• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you want to know about LDS beliefs?

nutshell

i believe in tranquility said:
But can they be preists?
No. The priesthood is a responsibility God has reserved for men.

Please be specific about why this concerns you and perhaps I can provide a better answer.

nutshell

Why only men? WHy are women not worthy for God glory of teachings his word.
It has NOTHING to do with worthiness. Women stand at the pulpit and speak to the congregation EVERY WEEK.

Why do only men have the priesthood? Because God set it up that way.

Perhaps we are misunderstanding each other's definitions of a priest and a teacher.

Why do only men have the priesthood? Because God set it up that way.
Well im going to have to disagree. Men only have preisthood in Mormon churchs, because we live in a patriarcical country, which has been combined with monotheistic religions. If mother-right had never been over thrown, then both men and women would be able to be preists in your churchs (well to think about it, if patriarchy never got established, then there probably would not even be any mormon churchs)....but I am speaking in an "if" state.

Aqualung

Tasty
Well, you can disagree with him, but you're disagreeing with god and the entire bible, and you have yet to show why it is unfair to only give men the priesthood.

i think it is unfair, becaue i feel that women should be able to be priests..you might think I am disagreeing God and the entire bible...but im going to have to disagree with that aswell.

I think Jesus would agree with me wanting equal rights for women (and you probably think differently).

SoyLeche

meh...
i think it is unfair, becaue i feel that women should be able to be priests..you might think I am disagreeing God and the entire bible...but im going to have to disagree with that aswell.

I think Jesus would agree with me wanting equal rights for women (and you probably think differently).
Could you please say what exactly you think that women are not able to do? Obviously we have different ideas about what it means to be a 'priest'.

Bishka

Veteran Member

Sweetie, women do have equal rights in Jesus's eyes and in our Church. I could care less about holding the preisthood as many women in the Church because we don't want that weight and respnsibility.

We are responsibile for many other things, the Relief Society, which includes ALL the women in the ward, they are visit taught(women come to their house each month and teach them the gospel and visit with them), they have acitivites, even 1 hour of Church is dedicated to the women(alone without the preisthood holders), women help in Primary/Sunday School(Children Younger then 18), they hold various callings, some of which are(and these are for women specifically, no man could hold these callings): Relief Society President and her concilors, Young Women's President and her coucilors, and more often then not, Primary President and he councilors.

Now, those are huge callings in the wards and they have a great deal of stewardship over the peole they serve and preside over. Now, the women aren't equal in our church, just because they don't hold the preisthood? Baloney buddy. If you've ever been in our church and see how it runs, you'll see that more often then not, women have a great deal more responsibility in the wards then men do.

Men hold the preisthood, it's been like that since Adam. Nothing has changed and I particulary don't want it too.

SoyLeche

meh...
beckysoup61 said:
Sweetie, women do have equal rights in Jesus's eyes and in our Church. I could care less about holding the preisthood as many women in the Church because we don't want that weight and respnsibility.

We are responsibile for many other things, the Relief Society, which includes ALL the women in the ward, they are visit taught(women come to their house each month and teach them the gospel and visit with them), they have acitivites, even 1 hour of Church is dedicated to the women(alone without the preisthood holders), women help in Primary/Sunday School(Children Younger then 18), they hold various callings, some of which are(and these are for women specifically, no man could hold these callings): Relief Society President and her concilors, Young Women's President and her coucilors, and more often then not, Primary President and he councilors.

Now, those are huge callings in the wards and they have a great deal of stewardship over the peole they serve and preside over. Now, the women aren't equal in our church, just because they don't hold the preisthood? Baloney buddy. If you've ever been in our church and see how it runs, you'll see that more often then not, women have a great deal more responsibility in the wards then men do.

Men hold the preisthood, it's been like that since Adam. Nothing has changed and I particulary don't want it too.
Just for those who are curious - in my current position in the church, I "report" to a presidency that consits entirely of women. Someone who is a Bishop today very well may be in the same position that I am next week. There is no sexism in the church.

Aqualung

Tasty
jewscout said:
i'm interested to find out how LDS view Jews and Judaism.
The Jews are god's chosen people. I don't know much on this subject, but part of our patriarchal blessing (that members get at some point in their lives) tells the member their lineage, which tribe they belong to. Patriarchal blessings are very important, so it's very telling that that would be included in them. And that's all I know about that. :D

SoyLeche

meh...
Aqualung said:
The Jews are god's chosen people. I don't know much on this subject, but part of our patriarchal blessing (that members get at some point in their lives) tells the member their lineage, which tribe they belong to. Patriarchal blessings are very important, so it's very telling that that would be included in them. And that's all I know about that. :D
While what you say is true, "God's chosen people" extends beyond the Jews, at least in my opinion. Specifically, I'm talking about anyone that has the blood of Israel in them, and that is probably just about everyone in the world at this point to some extent or other. If you want to take it even further, it is any descendant of Abraham.

Edited to add:
My uncle was just called to be the Patriarch of his Stake. Kinda weird to think of the great responsibility that has now been placed on his shoulders. I can't think of a better person for it though.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
SoyLeche said:
Just for those who are curious - in my current position in the church, I "report" to a presidency that consits entirely of women. Someone who is a Bishop today very well may be in the same position that I am next week. There is no sexism in the church.
I think that the problem in your questioners thoughts, is that they think that your church is run along similar lines to their own.

This makes your answers somewhat puzzling to them.
Protestant and Catholic Churches are overseen by full time priests who have great authority in questions of faith, and very often in mundane matters as well.

Your Priest hood is virtually all the suitable males in the church, whose duties are mainly part time.
Every one is involved in the running and work of the church, teaching is not left to chance but is continuous, and like every thing else, is largely family oriented.

This is totally different to how our own churches operate. Though some are ,these days, putting more of the load on the more active members of the church.

I hope you don't mind me butting in like this.

Terry____________________
Blessed are the merciful, mercy shall be shown unto them.

SoyLeche

meh...
Terrywoodenpic said:
I think that the problem in your questioners thoughts, is that they think that your church is run along similar lines to their own.

This makes your answers somewhat puzzling to them.
Protestant and Catholic Churches are overseen by full time priests who have great authority in questions of faith, and very often in mundane matters as well.

Your Priest hood is virtually all the suitable males in the church, whose duties are mainly part time.
Every one is involved in the running and work of the church, teaching is not left to chance but is continuous, and like every thing else, is largely family oriented.

This is totally different to how our own churches operate. Though some are ,these days, putting more of the load on the more active members of the church.

I hope you don't mind me butting in like this.

Terry____________________
Blessed are the merciful, mercy shall be shown unto them.
Thanks for butting in. I figured as much, which is why I keep asking (in this thread and in the other recent thread covering this topic) what it is exactly that people think women should be able to do that they can't. I think people would find that there is very little in the LDS church that women can't do.

nutshell

SoyLeche said:
While what you say is true, "God's chosen people" extends beyond the Jews, at least in my opinion. Specifically, I'm talking about anyone that has the blood of Israel in them, and that is probably just about everyone in the world at this point to some extent or other. If you want to take it even further, it is any descendant of Abraham.

Edited to add:
My uncle was just called to be the Patriarch of his Stake. Kinda weird to think of the great responsibility that has now been placed on his shoulders. I can't think of a better person for it though.
Wow. For a minute there I thought we might be in the same stake because we just got a new patriarch...but I see you're in Virginia - a place I've never been.

SoyLeche

meh...
nutshell said:
Wow. For a minute there I thought we might be in the same stake because we just got a new patriarch...but I see you're in Virginia - a place I've never been.
My uncle is in the Colesville, UT Stake. He used to be the Stake President.