• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about hinduism ?

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram

Have you seen them lately? In my experience, ISKCON has grown up. I'm saddened when they're judged by some actions of 40 years ago.

at last I am glad to see some non judgemental thinking , .....

I think it is true to say that all traditions which have been transplanted to the west , have grown up some what , yet there remain some childish persons that continue to fuel the fire of misstrust .

even in the 70s there were some good devotees in ISKCON it is just that you dont hear about them , they were the ones quietly getting on with promoting ''Krsna Consciousness'' and they have done a lot to benifit others , ....but it is allways the 'Fruit Loops' that everyone remembers and that everyone continualy talks about , ...and please everyone lets not concentrate on the ''Fruit Loops'' after all every tradition has some !!!

and amongst the Loopyist of them all are those that continualy mind another persons business and continualy criticise each others traditions and behaviors rather than getting on with their own practice .

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Vinayaka ji

I realise this thread was started by a Hindu, and originally put as a question to Christians. Then it was moved to debates. It seems to me a fine line to walk. What's stopping someone starting threads "What do you think of __________ ?" and then using it as a place to bash that particular faith.

Just pointing out a slippery slope. Maybe this thread isn't such a good idea.

the question it self is not so bad , it is a good chance for Hindus and Christians to come together and dispell a few commonly held missunderstandings , which is never a bad thing .

but it is the question on the end about ISKCON that could be taken as being deliberately contentious ?

And what you feel about Hinduism organization 'iskcon'
Which is converting Christians into hindus ?

after all it isnt only ISKCON that is Converting westerners ....and I say westerners rather than Christians as most of the converts were non practicing or lapsed Christians , ....

Just pointing out a slippery slope. Maybe this thread isn't such a good idea.

with this I must agree .

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
even in the 70s there were some good devotees in ISKCON it is just that you dont hear about them , they were the ones quietly getting on with promoting ''Krsna Consciousness'' and they have done a lot to benifit others , ....but it is allways the 'Fruit Loops' that everyone remembers and that everyone continualy talks about , ...and please everyone lets not concentrate on the ''Fruit Loops'' after all every tradition has some !!!

Fruit Loops is a cold breakfast cereal here.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Can you please name any other person other than Krishna who prophesied and the prophecy got fulfilled?

Regards

Krishna wasn't a prophet by any standard. He was God. There is no reason to interpret that he was given a message. He says very clearly that he is God.
Hinduism doesn't have prophets although we do have people similar to saints.

We have what you might think are prophecies but Vedic scripture does not have authors associated with them so I can't give you names.

Last edited:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Because Hinduism is cultural, I can not be a Hindu. I tried, but there is just too much tied to India that myself, as a sheltered Western New Yorker, could never comprehend. I get caught up in the names, titles and other foreign, non translated words.

But from what I could gather about Hinduism, it has helped me understand my own faith better. I never understood the "Wrath of God," until I had read a theologian describe it in a way that reminded me a lot of Karma. Jesus' sacrifice made more sense to me in the context of a guru and karma. I am working on the Trinity now.

It isn't enough for me to convert; as I said, I am not of the proper culture. But I have deep respect.

I feel the same way exactly. I do not need to adopt a culture to appreciate Hinduism yet alone bother with the vast piles of texts which not even Hindus themselves bother with. I already adopted Arabic culture I am not longer going to adopt another. It seems entirely pointless to me and on top of that is the confusion of Sanatana Dharma that it makes it look like a mountain when you want to understand it.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Krishna wasn't a prophet by any standard. He was God. There is no reason to interpret that he was given a message. He says very clearly that he is God.
Hinduism doesn't have prophets although we do have people similar to saints.

We have what you might think are prophecies but Vedic scripture does not have authors associated with them so I can't give you names.

