• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about hinduism ?

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
Brother, As a UU Christian, I do have a few honestly positive things to say concerning Hinduism:

1)All in all, it is a beautiful religion which, come to think of it, reminds me much of my Unitarian Universalist faith.

2) Hinduism, as different as it may be, is on track when it comes to devotion to God and His Grace which, as Titus 2:11 says, “has appeared unto all men"

3) Two things:
- A lesson from Jesus in the Parable of the Good Samaritan is even if you consider someone else's beliefs and convictions to be dead wrong, yet the fruit of their faith is righteousness, commend them. To these sorts of things and those actions and type of living, God calls ALL PEOPLE.
- A WARNING: A verbally-affirmed faith is worthless without allowing your life to bear record.
KEEP ROCKIN IT! Hare Krsna!!

Phil25

Hinduism♥Krishna;3540594 said:
Hello ,

I just want to know how you feel about our vedic hindu dharma ?

How you look towards our hindu's most beloved god krishna ?

And what you feel about Hinduism organization 'iskcon'
Which is converting Christians into hindus ?

Please share your experiences ,thoughts about hindu eternal religion .

Thank you .Jai shri Krishna !

Not a particularly great opinion
Same as above
Iskcon reminds me of hippies
I dont care about Christians converting to Hinduism. We have 2.2 billion of us. A loss of few wouldnt affect us much.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
It isn't enough for me to convert; as I said, I am not of the proper culture. But I have deep respect.

A lot of Westerner have converted to Hinduism. My parents were both raised Christian but converted in their early 20s without much difficulty. But I do think that some concepts and philosophies speak louder to some and not to others, which is normal and understandable.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hinduism has some good points, but to me its a very strange & confusing religion for the reason that there are so many paths within, so many dieties and no unified doctrine. I dont know where to start with hinduism.
I also dont condone the idea of castes. If God created all of mankind, then he doesnt discriminate whereas I think hinduism does....i cant believe our creator would ever separate people into castes and for that reason i dont believe its been revealed by our creator.

Hmm, I wish I'd seen this sooner as it's been months since you posted.

The caste system is a man-made social construct. It is not authorised by the scriptures. It's like having any social hierarchy. Think of England- in relatively recent history it was still scandal if someone of a particular class married someone of another class. They had a class system too. But I don't blame that on Christianity. It is a man made system.

Same with Caste in India. If we look at scripture and if we look into the history of the country, things are much different. The original 'caste' (varna) in the scriptures is simply a description of God creating people with different abilities and orientations. Some people thus are naturally inclined to physical labour, some are more intellectual, some are great at business etc. etc. We're not all the same. This simple idea has over time turned into what we know as the Caste system, which is slowly dying off as people become more educated (it's already illegal in India).

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

I never noticed this thread before today, probably because it is so old it dates back to the time I was making my first journey into "internet Hinduism" (even though this is a Christian DIR) and seldom would peek much into non-Hindu areas unless perhaps they were "Pagan" or if they were Jain or Buddhist or Sikh.

But I noticed it today from the main page because there were some recent replies.

Hello Christians, I hope you do not mind me (a Hindu) making two comments, actually I am surprised this thread was allowed at all in this DIR, no insult to the OP intended. By the way, I am a huge fan of Mel Gibson and loved his movie "The Passion" which has a Christian theme.

Comment 1

I can tell you assuredly that what I call "internet Hinduism", that is, internet active Hindus, specifically the tone and interests of, do not necessarily reflect at all the typical tone and interests of so many "day to day" Hindus I know who are too busy with their lives to be "internet Hindus". Many "internet Hindus" are more knowledgeable in specific sampradayas, or Vedas, etc., than your normal day-to-day Hindus, but they are sometimes more persistent and even "aggresive" compared to "regular" Hindus. They do not always reflect popular, day to day Hindus, and may give the wrong impression as to what is a typical Hindu.

What do I mean?

