• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about this?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
You will have to do better than just making blank statements.
I made no blank statement.
I pointed out the fact that you did not answer the question you quoted.
Then stated that doing so is not a good look.

You make yourself look even worse drawing more attention to the fact that you did not answer the question in the post you quoted.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I made no blank statement.

Didn’t say you did
I pointed out the fact that you did not answer the question you quoted.

What question
Then stated that doing so is not a good look.

Maybe you mistook what I was trying to say
You make yourself look even worse drawing more attention to the fact that you did not answer the question in the post you quoted.

What you think I look like really doesn’t matter to me. Those types of statements make you look pretty bad.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
You could easily put any wealthy capitalist living in luxury in place of the Christian family part of the meme, and we would have a good critique of what's wrong with society, and western values on the whole. It's not just Christianity!

An ounce of charity in a social system just might solve hunger. From there a productive self education is worthy to give.

The highest standard of morality is what did we all do to help others become sufficient, and contributory to life on Earth. Instead western society forces people to look out for themselves and outdo their fellow humans leaving many in a state of ignorance and desparation.

It's more cost worthy to help than destroy. Without benevolence through and through humanity is just tearing up the Earth resources chasing profits and waiting for Christian Armageddon, on one side, and pursuing power and luxury on the other side.

Society has gotten so selfish, and complex we've become far removed from the environment and those people we don't care to know exist.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Society has gotten so selfish, and complex we've become far removed from the environment and those people we don't care to know exist.
As said in Ecclesiastes-there is nothing new under the sun.

John 12
4But one of His disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was going to betray Him, asked, 5“Why wasn’t this perfume sold for three hundred denarii and the money given to the poor?” 6Judas did not say this because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief. As keeper of the money bag, he used to take from what was put into it. (Only the Gospel of John mentions Judas and thievery in this passage)
7“Leave her alone,” Jesus replied. “She has kept this perfume in preparation for the day of My burial. 8The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have Me.”

And in the news just yesterday:
Screenshot_20240419_172420_Chrome.jpg

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Please, of course you are, the meme indicates that it's cheap to have a thankful prayer for their overabundance when there is so much suffering in the world.
It is not "cheap" to express gratitude and thankfulness when there is suffering in the world.

It is, however, "cheap" to take infantile pot shots at those expressing such gratitude and thankfulness. I would use the word "pathetic" more than "cheap," but "cheap" works too, I suppose. I don't really expect any less than such nonsense from memes, though, to be fair.

We Never Know

No Slack
It is not "cheap" to express gratitude and thankfulness when there is suffering in the world.

It is, however, "cheap" to take infantile pot shots at those expressing such gratitude and thankfulness. I would use the word "pathetic" more than "cheap," but "cheap" works too, I suppose. I don't really expect any less than such nonsense from memes, though, to be fair.
Its sad but some memes are only meant to trigger reactions.

The saddest part is how some people let a meme trigger them, looking for who to blame or attack without really thinking about it

Social media at its best(worst).

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Its sad but some memes are only meant to trigger reactions.

The saddest part is how some people let a meme trigger them, looking for who to blame or attack without really thinking about it

Social media at its best(worst).
That's one way to look at it, I suppose.

I had the misfortune of knowing a sociopath once; his thing was that it was always everybody else's fault if they were hurt by his actions. As such, I'm not one for shifting responsibility from the speaker to the listener. It is not sad that humans "let" blatantly offensive and tactless things trigger them. It is sad that humans say these things in the first place, especially when they then shift the blame onto the ears of their victims.

We Never Know

No Slack
That's one way to look at it, I suppose.

I had the misfortune of knowing a sociopath once; his thing was that it was always everybody else's fault if they were hurt by his actions. As such, I'm not one for shifting responsibility from the speaker to the listener. It is not sad that humans "let" blatantly offensive and tactless things trigger them. It is sad that humans say these things in the first place, especially when they then shift the blame onto the ears of their victims.
Funny you mention a sociopath.
There seems to be one on most every thread that gets triggered by a god, prayer, evolution, religion, Trump, Biden, dems, repubs, politics, war, etc etc.
Sometimes the same one appears on several threads over multiple topics.

