• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about hinduism ?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Well, beauty does count. That's the reason why ugly people in the Western countries are almost always single people and with a practically absent sexual life.

Maybe it's our fault, I mean us Westerners. We are obsessed too much with beauty, I don't know.

Off topic, but I remember reading somewhere that uglyism (or beautyism) would be the last ism to go, after racial discrimination, gender discrimination, sexual orientation discrimination, age discrimination. Your comments make me think that what I read was probably correct.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Well, if they wanted to represent the union of two souls, why didn't they carve a missionary position scene, without showing genitals?

What's wrong with genitals, and what's so great about missionary?

Anyway, to answer the OP, I practiced Hinduism for a few years as many members will remember (I don't anymore), so understand that my answers come from that perspective.

Hinduism♥Krishna;3540594 said:

I just want to know how you feel about our vedic hindu dharma ?
A vast forest, with sweet and sour fruits growing on massive trees, and clear-water lakes cool to the throat.
How you look towards our hindu's most beloved god krishna ?
A God I didn't really follow. When I practiced, I was more of a Shakta-Shaiva.
And what you feel about Hinduism organization 'iskcon'
Which is converting Christians into hindus ?
Respectful disagreement.
Though I think it's awesome that they attend the Solstice Celebrations at Stonehenge.
Please share your experiences ,thoughts about hindu eternal religion .

Good people, bad people, high philosophy, ancient poems, gorgeous artwork, beautiful music...

Basically, I have a very high opinion of it.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Romeo and Juliet are a perfect example of romantic love. They fell in love with one another's beauty.

That's what you got out of that story? I view them as selfish little brats. I never did like that story and reading it in high school was a bore (although I enjoy the Baz Luhrmann film, where Leonardo looks so girly he could've played the part of Juliet, lol).

Well, beauty does count. That's the reason why ugly people in the Western countries are almost always single people and with a practically absent sexual life.

Yeah, no. That's not why all people who are celibate are celibate or why single people are single. Not even most. Getting sex has very little to do with how you look, on the whole of it.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Romeo and Juliet are a perfect example of romantic love. They fell in love with one another's beauty.

:biglaugh:

That's absolutely hilarious.

Romeo and Juliet were young (~15-16-ish), in a very short-sighted if highly emotionally charged fling that would probably not have lasted terribly long. Don't forget: the story began with Romeo moping over breaking up with his previous girlfriend, and at a party he attended just to look upon his ex, he immediately forgets about this other girl upon seeing Juliet.

It's not terribly unlikely that he would have done the same later on, forgetting all about Juliet in favor of some new girl.

What they had wasn't love. It was extreme obsession. And it got both of them killed.

The idea of Romeo and Juliet being the "ideal romantic couple" comes out of an attempt to whitewash the play, which has unfortunately survived to the present day when presenting the story to children.

Last edited:

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Hinduism♥Krishna;3540594 said:
Hello ,

I just want to know how you feel about our vedic hindu dharma ?

How you look towards our hindu's most beloved god krishna ?

And what you feel about Hinduism organization 'iskcon'
Which is converting Christians into hindus ?

Please share your experiences ,thoughts about hindu eternal religion .

Thank you .Jai shri Krishna !

I like hamburgers.

Otherwise, no offense intended.

Convert away as it suits you all. I'm still a heretic. Have fun.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
That's what you got out of tha.t story? I view them as selfish little brats. I never did like that story and reading it in high school was a bore (although I enjoy the Baz Luhrmann film, where Leonardo looks so girly he could've played the part of Juliet, lol).

Well...maybe I think of the magnificent Zeffirelli version. I think that Zeffirelli practically read in Shakespeare's mind because he underlined the characters' beauty and that love at first sight is something divine and spiritual.

Yeah, no. That's not why all people who are celibate are celibate or why single people are single. Not even most. Getting sex has very little to do with how you look, on the whole of it.
The truth is that ugly people difficultly can fall in love with each other, because falling in love is extremely related to beauty (aesthetic contemplation).
Well, if ugly people have sex, that's probably lust.

I don't want to go off topic. But if Hindus think that beauty is not necessary, they are different than us Christians. God is beauty and truth. As the poet Keats wrote: Beauty is truth and Truth is beauty.
By truth he meant God.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
:biglaugh:

That's absolutely hilarious.

Romeo and Juliet were young (~15-16-ish), in a very short-sighted if highly emotionally charged fling that would probably not have lasted terribly long. Don't forget: the story began with Romeo moping over breaking up with his previous girlfriend, and at a party he attended just to look upon his ex, he immediately forgets about this other girl upon seeing Juliet.
I find that incredibly romantic...I don't know if you have ever seen Zeffirelli's version. The party scene, where they meet for the first time listening to the song "What is a youth?", make people cry out of joy. That's the most romantic moment in movies history, and one of the things that make life worth-living.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I find that incredibly romantic...I don't know if you have ever seen Zeffirelli's version. The party scene, where they meet for the first time listening to the song "What is a youth?", make people cry out of joy. That's the most romantic moment in movies history, and one of the things that make life worth-living.