Well, I love many of such internet Hindus, perhaps I have now also become one (but it can be sometimes exhausting!, even to my peace!), but "internet Hinduism" while engaging, is not village Hinduism, and they are not your "everyday" Hindu but often they are "different" and perhaps more passionate about expressing their POV. I describe myself as a "village Hindu" or a "popular Hindu" (of the typical Hindu lay people, following the Hinduism of popular or common culture), yet like I said, I am also now sort of an "internet Hindu" but sometimes an "internet Hindu with a headache.

I have many relations from India, and I am a born American but for full disclosure my parents who are Euro are not Christian. But I mention this only to say that NONE of the vast Hindus I know from family ever participate in "internet Hinduism", none, zero. In fact even my wife who obviously knows I participate on the internet does not like me to do this too much (though actually she has contributed content by "advice").

So the "typical" Hindu does not participate. So do not think what you read is coming from a typical Hindu when you read an internet Hindu.

Comment 2

This has to do with the OP question to Christians about what Christians think about ISKCON (Hare Krishnas) converting Christians to Hindu or a Christian who then becomes a Krishna devotee.

I am not a "converted" Hindu since I was not a Christian. Nor am I an initiate of ISKCON.

However I do know a lot about ISKCON. I want to put some clarity to this question in context of the year 2014 verse 1966.

While it is true, the American devotees in 1966 were normally in the age range between 16 and 28, and were previously Christian or Jewish, some were of no previous religion. Some were Buddhist also. Though many were Christian or Jewish but typically not regular "church (or temple) goers". There were some "top devotees" who became "leaders" in ISKCON who were trained initially in religious study and Seminary. There were Christians who changed their affiliation to Hare Krishna due to intense tactics by ISKCON to win over their affiliation, but typically this was after such a "new devotee" already showed interest by coming to a temple, buying books or participating in sankirtan of Hari Nam. If they gave the ISKCON member their personal phone number, they could certainly expect a follow up phone call and invitation to come to a "Sunday feast" at the temple, or even to attend devotee group bhajans at a devotee's house. Usually the "private" bhajans in a home were organized by India born devotees, not American born, but they invited American born. At the temples, entire communities of Indians soon were coming, and the temple was usually a mix of about 75% American born and 25% Indian born. In truth, the Indian born always received special respect and front row attention, in particular the elderly Hindus from India were almost worshipped with love and attention and honors.

Now let us move the clock forward.

Today, there are many ISKCON temples which are majority Indian ancestry in attendance. About a 60 percen Indian to 40 percent American born. However there are "ISKCON farm communities" and rural ashrams and temples that are almost entirely American born devotees.

While there was a lot of "conversion" from Christian or Jew to Hare Krishna between 1966 and 1976, today many American born members were BORN Hindus because they were born to, and grew up in, ISKCON families. Yes, they had children and families.

Yes in the 60s there were those who were first hippies, and often already of a different religious "bent" than say a full Baptist Christian. Today, there are still those who would have called themself Christian initially, but perhaps only because their parents said they were this or that, but neither the parents or these "new devotees" were ever regular "church goers", most never would go. They were "secular".

So it is not correct to focus on "conversion" to ISKCON from Christian, in many if not most this was not the case. And today you now have those Americans who were, literally, born Hindu from day one.

Om Namah Sivaya

Last edited:

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram
Namaste

"internet Hinduism"

interesting subject ,....

Comment 1

I can tell you assuredly that what I call "internet Hinduism", that is, internet active Hindus, specifically the tone and interests of, do not necessarily reflect at all the typical tone and interests of so many "day to day" Hindus I know who are too busy with their lives to be "internet Hindus". Many "internet Hindus" are more knowledgeable in specific sampradayas, or Vedas, etc., than your normal day-to-day Hindus, but they are sometimes more persistent and even "aggresive" compared to "regular" Hindus. They do not always reflect popular, day to day Hindus, and may give the wrong impression as to what is a typical Hindu.

What do I mean?

I know exactly what you mean ...:)

Well, I love many of such internet Hindus, perhaps I have now also become one (but it can be sometimes exhausting!, even to my peace!), but "internet Hinduism" while engaging, is not village Hinduism, and they are not your "everyday" Hindu but often they are "different" and perhaps more passionate about expressing their POV. I describe myself as a "village Hindu" or a "popular Hindu" (of the typical Hindu lay people, following the Hinduism of popular or common culture), yet like I said, I am also now sort of an "internet Hindu" but sometimes an "internet Hindu with a headache.

and I know exactly whay you mean about the hedache :( ...and I must say sometimes some tears in the heart .