One who prophecies is a prophet. I find Krishna doing it:

Hindu Kali Yuga End Krishna Avatar Prophecy

Bhagavad Gita 4:7, Bhagavad Gita 10:4, Bhagavad Gita 4:6-11, Bhagavad Gita 18:61, Bhagavad Gita 18:50-73

“So, if the Hindu sages are correct, and we are living in the Kali Yuga, and this is the age of the degeneration of Humanity, God, their Lord Krishna, will be made known. Not as a separate entity, as that would be physically impossible, but as a manifestation within an entity, a man, who gives of himself, or connects himself, with the Supreme Spirit, the Supreme Consummation of Knowledge, the Liberation of Dharma - that attainment of Brahman, or being at One with the Supreme Godhead.

A person will rise, connect with God, and lead Humanity on the correct 'Path of Righteousness', thereby ushering in a 'Golden Age' - the next Satya Yuga.”

2012 Genesis - Unlocking the Blessings and Prophecies of 2012 and the Next Epoch - hindu kali yuga end krishna avatar prophecy

In this sense Krishna is a prophet.

If there is some other personage, of a good character, in Hinduism in the ancient times who made a prophecy that got fulfilled or in any other religion there is no harm in accepting such personage a prophet.

Of course one could differ with me; we are just discussing to find the truth.

Regards

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
paarsurrey, I feel you will continue to project your idea about what a prophet is onto Hinduism, even if 100 Hindus came here and told you Hinduism doesn't have prophets. So you will always have your 'truth' and we will always have ours.

This is the result of subconscious mind (memory mind) conditioning, and quite understandable. You've read or been told over and over that all religions have prophets, so have come to believe it.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes but he is entitled to think that Krishna is a prophet because it may be true according to his religion. As the question of the OP asks what people think of Hinduism, he has a legitimate response. It is not the Hindu perspective but it is his.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes but he is entitled to think that Krishna is a prophet because it may be true according to his religion. As the question of the OP asks what people think of Hinduism, he has a legitimate response. It is not the Hindu perspective but it is his.

Yes, of course. :) I hope I wasn't insinuating it wasn't his right.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Bhagavad Gita 4:7, Bhagavad Gita 10:4, Bhagavad Gita 4:6-11, Bhagavad Gita 18:61, Bhagavad Gita 18:50-73

Chapter 4, Verse 6.
Although I am unborn and My transcendental body never deteriorates, and although I am the Lord of all sentient beings, I still appear in every millennium in My original transcendental form.

Chapter 4, Verse 7.
Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion--at that time I descend Myself.

Chapter 4, Verse 8.
In order to deliver the pious and to annihilate the miscreants, as well as to reestablish the principles of religion, I advent Myself millennium after millennium.

Chapter 4, Verse 9.
One who knows the transcendental nature of My appearance and activities does not, upon leaving the body, take his birth again in this material world, but attains My eternal abode, O Arjuna.

Chapter 4, Verse 10.
Being freed from attachment, fear and anger, being fully absorbed in Me and taking refuge in Me, many, many persons in the past became purified by knowledge of Me--and thus they all attained transcendental love for Me.

Chapter 4, Verse 11.
All of them--as they surrender unto Me--I reward accordingly. Everyone follows My path in all respects, O son of Prtha.

Chapter 10, Verse 4-5.
Intelligence, knowledge, freedom from doubt and delusion, forgiveness, truthfulness, self-control and calmness, pleasure and pain, birth, death, fear, fearlessness, nonviolence, equanimity, satisfaction, austerity, charity, fame and infamy are created by Me alone.

Bhagavad Gita, Chapter 18: Conclusion--The Perfection of Renunciation 23 verses is too many to quote. But I have to ask, what Bhagavad Gita did you read? Certainly not the one Krishna spoke. The verses you cite have nothing to do with any predictions. I think at this point you are simply arguing and trying to one-up. Not cool.

Nothingness888

Those are great scriptures. Do you have more?

I enjoy the Gita and how it describes the Most High. It says He fills all and created all.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Those are great scriptures. Do you have more?

I enjoy the Gita and how it describes the Most High. It says He fills all and created all.