Yes I've seen that one. It proves my point: Romeo was prone to completely forget about Juliet for some other girl down the line, betraying her. Not so romantic now, is it?

They also knew nothing about each other, didn't know if they shared the same interests, and certainly didn't know about the others' ability to fully commit to a long-term relationship. That's not love, that's obsession; or rather, lust, which I believe is one of the Seven Deadly Sins?

I'm not saying true love cannot be at (relative) first sight; I know of a couple that met, got married a week later, and then a few years ago, both of them died weeks apart from each other after many, many decades of a happy marriage. But it requires a degree of sacrifice from both. And here's the thing about sacrifice: it involves giving something up that you don't want to give up for the sake of the relationship. (Life doesn't count, because upon one or both being dead, the relationship is naturally over).

These two kids were going through the initial Passion Fire of a new relationship. The Test of True Love happens after that Fire has died, and the problems and conflicts rear their ugly heads.

Besides, seriously? THAT'S counted among the "most romantic" moments? :facepalm: Dude, I've even seen Casablanca, and IMO even THAT'S got nothing on the subplot of Conner McLeod's relationship with his wife Heather from Highlander.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
They also knew nothing about each other, didn't know if they shared the same interests, and certainly didn't know about the others' ability to fully commit to a long-term relationship. That's not love, that's obsession; or rather, lust, which I believe is one of the Seven Deadly Sins?

I think that I've gone off topic and I ask for forgiveness. By the way I think that love at first sight is something sacred and approved by God. When I fall in love with a person, I think of their beauty (face), certainly not of their body. And I certainly don't care about their intelligence, which is irrelevant.

I just wanted to know what Hindus think about the aesthetic sense , and what role beauty plays in their religion.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that I've gone off topic and I ask for forgiveness. By the way I think that love at first sight is something sacred and approved by God. When I fall in love with a person, I think of their beauty (face), certainly not of their body. And I certainly don't care about their intelligence, which is irrelevant.

I just wanted to know what Hindus think about the aesthetic sense , and what role beauty plays in their religion.

You said that intelligence is irrelevant. What about personality?

I'm not sure if beauty plays a role in Hinduism. The most I can say is that God is supposedly the most beautiful and attractive of all beings.
I think that love at first sight is possible but for it to be real love rather than infatuation it would be more of a spiritual/soul-mate/karmic type connection.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
well, no wonder, after seeing those carvings in that temple.

Lol, I assume you are referring to carvings you found ugly. I'm not sure which you are talking about but I've certainly seen some that I think are ugly including actual statues. But then there are also some really beautiful art works as well. It doesn't matter though, if the art depicts God as beautiful or not. Whats more important is the love in our heart. A statue of God can look physically nice or ugly but that doesn't change our love for God.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Lol, I assume you are referring to carvings you found ugly. I'm not sure which you are talking about but I've certainly seen some that I think are ugly including actual statues. But then there are also some really beautiful art works as well. It doesn't matter though, if the art depicts God as beautiful or not. Whats more important is the love in our heart. A statue of God can look physically nice or ugly but that doesn't change our love for God.

No, I was talking about the Kama Sutra scenes carved in Khajurhao temple

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
No, I was talking about the Kama Sutra scenes carved in Khajurhao temple

Oh...I mean the Kama Sutra is part of Indian culture and associated with Hinduism but it isn't really a part of the religious/philosophical side. I thought your question about beauty was linked to our religion.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Oh...I mean the Kama Sutra is part of Indian culture and associated with Hinduism but it isn't really a part of the religious/philosophical side. I thought your question about beauty was linked to our religion.

All right, but I don't understand why those carvings are located in a Hindu temple.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
This might help:

Even erotic carvings on Hindu temples confirm that ancient India was a liberated place. Moreover, Hindu gods are considered incomplete without their female part. In fact, some gods are depicted as half male and half female. A short history of Indian misogyny | National Post

This leads me to believe that sexuality was indeed tied to spiritualism and religion.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
All aspects of life are celebrated. Kama is one of the legitimate goals of life. Making it THE goal would be unacceptable or adharmic. I really have never gotten the fuss, and more than the fuss over nudity in Tahiti. Apparently some people have problems with it though.

But it reminds me of kumbhmela, and smoking ganja. There are 1000 sadhus. One of them lights a pipe, and suddenly he's swarmed by 20 western reporters, and the other 999 go on their way. Some people prefer sensationalism. Wile Tirupati and Palani draw enormous crowds daily, with hardly any tourists, Khajuharo gets the tourists.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that depicting graphic sexual scenes was allowed due to India or areas in India being sexually liberal at a particular time in history but it's good to keep in mind that the scriptures do not encourage lust or sex outside of marriage.
So love and sex are important, but I think that people need to keep in mind that Hinduism does have strong moral principles.