I have many relations from India, and I am a born American but for full disclosure my parents who are Euro are not Christian. But I mention this only to say that NONE of the vast Hindus I know from family ever participate in "internet Hinduism", none, zero. In fact even my wife who obviously knows I participate on the internet does not like me to do this too much (though actually she has contributed content by "advice").

So the "typical" Hindu does not participate. So do not think what you read is coming from a typical Hindu when you read an internet Hindu.

my family too were christian born but not practicing christian ....But I wonder how much of this ''internet hinduism is because participants do not have local temples or enough close hindu association ?

Comment 2

This has to do with the OP question to Christians about what Christians think about ISKCON (Hare Krishnas) converting Christians to Hindu or a Christian who then becomes a Krishna devotee.

there are some interesting points here which I will come back to later as I am out of time ......:)

nice post Shiva fan ji ...

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Hmm, I wish I'd seen this sooner as it's been months since you posted.

The caste system is a man-made social construct. It is not authorised by the scriptures. It's like having any social hierarchy. Think of England- in relatively recent history it was still scandal if someone of a particular class married someone of another class. They had a class system too. But I don't blame that on Christianity. It is a man made system.

Same with Caste in India. If we look at scripture and if we look into the history of the country, things are much different. The original 'caste' (varna) in the scriptures is simply a description of God creating people with different abilities and orientations. Some people thus are naturally inclined to physical labour, some are more intellectual, some are great at business etc. etc. We're not all the same. This simple idea has over time turned into what we know as the Caste system, which is slowly dying off as people become more educated (it's already illegal in India).

I dont think customs just die off...they must be fought off. Its no different in the west, they are still trying to fight for womens equality in the west so we know that cultural ideas dont just die off.

There has been a lot of news recently coming out of India about the violence against women situation and it seems that a lot of the violence is perpetrated against the lower castes. And when they seek justice, even the police dont take them seriously.

Its very sad.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram

I will be carefull not to derail the thread , as I assume it is what christians think of Hinduism ?

but Siva fan raises a good question , ....do Christians feel that they understand Hinduism from what they have read on the internet ?

or how many have met hindus and been surprised at what they have found ?

there are a couple of realy nice comments here ....

Phil25 .....I dont care about Christians converting to Hinduism. We have 2.2 billion of us. A loss of few wouldnt affect us much. 06-27-2014 01:03 AM

exactly why feel threatened ?

XxUUJesuscorexX A Radically Alternative Perspective on Hinduism
Brother, As a UU Christian, I do have a few honestly positive things to say concerning Hinduism: ...
1)All in all, it is a beautiful religion which, come to think of it, reminds me much of my Unitarian Universalist faith.

2) Hinduism, as different as it may be, is on track when it comes to devotion to God and His Grace which, as Titus 2:11 says, “has appeared unto all men"

welcome XxUUJesuscorexX ji

it is realy nice to hear someone say that they have studied Hinduism and found things that bring them to a better understanding with in their own faith , ...considering that the world is becoming a smaller place and we are in contact with other religions isnt it better that we become less threatened by the differences and learn to apreciate eachothers wisdom without feeling the need to convert , but just to share that appreciation .

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
namaskaram

I will be carefull not to derail the thread , as I assume it is what christians think of Hinduism ?

but Siva fan raises a good question , ....do Christians feel that they understand Hinduism from what they have read on the internet ?

Some of the Hindus on this forum are really nice and others are really nasty about Christianity and denigrate Our Lord (I'm sure you know which ones I'm talking about).

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't think I know enough about Hinduism to make a judgment about it. The more I study it, the more I find out I don't know. At best, I am unlearning misconceptions about the faith.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't think I know enough about Hinduism to make a judgment about it. The more I study it, the more I find out I don't know. At best, I am unlearning misconceptions about the faith.

