• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does God have that you don't?

tomspug

Absorbant
One of the reasons we pursue 'God' is because he provides us with something you don't have. For those that prescribe to a belief in God, what is it that he provides for you personally? For those that don't, what does it appear to you that people try to get from God?

And before you answer that first question, consider this one. Is religion mainly about getting from "God" what we want?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
One of the reasons we pursue 'God' is because he provides us with something you don't have. For those that prescribe to a belief in God, what is it that he provides for you personally?
Beyond existence itself, I assume.

An unsolvable puzzle, and the compulsion to solve it. The driving passion of my life.

And before you answer that first question, consider this one. Is religion mainly about getting from "God" what we want?
Not for me. I know I'll never have the real answers, and that's part of what I love about it.

John_672

Omnitheist
One of the reasons we pursue 'God' is because he provides us with something you don't have. For those that prescribe to a belief in God, what is it that he provides for you personally? For those that don't, what does it appear to you that people try to get from God?

God provides nothing that we cannot provide ourselves, otherwise we would not have free will. We can get companionship from each other... Yet, the companionship which the Divine provides can be the most powerful one can have in their life. We can get guidance from each other... Yet, the guidance of the Divine is usually more instructive and true. We can get love from one another... Yet, divine love knows no conditions.

Religion isn't about getting from God what we want, or giving to God what she wants; it's about being like traders... Sharing.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I guess people seek god for assurance, security and comfort. It gives them an answer and reason for the unknown and unanswerable.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
One of the reasons we pursue 'God' is because he provides us with something you don't have. For those that prescribe to a belief in God, what is it that he provides for you personally?
An image of creation apart from what I create.

For those that don't, what does it appear to you that people try to get from God?
An image of creation.

Um... which was the "first" question again?
Religion is not about getting anything from 'God', but about putting outselves into relationship with the divine.

D'uh.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Beyond existence itself, I assume.

An unsolvable puzzle, and the compulsion to solve it. The driving passion of my life.

Not for me. I know I'll never have the real answers, and that's part of what I love about it.
Wouldn't that seem to suggest a solutuion?

(Edit: there is a solution.)

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

It seems to me that people are looking for a sense of comfort, and sometimes superiority among other things, from a belief in God. The feeling that they know what life is about, and they have an explanation for everything.

Yes, I believe it is.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter

I think a lot of times, yes.

For those that don't, what does it appear to you that people try to get from God?

People want to get into heaven, so they do what they think god wants them to do... And, people pray to god all the time, because they want stuff...

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
If only I were one of those ... life would be so much easier.

I'm with you there. I was just watching a stand-up routine by Ralphie May, if you've heard of him. He was talking about mentally challenged people, although, of course, that wasn't the name he used for them. In his opinion our best result of evolution would be to all become mentally challenged, and then we'd all be happy.

Mind you, I'm not saying Christians are mentally challenged, or anything, but those who believe blindly, meaning they won't even entertain another possibility even to disprove it and strengthen their own beliefs, have something in common with this group of people. As they say "Ignorance is bliss".

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It seems to me that people are looking for a sense of comfort, and sometimes superiority among other things, from a belief in God. The feeling that they know what life is about, and they have an explanation for everything.
You know, I could say exactly the same thing about people who don't believe in God -- that they feel superior to those of us who do, that they smugly insist that they don't need God for anything, and that those of us who not only believe in Him and love Him, but actually need Him are to be pitied for our naivety and lack of common sense. I'll admit that there are some religious people who do have the attitude you have described, but there are many who believe in God for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with the need to feel superior to those of you don't. We believe because we can't not believe.