• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about hinduism ?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, Hindus are overwhelmingly cremated, not buried. ;) But the idea of becoming a new entity after death is correct. Sri Krishna says in the Bhagavad Gita 12.22 "As a person puts on new garments, giving up old ones, similarly, the soul accepts new material bodies, giving up the old and useless ones." We're not necessarily reborn as a 'person'. Depending on one's karma (and there are a multitude of categories of karma), or actions, one can be reborn as any form of life. Not as a rock, however, contrary to popular belief. Rocks or anything else inanimate can neither create nor use up karma. So, how does a soul create karma if reborn as a centipede? Well, centipedes can't create karma, but they can use up their store of karma from previous births. The Buddhist take on it is a little different. Though I understand it, I'll defer to a Buddhist to explain it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Depending on one's karma (and there are a multitude of categories of karma), or actions, one can be reborn as any form of life.

This belief is also sectarian, most likely unique to Vaishnavism, but I'm not really sure. For example, I don't believe it. My belief is humans can occasionally be reborn as dogs, cats, but it's unusual,and happens when at the point of death the soul is really confused. (Alcoholism, sudden accident, etc.) Generally it's as another human.

Just though I'd point that out so people reading this thread don't think all Hindus agree on this. As with pretty much everything, there are differing views. :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
This belief is also sectarian, most likely unique to Vaishnavism, but I'm not really sure. For example, I don't believe it. My belief is humans can occasionally be reborn as dogs, cats, but it's unusual,and happens when at the point of death the soul is really confused. (Alcoholism, sudden accident, etc.) Generally it's as another human.

Just though I'd point that out so people reading this thread don't think all Hindus agree on this. As with pretty much everything, there are differing views. :)

Yes very good points, thanks. There are many variations on basic beliefs within Hinduism and Buddhism on the subject. I don't know enough about Sikhism and Jainism to speak on their beliefs.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Do you want a totally sincere opinion, or a politically correct opinion?

well...Let me know

I believe the individual who asked thought he wanted a sincere opinion, but then when he got some, he didn't like them. (Just going back through the thread) If that's the case, then best not to ask. This is, however, a place of general religious harmony, and most of us take some pains to be a least mildly polite. Some more than others. As Hindus, it's generally our duty (as is the case with most religions) to attempt to correct or balance out misconceptions when they come our way.

So long story short ... it's up to you. :)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I believe the individual who asked thought he wanted a sincere opinion, but then when he got some, he didn't like them. (Just going back through the thread) If that's the case, then best not to ask. This is, however, a place of general religious harmony, and most of us take some pains to be a least mildly polite. Some more than others. As Hindus, it's generally our duty (as is the case with most religions) to attempt to correct or balance out misconceptions when they come our way.

So long story short ... it's up to you. :)

Well, I know very little about Hinduism. What I know is that it's a polytheistic religion, and is very very complex.
But I don't know what the dominant values are . Well, I've heard of a Hindu temple, where there were Kama Sutra scenes carved in the rock.

I don't think that Kama Sutra is something spiritual, because those positions focus on genital pleasure, which is based upon a very materialistic vision of life.

As a Christian I believe in romantic sex, where beauty (and not genital pleasure, or lust) is what two lovers focus on.
Besides, those scenes seen from the outside are not romantic at all.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I know very little about Hinduism. What I know is that it's a polytheistic religion, and is very very complex.

It is indeed way more complicated than that. It's not polytheistic across the Hindu board. That's a popular misconception. Hinduism runs the gamut from strict monotheism/monism to henotheism to polytheism, and any and every -theism in the spectrum.

But I don't know what the dominant values are . Well, I've heard of a Hindu temple, where there were Kama Sutra scenes carved in the rock.

I don't think that Kama Sutra is something spiritual, because those positions focus on genital pleasure, which is based upon a very materialistic vision of life.

There are some temples with very explicit carvings, but it's much deeper than simple genital pleasure and materialism. In fact, it's actually based in spiritualism. The west has co-opted it and calls it tantra, thinking of tantric sex, but it's anything but that. Briefly it has to do with the union of two persons/souls.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hay85, I find that sad and humorous at the same time. Of 10 000 or more famous temples in India, that's the one that gets the press. :)

So when archeologists traveled to India, and came upon that temple, it hooked them. So did nudity in the South Pacific. So perhaps it says something.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
There are some temples with very explicit carvings, but it's much deeper than simple genital pleasure and materialism. In fact, it's actually based in spiritualism. The west has co-opted it and calls it tantra, thinking of tantric sex, but it's anything but that. Briefly it has to do with the union of two persons/souls.

