• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about hinduism ?

Stormcry

Hello ,

I just want to know how you feel about our vedic hindu dharma ?

How you look towards our hindu's most beloved god krishna ?

And what you feel about Hinduism organization 'iskcon'
Which is converting Christians into hindus ?

Please share your experiences ,thoughts about hindu eternal religion .

Thank you .Jai shri Krishna !

Last edited:

muziko

hinduism♥krishna;3540594 said:

I don't have any specific view on dharma, mostly because it isn't my own faith.

Krishna's an interesting fellow.

This is more complex. I study with a Hare Krishna family whom I'm friends with every Tuesday and we discuss our beliefs. The mother is a convert to the faith who left the Baptist church because she felt like her spiritual needs weren't being fulfilled in the church. Though I wish it wouldn't happen, I believe it's better to at least find another spiritual faith than abandon all religion and spirituality. It makes me happy at least that she still holds Jesus to a high regard. Hope that helps

Knight of Albion

All religions of the Light have their role to play in the spiritual evolution of man.

The various faiths are like the branches of a tree. Each has its place.

If the religion you follow, be it Hinduism or anything else, makes you a better, kinder person; if it helps you to further the greater good; if it serves to advance your soul, then it is serving its purpose, and it is right - for you.

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Hello ,

You can follow it if that's your thing. It is most certainly ancient.
The same way I look at Muhammad, Baha'u'llah, the Dalai Lama, etc: A person/figure from another religion that doesn't concern me. They probably have some good teachings that parallel what we already have in Christianity.
The fact that Christians are leaving their Faith is a bad reflection on our inability to properly educate our flocks and show them ways in which they can be spiritually nourished as Christians.I don't really blame you guys for drawing people away from Christianity; I blame us Christians for not being examples of our Faith, and for being poor teachers of it.

ronandcarol

Premium Member
What do you think about hinduism ?
I don't think about Hinduism. Although I do think about all lost souls who don't
have Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.
I am saddened that some Christians have fallen away, but hold hope
that the Holy Spirit can urge them back home.

Thanks,
Ron and Carol

Stormcry

I don't think about Hinduism. Although I do think about all lost souls who don't
have Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

Are you sure ? How you can know who is lost and who's not ? If you wouldn't quote Bible veres, it will be better. Because I can say then, Vedas are much older than Bible .
According to me, The person who is thinking his body as self is lost . Now tell me why you think If we don't accept jesus, we get lost . Then what about the people born before jesus' birth . No one among them got that? Were they all lost ? I really don't understand what is the logic behind this 'lost' word?

Thanks .

Last edited:

Stormcry

This is the Christian DIR. There is no debating. You asked what Christians thought, they told you. Please leave it at that.

this is forum and general discussion is expected .

I just want to know what they think about hindu sanatana dharma.

I hope every christian will post their feelings about dharma.

Thank you

Clarity

Hinduism♥Krishna;3540594 said:
Hello ,

I'm a big believer in results.

The nation of India seems to be the product of several thousand years of entrenched Hinduism, and the results are positive. The people are free and educated, often inspiring and apparently open-minded. Obviously this is an earthbound perspective, not a religous one.

Not being a Hindu myself, I'm afraid that's the best I can do.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It's just another religion, and a very ancient one at that. *shrugs* It has a lot of good things in it and other things I disagree with.

Don't know much about Krishna. I like Shiva and Kali better.

I think it's sad when Christians lose their faith.

Troubadour

I think it's sad when Christians lose their faith.

I agree, but not in a sentimental way. As Shiranui117 said (beautifully), Christians must take responibility for this. Christianity has a lot of baggage, some of it good, some of it very not-good.

As someone who was raised a Christian, who now rejects the whole organised religion (or religions) that now represent Christianty* , I would say that my reason for doing so, was due to the Christians preaching hate, judgement of others, divisiveness and elitism, particularly in the US. (I am talking about so-called Conservative or Right Wing Christians).

Those people, for me, removed all of the love that Jesus taught of so simply, so purely, and replaced with a "religion to suit"; based on power, money, wealth and materialism.

So yes, it is sad, but it is not 'externally' sad (for example, "oh those poor people who have fallen"), it is sad for Human Christianity that, as Shiranui117 said, it is failing people, through the right wing agenda of hate, judgement and arrogance.

