• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you say when somebody sneezes?

What do you say when somebody sneezes?

• "May the Deity of your choosing cast felicitations in your general direction."

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "I hope you're not coming down with something."

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Haha, awesome, I inspired a thread.

"May the Deity of your choosing cast felicitations in your general direction" (for those who missed it in the other thread :D)

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
ever since I learned the reason behind saying "bless you" I have really not wanted to say it anymore so I usually try not to say anything but sometimes if the person looks around for some sort of acknowledgement then I'll squeeze out a "bless you" or something.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Honestly? I don't like to say "bless you" (though I find the origon and connotation it is used in hilarious!) and I don't care for the German or French phrases....

Honestly? I say in a mean manner, "QUIT SPREADING GERMS!" Then I laugh or just smile. It tends to go over very well.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
What reason?

I was told that it is because people used to get sick and die from colds or at least believed there was a good chance, and so when people sneezed, they would say "God bless you" because they thought the person might die.

I don't think there is much risk of death from sneezing so I think saying "God bless you" is a little much...

Smoke

Done here.
I was told that it is because people used to get sick and die from colds or at least believed there was a good chance, and so when people sneezed, they would say "God bless you" because they thought the person might die.

I don't think there is much risk of death from sneezing so I think saying "God bless you" is a little much...
I heard it was the Black Death. Probably not too much chance of that either, though, in present circumstances. ;)

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Whenever I sneeze I always say "al-hamdu lillah." It means praise be to G-d/thank G-d!

Whatever I say to others depends on what language I've spoken last or an thinking in, sometimes it's just random...

Saúde = Health

Gesundheit = Health, again
Ichi homerarete = One time being praised... I don't really go into the rest of them, I just say you're being praised a lot. :D

Yar hamak Allah = May G-d have mercy on you

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I say gesundheit out of habit- I really don't care what it really means. I tell my children to please cover their mouths.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I heard that people used to say "bless you" because a sneeze was a time when you weren't paying attention so that the devil could possess you

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I heard that people used to say "bless you" because a sneeze was a time when you weren't paying attention so that the devil could possess you

You have got it in one... It was thought the devil could enter you when you sneezed.
Not only would people say God bless you , but they would cross them selves for protection.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
You have got it in one... It was thought the devil could enter you when you sneezed.
Not only would people say God bless you , but they would cross them selves for protection.
Which is why I occasionally say,'Bless you before the devils get in'...and get odd looks from people for my troubles.
Then again, I often get odd looks for my troubles...:D

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Please face the opposite way if you're going to do that.............:p

Truly? "God Bless you"

Smoke

Done here.
Atheist or not, I often cross myself when I yawn. ;) I'm not really worried about the devil, but I wasn't when I was a Christian, either.

Smoke

Done here.
I say Gezundheit because I grew up around a lot of Germanic immigrants.
Likewise. My great-grandmother was born in this country, but grew up speaking German at home; my grandmother spoke English at home, but German at church and at her grandparents' house. I'm always a little amused at people who get so indignant about Latino immigrants speaking Spanish. My great-great-grandfather lived in the United States for 47 years, and never learned English well or allowed English to be spoken in his house. His church, his job, and his labor union all used German rather than English.