What a refreshing and honest statement. Thanks. :)

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I dont think customs just die off...they must be fought off. Its no different in the west, they are still trying to fight for womens equality in the west so we know that cultural ideas dont just die off.

There has been a lot of news recently coming out of India about the violence against women situation and it seems that a lot of the violence is perpetrated against the lower castes. And when they seek justice, even the police dont take them seriously.

Its very sad.

I absolutely agree.

Farrukh

I think Hinduism isn't religion of nature, worst thing in this religion is religious sects like untouchables. this is against moral values and people will reject such practices for sure in future.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Dear Farrukh

I think Hinduism isn't religion of nature, worst thing in this religion is religious sects like untouchables. this is against moral values and people will reject such practices for sure in future.

regarding and treating a section of the population as untouchable was outlawed many years ago . it never was a sect of hinduism , it was a social construct born of ignorance and is against the tenents of hinduism .

poverty is a problem all over the world any true religion teaches us that this is wrong , but also all over the world there are the unscrupulous who do not abide by the true teachings of their religion and create divides in society which are not just .

over centurys the caste system has become very far removed from the original divisions in society which I think Madhuri refered to earlier , ....these divisions were bound by social responcibilities and each had there responcibility to another section of society ,there were four casts into which many ocupations were divided . untouchability grew up outside of this system as a fifth and lower class this was entirely wrong and was outlawed .

even now there are movements to remove some of the rigidity of the caste system , and I think it is true to say that every religion needs to make reforms as time goes on . and mostly these reforms become nececary due to missinturpretations and misssunderstandings becoming established in common behavior . this is often cultural rather than religious in origin .

please rest assured that these practices have allready been rejected .

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

Untouchables isn't Hindu religion.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think the higher forms of Hindu philosophy are the highest summit man has reached in his quest to understand the universe and himself.

GoodbyeDave

It's difficult to say what one thinks about a religion, unless it's some cult where everyone has to follow the party line. I read a few years ago a poll showing 25% of US Protestants think all Catholics will go to hell! So, if one were asked for an opinion on Christians, which of those two groups should one comment on?

Looking at the main beliefs of Hinduism, I'm happy with most:
1. God (i.e. Brahman)
2. The scriptures (śruti) — well, a think a lot are divinely inspired, but there's a lot of all-to-human speculation there as well. But I prefer them to the Christian Bible.
3. Reincarnation
4. Reaping what you sow (i.e. karma)
5. The goal of becoming divine (mokṣa)
I do have trouble with Hindu ethics, though. "Do your duty" is not really good enough, and I can't accept that duty varies as much with circumstances as many Hindus have thought. I wish that philosophers such as Rāmānuja and Madhva had paid the same attention to ethics as Plato or Mencius.

So why aren't I a Hindu? Well, it is very tied to the ethnic community. If you search on-line for London mosques, you get detailed guides. If you search for London Hindu temples, the only one you can find out about is the BAPS one: evidentially the rest are for locals in the Indian diaspora who already know about them.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I do have trouble with Hindu ethics, though. "Do your duty" is not really good enough, and I can't accept that duty varies as much with circumstances as many Hindus have thought. I wish that philosophers such as Rāmānuja and Madhva had paid the same attention to ethics as Plato or Mencius.

So why aren't I a Hindu? Well, it is very tied to the ethnic community. If you search on-line for London mosques, you get detailed guides. If you search for London Hindu temples, the only one you can find out about is the BAPS one: evidentially the rest are for locals in the Indian diaspora who already know about them.

We do have ethics, especially the Yamas and Niyamas. But I agree that philosophy seems to be in the forefront for some, more than ethics. Personally, I find that kind of sad.

As for the diaspora problem, that's also true. As a non-proseltysing faith, we don't come across as particularly welcoming. Again, I think that's kind of sad, and do wish more temples would make more effort on it. Often it comes down to linguistics and manpower.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I

Huh? I types in Hindu Temples in London and got a lot of results. These are teh main ones that come up:

Shree Swaminarayan Temple

London Sri Murugan Temple

Sri Mahalakshmi Temple

Shri Nathji Sanatan Hindu Mandir

Shri Ganapathy Temple (Hindu)