• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does Bible say about Alcohol?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Yes, you did. You said so right here:

That was quoted from Eerdman's dictionary of the Bible.

It says the Bible condemns excessive consumption resulting in drunkenness not the drinking of wine.

Drunkenness is condemned summarily not wine itself or the drinking of it.

'Excess consumption of wine leading to drunkenness is condemned summarily in the Bible.' Eerdman's Dictionary of the Bible - Wine

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That was quoted from Eerdman's dictionary of the Bible.
You didn't identify it as a quote.

It says the Bible condemns drunkenness not the drinking of wine.
And I'm talking about drunkenness: drinking until you forget you're poor.

Drunkenness is condemned summarily not wine itself or the drinking of it.
It's condemned in some sections of the Bible while being endorsed in others.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
You didn't identify it as a quote.

And I'm talking about drunkenness: drinking until you forget you're poor.

It's condemned in some sections of the Bible while being endorsed in others.

I apologize for forgetting to include the reference.

Yes that is correct but the reasons for giving strong drink are to alleviate some malady not for pleasure. Drunkenness for pleasure appears to be condemned.

But they are mostly from the Old Testament. I'm not sure if there is anything about drinking in the Gospels. I must look it up when I am free.

Galatians 5:21

Envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God

Ephesians 5:18 ESV

And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit,

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I apologize for forgetting to include the reference.

Yes that is correct but the reasons for giving strong drink are to alleviate some malady not for pleasure. Drunkenness for pleasure appears to be condemned.
The passage from Proverbs that I quoted talked about drinking to forget your misery; that sure sounds like drunkenness for pleasure to me.

But they are mostly from the Old Testament.
Are you saying that the Old Testament isn't part of the Bible?

I'm not sure if there is anything about drinking in the Gospels. I must look it up when I am free.
The passage in John that describes the wedding at Cana suggests that the guests were already drunk when Jesus turned the water into wine. John 2:9-10:

9 When the head steward tasted the water that had been turned to wine, not knowing where it came from (though the servants who had drawn the water knew), he called the bridegroom 10 and said to him, “Everyone serves the good wine first, and then the cheaper wine when the guests are drunk. You have kept the good wine until now!”
It also implies that drunkenness at weddings was common, but the passage doesn't condemn this.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
The passage from Proverbs that I quoted talked about drinking to forget your misery; that sure sounds like drunkenness for pleasure to me.

Are you saying that the Old Testament isn't part of the Bible?

The passage in John that describes the wedding at Cana suggests that the guests were already drunk when Jesus turned the water into wine. John 2:9-10:

It also implies that drunkenness at weddings was common, but the passage doesn't condemn this.

No the Bible is one Book just two different Revelations so I was interested is seeing how much was in each about drunkenness.

From my reading I don't believe it's promoted as a pleasure but it's not forbidden.