Back to the core question; I deeply respect Hinuism (most of it's branches anyway) and like that it tries to take a scientific viewpoint. I'm put off by all the different gods and their personalities (although I undrstand they are all Brahman in essence), but that's mostly due to my own lack of deep knowledge on the subject.

*this does not mean I reject god or Jesus; just the organised dogma that Human Christianity has become as a religion.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I agree, but not in a sentimental way. As Shiranui117 said (beautifully), Christians must take responibility for this. Christianity has a lot of baggage, some of it good, some of it very not-good.

As someone who was raised a Christian, who now rejects the whole organised religion (or religions) that now represent Christianty* , I would say that my reason for doing so, was due to the Christians preaching hate, judgement of others, divisiveness and elitism, particularly in the US. (I am talking about so-called Conservative or Right Wing Christians).

Those people, for me, removed all of the love that Jesus taught of so simply, so purely, and replaced with a "religion to suit"; based on power, money, wealth and materialism.

So yes, it is sad, but it is not 'externally' sad (for example, "oh those poor people who have fallen"), it is sad for Human Christianity that, as Shiranui117 said, it is failing people, through the right wing agenda of hate, judgement and arrogance.

Back to the core question; I deeply respect Hinuism (most of it's branches anyway) and like that it tries to take a scientific viewpoint. I'm put off by all the different gods and their personalities (although I undrstand they are all Brahman in essence), but that's mostly due to my own lack of deep knowledge on the subject.

*this does not mean I reject god or Jesus; just the organised dogma that Human Christianity has become as a religion.

Yes, I am aware of that. Since I'm a member of various minority groups, I'm acutely aware of that, much more than most are. Jesus warned us about those kinds of people.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Hinduism has some good points, but to me its a very strange & confusing religion for the reason that there are so many paths within, so many dieties and no unified doctrine. I dont know where to start with hinduism.
I also dont condone the idea of castes. If God created all of mankind, then he doesnt discriminate whereas I think hinduism does....i cant believe our creator would ever separate people into castes and for that reason i dont believe its been revealed by our creator.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaste :namaste

I couldnt resist reading this tread , as someone born in a christian country but practicing sanatana dharma it is realy nice to see some of the replies , ....

This is more complex. I study with a Hare Krishna family whom I'm friends with every Tuesday and we discuss our beliefs. The mother is a convert to the faith who left the Baptist church because she felt like her spiritual needs weren't being fulfilled in the church. Though I wish it wouldn't happen, I believe it's better to at least find another spiritual faith than abandon all religion and spirituality. It makes me happy at least that she still holds Jesus to a high regard. Hope that helps

I am so glad to see this kind of responce all to often people focus on the few negative comments , it realy helps to hear someone being glad for another who have found a faith which works for them .

quote Shiranui117
The fact that Christians are leaving their Faith is a bad reflection on our inability to properly educate our flocks and show them ways in which they can be spiritually nourished as Christians.I don't really blame you guys for drawing people away from Christianity; I blame us Christians for not being examples of our Faith, and for being poor teachers of it.

this is also such a thoughtfull and honest responce , after all isnt it true that anyone with a love of their faith will want to share it with others , the hindu that wants to share his religion is no different to the christian that wants to share his , it is human nature to share , to want to benifit another ,

yes it is true had the christain comunity aroungd me shown me a god I could understand , I may well be a christian now , but this is true also of many hindu who have converted to christianity , their families also neglected to inspire them to take up their own faith .

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear pegg :namaste

Hinduism has some good points, but to me its a very strange & confusing religion for the reason that there are so many paths within, so many dieties and no unified doctrine. I dont know where to start with hinduism.

I have also read and re read the Bible , and also I feel it has many fine points but also much that I canot comfortably comprehend yet both Buddhism and most Bindu beleifs just seem to fall perfectly into place in my mind , to me it shows that the lord is so mercifull that he provides for all , for you he sent his son for us he sent different forms of the lord for our salvation .
I also dont condone the idea of castes. If God created all of mankind, then he doesnt discriminate whereas I think hinduism does....i cant believe our creator would ever separate people into castes and for that reason i dont believe its been revealed by our creator.