Social media at its best(worst)

Don't get me wrong. I like this site but like many it attracts its share of people who seem to like to stir crap, demean and degrade others, just want to argue, try to trigger others, etc etc.

I suppose part of it is having no accountability, a sad life, a boring life, just an *******, not caring, mad at the world, etc etc

Last edited:

Madsaac

16 Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully. 17 And he thought within himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?’ 18 So he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods.19 And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry.” ’ 20 But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?’

21 “So is he who lays up treasure for himself,and is not rich toward God.”

I think this parable gives a great perspective…

God did His part when He blessed our capacity for surely we have enough harvest to feed everyone who is in need on the face of this earth And still have plenty for himself

But man, in his covetousness, doesn’t want to share the blessing and be rich towards God by being generous towards man.

So the fault is on man’s side and not God’s.

Yes I agree, it is man's fault and may we all rot in hell...............well the ones that believe in it anyway.

Madsaac

That's kinda what I was thinking.
Don't be thankful you can walk because some can't walk.
Don't be thankful you woke up this morning because some didn't wake up.
Don't be thankful etc etc.

Yeah I have noticed a lot of people do have this attitude that 'Its all about lucky me'. I'm not saying this is wrong, be thankful

But really, is this what you took form this meme?

Madsaac

I suppose one could take "being thankful" to extremes, like being thankful for every sip of water and every breath of air. But then if there was no water or air, then there would be no life - and no one to be thankful.

I've been told many times that I should be thankful that I was born in the USA. Maybe we should thank Uncle Sam, I don't know.

When you see this meme, do you think the main message is about thinks?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
When you see this meme, do you think the main message is about thinks?

If you're referring to the OP meme, I don't think it's specifically about thanks, although perhaps it's a commentary on our culture.

We Never Know

No Slack
Yeah I have noticed a lot of people do have this attitude that 'Its all about lucky me'. I'm not saying this is wrong, be thankful

But really, is this what you took form this meme?
Nope. Its what I got from your post..

When I saw this I felt that.....

It shows the inequality of the world, which Christians are well aware of and clearly have not done enough to solve the problem.

This meme is represents the western Christian, someone who MAY help the less fortunate but probably doesn't because there wouldn't be so such suffering in the world.

So the process of thanking your god for your amazing dinner is demeaning, shameful and wretched, to those in so much pain and suffering.

Finally, who's to blame, god or his followers?

Spice

Anther one, when you saw this meme, you thought it was about giving thanks.

Really, nothing else?
Not at all. The "saying" I used was more related to the bottom photo. I could have been born into those circumstances just as easily as anyone.

Madsaac

I look at what's going on in Sudan for example. There is enormous wealth in various parts of Christianity so they could be doing so much more.

However, the large majority of Christians seem to be not doing enough and deal with their guilt by saying, 'Well I'm one of the lucky ones, at least I'll be thankful for what I've got'

I don't think most Christians understand the responsibility they have. To believe in god and all the trimmings, that go with it (For eg. Eternal life in heaven, that's pretty awesome), means you could be doing a lot more. Otherwise, your belief is not as special as you think.

As Clubber Lang said, "Talk is cheap and I ain't buying any"

Spice

I look at what's going on in Sudan for example. There is enormous wealth in various parts of Christianity so they could be doing so much more.

However, the large majority of Christians seem to be not doing enough and deal with their guilt by saying, 'Well I'm one of the lucky ones, at least I'll be thankful for what I've got'

I don't think most Christians understand the responsibility they have. To believe in god and all the trimmings, that go with it (For eg. Eternal life in heaven, that's pretty awesome), means you could be doing a lot more. Otherwise, your belief is not as special as you think.

As Clubber Lang said, "Talk is cheap and I ain't buying any"
If you're being nice, or helping another for recognition or reward, you're not nice.

If the only prayer that ever crosses your lips is "thank you", that's enough.

You can't help everyone, but you can help someone. Start there.

idea

Question Everything
It the object to which gratitude is given.

If a doctor saved someone, and instead of thanking the doctor and researchers and nurses - thanks is given to God, that is dishonest.

It is good to give thanks to the correct source.