The Upanishads are great too. I think sometimes they can be a bit deep, but it depends on the translator and commentator.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram ,

it is s aimple missunderstanding , prophet , being one who prophasises , one who explains what will happen ....which krsna does , ....

in the Christian and islamic sence a 'phrophet' it is an intermediary , one could say that Krsna allthough he is the supreme himself he acts as the intermediary by appearing time and time again in what apears to be human form , after all even Arjuna Krsna's dearest friend is having difficulty understanding this apparently human form is indeed the supreme himself .

when Arjuna finaly realises he appologises to Krsna for having treated him as another ordinary being , ......
Thinking of You as my friend, I have rashly addressed You "O Krsna ," "O yadava ," "O my friend ," not knowing Your glories . Please forgive whatever I may have done in madness or in love .
I have dishonored You many times , jesting as we relaxed , lay on the same bed , or sat or ate together , sometimes alone and sometimes in front of many friends . O infallible one , please excuse me for all those offenses.
...ch ..11 v ..41-42

Chapter 4, Verse 6.
Although I am unborn and My transcendental body never deteriorates, and although I am the Lord of all sentient beings,I still appear in every millennium in My original transcendental form.

Chapter 4, Verse 7.
Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion--at that time I descend Myself.

Chapter 4, Verse 8.
In order to deliver the pious and to annihilate the miscreants, as well as to re establish the principles of religion, I advent Myself millennium after millennium.

Chapter 4, Verse 9.
One who knows the transcendental nature of My appearance and activities does not, upon leaving the body, take his birth again in this material world, but attains My eternal abode, O Arjuna.

Chapter 4, Verse 10.
Being freed from attachment, fear and anger, being fully absorbed in Me and taking refuge in Me, many, many persons in the past became purified by knowledge of Me--and thus they all attained transcendental love for Me.

Chapter 4, Verse 11.
All of them--as they surrender unto Me--I reward accordingly. Everyone follows My path in all respects, O son of Prtha.

Chapter 10, Verse 4-5.
Intelligence, knowledge, freedom from doubt and delusion, forgiveness, truthfulness, self-control and calmness, pleasure and pain, birth, death, fear, fearlessness, nonviolence, equanimity, satisfaction, austerity, charity, fame and infamy are created by Me alone.

Bhagavad Gita, Chapter 18: Conclusion--The Perfection of Renunciation 23 verses is too many to quote. But I have to ask, what Bhagavad Gita did you read? Certainly not the one Krishna spoke. The verses you cite have nothing to do with any predictions. I think at this point you are simply arguing and trying to one-up. Not cool.

forgive me bolding your text , ...but in all parts bolded krsna explains what will happen , ....this could be said to be a prophesy , a divine revelation , ....untill one realises Krsna to be the supreme himself .

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I love Hinduism and Krishna, the only thing that keeps me from being a Hindu, is myself. I'm scared of what people will think, I'm scared about fitting in, I'm scared of not getting things right, etc. I've never experienced going to a temple so I don't know if I'll get the feeling that it's my home. I also sometimes feel a bit confused about what to do next, what to read. Hinduism has so many books (and often huge) you need some serious motivation! Plus there's the question of which deity to worship? If it's simply who you like, then I'd probably go with Krishna.

There's something captivating about it, so old and yet possess kind words of wisdom. I simply cannot forget about it. Beautiful stories and imagery too. Unlike any other religions, IMO.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I love Hinduism and Krishna, the only thing that keeps me from being a Hindu, is myself. I'm scared of what people will think, I'm scared about fitting in, I'm scared of not getting things right, etc. I've never experienced going to a temple so I don't know if I'll get the feeling that it's my home. I also sometimes feel a bit confused about what to do next, what to read. Hinduism has so many books (and often huge) you need some serious motivation! Plus there's the question of which deity to worship? If it's simply who you like, then I'd probably go with Krishna.

There's something captivating about it, so old and yet possess kind words of wisdom. I simply cannot forget about it. Beautiful stories and imagery too. Unlike any other religions, IMO.

Honestly the only temple where I feel at 'home' at is a temple in my own home. Otherwise going to the temple can be nice but it's almost more of a community thing for me. This isn't true for everyone. Many people feel great things at a temple. But it shouldn't matter.