I would just like to reassure you that many , many hindu do not approve of the caste system we do not belive it is the way ordained by the lord . the discrimination you now see as the modern day caste system is not how the divisions in society were first spoken of , the original system has now become badly corupted .
originaly it was a division by aptitude allone , that the son of a preist may become a preist , because he is reared in the right enviroment and from young learns the responcibilities of his caste , the son of a king will become a king because he also is reared and educated in the responcibility of the ruling class , but the entire system was to ensure fairness and protection the king sought the guidance of the preist so that he could govern his land and ensure the protection and wellbeing of his subjects .

we also are taught that it is the wish of our creator to follow his word and love all as our brothers , this is his wish and should also be ours , there should be no discrimination , only protection of the working classes . and never never was there ment to be an underclass , you may know that Ghandi ji fought his whole life to protect his fellow mankind , it was he that outlawed untouchability , he insisted to call them ''Harijan '' which means Gods People and he lived his life trying to set the example of using ones position wisely in the service of others this should be the true hindu veiw .

may be one day we will all have the pleasure of coming together as people of faith and celebrating the goodness present in all faiths . I think we would all be so plesantly surprised to find that we have much more in common than we initialy think :namaste

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
dear pegg :namaste

I have also read and re read the Bible , and also I feel it has many fine points but also much that I canot comfortably comprehend yet both Buddhism and most Bindu beleifs just seem to fall perfectly into place in my mind , to me it shows that the lord is so mercifull that he provides for all , for you he sent his son for us he sent different forms of the lord for our salvation .

Hi (namaste)
I wonder sometimes how much of our understanding comes from our cultural heritage and how much is learned. I guess i've grown up in a land where the laws we have are somewhat based on christian laws and principles and this surely makes it easier for me to comprehend the bible.

but much of what is in the bible is very universal to all cultures (not the mosaic laws, they were for ancient isrealites)

I would just like to reassure you that many , many hindu do not approve of the caste system we do not belive it is the way ordained by the lord . the discrimination you now see as the modern day caste system is not how the divisions in society were first spoken of , the original system has now become badly corupted .
originaly it was a division by aptitude allone , that the son of a preist may become a preist , because he is reared in the right enviroment and from young learns the responcibilities of his caste , the son of a king will become a king because he also is reared and educated in the responcibility of the ruling class , but the entire system was to ensure fairness and protection the king sought the guidance of the preist so that he could govern his land and ensure the protection and wellbeing of his subjects .

i appreciate that it has likely changed over time. But even if it was based on aptitude, being 'born' into a caste would not necessarily make you of the right 'aptitude' for a particular role. And aptitude is suually something we can develop if we are given the opportunity (thats why people go to school and learn a variety of skills. Some skills they will develop better then others and this will determine their aptitude. But being born into a particular group of people is does not automatically make one apt for a particular skill.

if anyone knows this, surely it is our creator who made us to be whatever we 'choose' to be.

we also are taught that it is the wish of our creator to follow his word and love all as our brothers , this is his wish and should also be ours , there should be no discrimination , only protection of the working classes . and never never was there ment to be an underclass , you may know that Ghandi ji fought his whole life to protect his fellow mankind , it was he that outlawed untouchability , he insisted to call them ''Harijan '' which means Gods People and he lived his life trying to set the example of using ones position wisely in the service of others this should be the true hindu veiw .

yes i know a little of Ghandi and what he fought for. And he's absolutely right, no one is below another person. We are all equals and the bible also teaches us this truth. The bible says we are all brothers and sisters....all of one family.

So if many hindu's believe this is true, why is the caste system still so deeply ingrained in Indian society?

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaste :namaste

I hope it is allright for me to discuss here with you in christian DIR

but coming from a christian country this is very interesting to discuss with other christians .

Hi (namaste)
I wonder sometimes how much of our understanding comes from our cultural heritage and how much is learned. I guess i've grown up in a land where the laws we have are somewhat based on christian laws and principles and this surely makes it easier for me to comprehend the bible.

this is what I find most interesting , in england truely practicing christans are in a small minority which is very sad the laws and principles which our society was founded upon are crumbling and a new self interest has taken the place of a christian unity .

but much of what is in the bible is very universal to all cultures (not the mosaic laws, they were for ancient isrealites)
it is sad but I can honestly say that I understand christianity better now but it took me going to another culture to receive the teachings that are in a lot of incidences totaly universal and in line with many christian principles .

