll happily conclude that an immoral god exists.

Going forward you would still need to live by faith in the guidance of the spirit.

I don't do faith.
I consider faith immoral.

Colt

Which completely ignores the fact that there are a great many theists who join religious message boards to battle and mock other theists.

See it all the time right here on RF.

Seems that some theists are upset over the competition...?
Thats true, theists do argue with other theist over doctrine, but this thread is about Atheists. Its my opinion that in general Atheists come to "religious forms" to heckle religious people.

Colt

I can't speak for others, but that certainly does not apply to me.
I have no preconception at all about what a god should or shouldn't be.
Indeed, I have said many times that I see no reason why a god couldn't be an immoral douche.

At best, I'ld only use immoral god commandments as an argument against a god of which it is claimed that that god is the very embodiment of goodness and morality.
Like when a christian tells me that his god is all-loving and all-good, while the very scripture of that supposed god tells us this god both commanded and engaged in genocide and infanticide and also condones and regulates slavery. Those things are self-contradicting to the point where I can say that either that god doesn't exist, or his supposed scriptures are wrong.

Other then that, why should a god be moral?
I have no such preconception.

I'm perfectly fine with the idea of someone succeeding to prove his god exists while also having evidence to show this god is an immoral douche.
A god existing and that god being immoral by no means are mutually exclusive imo.

I don't see how an "experience" can prove such a thing.
But as I said above: if a god can be proven to exist and there is evidence this god is immoral, then I'll happily conclude that an immoral god exists.

I don't do faith.
I consider faith immoral.
With that being the case then spiritualty isn't for you.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
It would be true if theists went to Atheist sites to battle with them and mock their atheism then yes, they would be seeking attention.

In my experience, theists who complain about "atheists" mocking them, usualy confuse mere disagreement with "mocking".

BTW, the spaghetti God thing was created to mock religious people so....?
No, it wasn't actually.

It was created as an analogy to object to a school board's debate about wheter or not to give "equal time" to creationist ideas in science classes.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
“Human things must be known in order to be loved, but divine things must be loved in order to be known.” UB 1955
That reminds me of the beginning of a poem (Marita) by Leonard Cohen, who says much the same thing -- only infinitely better. The desperation is palpable:

Marita
Please find me
I am almost 30.

Colt

That reminds me of the beginning of a poem (Marita) by Leonard Cohen, who says much the same thing -- only infinitely better. The desperation is palpable:

Marita
Please find me
I am almost 30.
IMOP you are close to the Kingdom, you are stuck in the valley of indecision wherein you use the failures, imperfection and doctrinal untruths of institutional religion as an excuse to ignore the God within your own heart! Maybe you feel that you couldn't be forgiven for your past life or are just too proud to concede that you need forgiveness? God came to me when I was at my worst! And God has stuck with me despite myself! I've bantered back and forth with you enough times to see that you are a fundamentally good human being.

"There is more joy in heaven over the return of (1) sinner than over the good deeds of a thousand righteous people! God truly comes out looking for those lost or mislead by his rebellious sons who were high in authority.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Just some thoughts:

If one truly desires to know the Living God in truth, then one must seek for God with all their heart. God simply will not impose upon the free will he has given his children. We don't get to know people without engaging with them.

What evidence and reason could the Finite being hold beforehand in the analysis of the Infinite??? Sometimes what we might consider evidence of God was considered dark magic by religion based on fear and superstition.

What if some experience did prove God, then what? Going forward you would still need to live by faith in the guidance of the spirit.
You aren't selling love or morality. I've seen your posts.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Using me are your opinion of me isn't a good excuse to avoid seeking God on your own, but that is common.
Me seeking God or not has nothing to do with you.

I just find it interestingly hypocritical that one of the most hateful posters on this forum would suddenly start talking about love. You have burned any bridges you might have used to proselytize to me.

Colt

Me seeking God or not has nothing to do with you.

I just find it interestingly hypocritical that one of the most hateful posters on this forum would suddenly start talking about love. You have burned any bridges you might have used to proselytize to me.
I disagree with your claim that I'm hateful. Maybe you are oversensitive and carry a lot of hatred for anyone who disagrees with you, so you project your own hatred onto others?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I disagree with your claim that I'm hateful.

Of course you do.

Maybe you are oversensitive and carry a lot of hatred for anyone who disagrees with you, so you project your own hatred onto others?

Nope. There are plenty of people I disagree with who are able to express themselves without being ****ty to others.