Your Ishta Deva, or worshipful deity, is one that should make you feel an instinctive attraction. There is a reason why an individual is attracted to a particular deity. I too am pulled to Krishna.

I think it's good to arm yourself with knowledge before getting involved with any religious community as each person will attempt to indoctrinate you with their own ideas and interpretations (speaking of any religious group).

As for scriptures, I'd be reading the Bhagavad Gita and Upanishads for philosophy and the Mahabharata and Ramayana for knowledge of the pastimes of God on Earth.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I love Hinduism and Krishna, the only thing that keeps me from being a Hindu, is myself. I'm scared of what people will think, I'm scared about fitting in, I'm scared of not getting things right, etc. I've never experienced going to a temple so I don't know if I'll get the feeling that it's my home.

There are probably 10 regular contributors on these forums who once felt the same way. :)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The holiest person I have ever met is a Hindu.

It's difficult for me to describe. I am not used to being impressed that way. My family is conservative Catholic and littered with high ranking Christians.

But a Hindu woman, Madhu, used to live here. Her family runs a big temple in North Carolina. Some Hindu holy man was passing through and staying with them for a few days. The entire local Hindu community was invited, but that didn't even fill her living room. So she also invited me.
Of course, he and I were introduced as best as two people who have nothing in common can be. He spoke no English and I don't even know what language he did speak. But I sat in a corner next to Madhu and just listened and watched him interact with the other people. At first, Madhu kept trying to translate. But it was too fast and personal for me to really understand, and frankly it just didn't matter. The words were not important.

The man fairly glowed. He radiated a strength and serenity and I just basked in it. He was humorous and insightful and I didn't have to understand a word he said. None of it was directed at me anyway.
Then the evening ended and I never saw him again.

Like I said, it is hard to put this in words. I'm not a religious person and am not easily impressed with religiosity. But that guy had something I've never seen before or since.

Tom

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey, I feel you will continue to project your idea about what a prophet is onto Hinduism, even if 100 Hindus came here and told you Hinduism doesn't have prophets. So you will always have your 'truth' and we will always have ours.

This is the result of subconscious mind (memory mind) conditioning, and quite understandable. You've read or been told over and over that all religions have prophets, so have come to believe it.

This sub-forum is not DIR; when somebody writes here, it implies that one wants an open discussion.

There are Hindu denominations who think that Krishna definitely made a prophecy for the latter days; and I quoted it from a Hindu site.

If some or many or all Hindus consider Krishna a god; not withstanding that approach, he made a prophecy for future that stands fulfilled now; so in this sense he is a truthful prophet and I love him and believe in his truthfulness.

This prophecy has many parallels.

Likewise Jesus made a prophecy for the latter days; his Second Coming in the End of times; and everybody here knows that Christians consider Jesus a god, not withstanding that approach, he made a prophecy that stands fulfilled now, so in this sense Jesus is a truthful prophet and I love him and believe in his truthfulness.

Likewise Buddha; though not all Buddhists worship him as god. I consider Buddha also a truthful prophet and I love him and believe in his truthfulness.

Likewise Zoroaster; but his followers definitely don't worship him and are monotheists and I have read many of their scriptures, very beautiful scriptures. So I have no reason not to believe in his being a truthful prophet and no reason not to believe in his truthfulness.

Likewise Moses; though the Judaism people don't consider him god; but definitely in "image of G-d". And Judaism people also wait for a Moshiach.I consider Moses also a truthful prophet and I love him and believe in his truthfulness.

Likewise... and likewise and likewise...

Where do I err please?

Since some other non-Hindus; probably or most probably Christians also written here.

Should the globe be divided into many parts; one created and ruled by Krishna and another created and ruled by Jesus. Should we reasonably and rationally divide the humanity in pieces and the infinite pieces as there are said to be 32000+ denominations of Christianity and innumerable (exact figure not known, please tell me exactly) denominations of Hinduism and other religions .

While apparently there is no difference between a human in the East or human in the West and North and South.

My questions are addressed to everybody and open for response to everybody.

To make it clear; I am and Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

Regards