i appreciate that it has likely changed over time. But even if it was based on aptitude, being 'born' into a caste would not necessarily make you of the right 'aptitude' for a particular role. And aptitude is usually something we can develop if we are given the opportunity (thats why people go to school and learn a variety of skills. Some skills they will develop better then others and this will determine their aptitude. But being born into a particular group of people is does not automatically make one apt for a particular skill.
of course it is very complex and I have realy simplified it for the sake of this conversation , in the begining of time the world was a very differnt place , we are talking of some very ancient instructions which were given inorder to insure a just society , of course there are incidences where a child does not have the inclination to follow in his caste , this happened with lord Buddha he was born a prince and raised in the ruling class of course as every father does he was full of hopes that his son would follow him and become a King and inherit the principality , but lord Buddha just did not feel right in this situation so he renounced his position . however incidences like this were few as in genneral it was considered ones duty to follow in ones family tradition . in the same way being the son of a Bhramin does not mean that one must become a preist but just that the oppertunity for that education is available to you .

after all it is only in relitively recent years that education has been free to all here in the west , before that if one were born in a wealthy family you had privilages of education that the working class did not have . the son of a blacksmith olny had the oppertunuty to learn a craft from his father .
if anyone knows this, surely it is our creator who made us to be whatever we 'choose' to be.
yes , I belive this also in one respect that the lord created mankind and gave us the free will to follow our own chosen path , he has blessed us , but we must realise this blessing and make the most of our lives , even a person born into a simple life can be a good christian or a good hindu he can be of benifit to his society in the smallest most simple way by being loving and thoughtfull . in the same way one born in the higest position with the benifit of the best education can use this education in two ways , to benifit himself , or to benifit society , to the lord there is no difference between the loving actions of a poor man or the loving actions of the powerfull man it is the motivation by which the lord is most pleased .

yes i know a little of Ghandi and what he fought for. And he's absolutely right, no one is below another person. We are all equals and the bible also teaches us this truth. The bible says we are all brothers and sisters....all of one family.
yes it is this truth that most religions share in common which make us truely human beings ...but there is this ugly nature which occurs in all humanity which because of their lack of true faith fear that they will not have enough , so because of this fear they hord and amass wealth , they become teritorial and fight over posession and control .
So if many hindu's believe this is true, why is the caste system still so deeply ingrained in Indian society?

it is just the same as the problems which have plagued the west where fear in the minds of men causes them to seek to hold power over another and hoard wealth and to work for themselves , throughout the world there are those who abuse the system , look into england and america's recent history , allthough thinking them selves christian countries they took slaves from other nations considereing them to be second class citizens , and allthough we have stoped this un just behavior we still support slave labour in third world countries , we slowly becoming more aware of this and fortunately this is begining to change . .....but isnt it true that we all have to look carefully into our own minds to see when our greed over wheighs our faith and prevents us from being that better person ?

which just leads me to think that we are actualy more alike than we think as it is only culture and distance that seperates us , faith it self is the most precious blessing ,as it is faith that allows us to be better people :namaste

askersha

Hinduism♥Krishna;3540594 said:
Hello ,

Hinduism has two basic ends; advaita and dvaita. To me, both of them are illogical and impossible.

According to advaita, "only Brahma (God) is real. everything else is illusory." My questions here are: whose illusion is this 'everything else'? If it is Brahma's illusion, how can we get illuded (if we are not part of Brahma)? If we are part of Brahma, then it means we are all real. And the illusion is of all of us. But, have we all created this illusion? (If yes, when? And why don't we remember it? And why don't we know how to create or control illusion? And have we created this illusion against ourselves?) If not, then, we don't end up being a part of Brahma, do we? (This leads to the Dvaita philosophy)

According to dvaita, "Brahma is NOT our creator, but we have to depend on Him for existence, survival etc." Although quite logical, there arises a question of 'dictatorship'. If Brahma decides to be bad forever, we are ALL in peril. What if Brahma doesn't act the way you want him to be? What if Brahma doesn't like devotion, goodness, love etc? We need to join hands to declare a war against Brahma RIGHT AWAY !!! Don't we?

ELoWolfe

Because Hinduism is cultural, I can not be a Hindu. I tried, but there is just too much tied to India that myself, as a sheltered Western New Yorker, could never comprehend. I get caught up in the names, titles and other foreign, non translated words.

But from what I could gather about Hinduism, it has helped me understand my own faith better. I never understood the "Wrath of God," until I had read a theologian describe it in a way that reminded me a lot of Karma. Jesus' sacrifice made more sense to me in the context of a guru and karma. I am working on the Trinity now.

It isn't enough for me to convert; as I said, I am not of the proper culture. But I have deep respect.