Well, if they wanted to represent the union of two souls, why didn't they carve a missionary position scene, without showing genitals?
I guess that everyone would agree on that it would look more romantic and spiritual

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, if they wanted to represent the union of two souls, why didn't they carve a missionary position scene, without showing genitals?
I guess that everyone would agree on that it would look more romantic and spiritual

Because the east is not hung up on the human body as the west is. It was only the invasions and colonizations of the west that brought shame and prudity upon the human body. The genitals are just as much a part of the body, not being given a second thought. We eat for pleasure as much as for sustenance, don't we?

MD

qualiaphile
It is beautiful religion philosophically and very tolerant, allowed religiously oppressed people to come to India over centuries and thrive. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There are different takes on this as well. On the large gopurams of the temples of Tamil Nadu they try to carve stuff to represent every aspect of life, and sexuality is just one of them. So there may be 13 tiers of sculpting, showing family life, warriors, pujas, Gods, plants and animals, planets, and a vast multiplicity of other stuff. But sure if you could climb up there and look, you'd most likely find some scenes of sexuality hidden in the midst. According to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khajuraho_Group_of_Monuments about 10% of the carvings at the temple in question explore sexuality.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Because the east is not hung up on the human body as the west is. It was only the invasions and colonizations of the west that brought shame and prudity upon the human body. The genitals are just as much a part of the body, not being given a second thought. We eat for pleasure as much as for sustenance, don't we?

Well, I understand you perfectly. Nudity is not something to be ashamed of; I just think that sex is beautiful and spiritual when it is accompanied by romance. And romance is a situation that is created when there is the contemplation of beauty.
Romeo and Juliet are a perfect example of romantic love. They fell in love with one another's beauty. But unfortunately, not all of us are as beautiful as Romeo and Juliet. So romantic love and consequently romantic sex are very rare, and that's why people are abstinent from sex, where they are not that beautiful.
This speech is for explaining that romantic sex is a gift, and has nothing to do with genital organs.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I understand you perfectly. Nudity is not something to be ashamed of; I just think that sex is beautiful and spiritual when it is accompanied by romance. And romance is a situation that is created when there is the contemplation of beauty.
Romeo and Juliet are a perfect example of romantic love. They fell in love with one another's beauty. But unfortunately, not all of us are as beautiful as Romeo and Juliet. So romantic love and consequently romantic sex are very rare, and that's why people are abstinent from sex, where they are not that beautiful.
This speech is for explaining that romantic sex is a gift, and has nothing to do with genital organs.

You're missing the point I stated that it's not only about physical pleasure, though that is a part of it. It's the union of two souls. You can't get much more romantic than that. Sex is pleasurable for a reason... so we do it to propagate the species. Romeo and Juliet were fictional, idealized people. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But this is now straying away from the original topic, so I'll leave it there.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You're missing the point I stated that it's not only about physical pleasure, though that is a part of it. It's the union of two souls. You can't get much more romantic than that. Sex is pleasurable for a reason... so we do it to propagate the species. Romeo and Juliet were fictional, idealized people. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But this is now straying away from the original topic, so I'll leave it there.

Well, beauty does count. That's the reason why ugly people in the Western countries are almost always single people and with a practically absent sexual life.

Maybe it's our fault, I mean us Westerners. We are obsessed too much with beauty, I don't know.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I dont like hindu people in general as long as they classify themselves as hindu first. This doesnt happen with JWs for instance. They are really fun to chat unlike hindus that always show too much of ego. I just hope not much of them convert and begin to classify themselves as hindus, that would be a disaster for earth. This is how hindu people make it 'feel' to me. Hinduism itself on the otherhand is a treasure for the world.

Wow, I've never heard this before. What Hindu people have you met? It's certainly a pity that you have this impression. I know so many humble and wonderful Hindu people.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe the idea is that something after death goes into the ground gets eaten and becomes the new person in a new life. Please correct me if there is a different perspective.

Hmmm..the body does not become a new body. At the time of death, the soul (which is the real identity) leaves the old body and enters a new one giving it life. This is reincarnation.
My only confusion is in your saying the word materialistic.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
A lot of what I know about it I can really relate to, but I only know a little bit about it. I wish I could learn more if only I could get past learning the words & terms it uses, some of which are really confusing to me.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Wow, I've never heard this before. What Hindu people have you met? It's certainly a pity that you have this impression. I know so many humble and wonderful Hindu people.

I've never run into it either. :shrug: Except on the internet. :cool: There are nice and nasty people in all groups. You know, I've always read that priests generally won't give you the time of day, but that's not been my experience at all. Maybe I'm something of a curiosity, but the priests have virtually gone out of their way to be friendly, as have other devotees. In fact tonight when I went to take the light and blessing, the young priest started chatting me up, asking me my name and such, then told me his name, saying it was nice to meet me, all with a big smile. Of course, I'm just one person and could be the exception. :p