• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does God have that you don't?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
So, you don't have nothing?

*flips open english grammar textbook...*

:D
Well, the way I see it, we can imagine the nothing by making it something, or imagine the nothing by understanding that it does not differ from the something. Either way, there is the something. Something cheats.

tomspug

Absorbant
Well, the first question was written for those that believe in God. That's why it says "for those who believe in God..."

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
And before you answer that first question, consider this one. Is religion mainly about getting from "God" what we want?

I think religion is mainly about expressing numinosity and symbolism, oftentimes collectively. I doubt there's reason why asking cannot be a manifestation of this, but I also doubt it's the only one.

I'd suspect that sometimes the being being asked is not the one the person calls and sees as "God", however... "God" is a strange chemical to answer for. :)

As to the OP; I honestly think "God" can be found in the before-of-asking, so perhaps "She" gives not-yet-something.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
If double and triple negatives were good enough for Chaucer, they're good enough for me. :)

I ain't never had no problem ignoring the grammarians.

Well, I actually am a stickler for grammar, normally. I have to hold myself back sometimes from correcting people, so as not to be a jerk. However, you are correct that there are times when these things are OK. Actually, not even grammarians couldn't never argue with Willamena's original sentence, considering she was using nothing as a positive, not a negative. I couldn't help making the joke, though. :eek: :)

lockyfan

A belief and love of Jehovah God, provides me with a chance to prove myself to Him by fulfilling his word and trying to live by his will. In the end of all this problem with the world, when God finally acts my belief and love for him and my having actually lived my faith practically, gives me a hope of living through the end of this system of things and into the paradise on earth.

gnostic

The Lost One
john_672 said:
We can get love from one another... Yet, divine love knows no conditions.
If God loves only the people who believe in him or worship him, than that's not unconditional love.

If you have the threat of hell and eternal torment hanging over his head, then that's fear and intimidation, not unconditional love.

lockyfan

God does ot hold a threat of eternal hell over your head. What he does give you is a chance to live again in a paradise on earth, once this system of things has passed away and h creates the better world.

god loves all humans, thus the reason why we have a hope of a resurrection, if we died before aramgeddon and if we live through armageddon a chance to live happily in an eternal paradise.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
God does ot hold a threat of eternal hell over your head. What he does give you is a chance to live again in a paradise on earth, once this system of things has passed away and h creates the better world.

god loves all humans, thus the reason why we have a hope of a resurrection, if we died before aramgeddon and if we live through armageddon a chance to live happily in an eternal paradise.
Does eternal hell exist, in your view?

lockyfan

no there is no hell, what there is is two different kinds of death.

Death number one is the one you get resurrected, during the resurrection of Judgement day, Death number two is death which you go into non-existance and never get resurrected, this goes for all those who are the worst of the sinners, People like Adam and eve, who had already given up perfect life, they wont return. There is no eternal hell, the lake of fire is death, but no torture, you cease to exist.
Which I know sounds horrible, but it is better than burning in eternal torture forever.

Plus at the resurrection, both the righteous and unrighteous will be resurrected. to give them all a chance to know who Jehovah God is and a chance for perfect life.

gnomon

One of the reasons we pursue 'God' is because he provides us with something you don't have. For those that prescribe to a belief in God, what is it that he provides for you personally? For those that don't, what does it appear to you that people try to get from God?

And before you answer that first question, consider this one. Is religion mainly about getting from "God" what we want?

I believe the human brain has evolved towards the propensity of belief. There are some recent studies suggesting that on average we apply some notion of truth to every proposition we hear as a means to even understand the proposition.

That doesn't explain what people expect to get from God. It depends upon the definition of God as well. For the traditional meaning of God, a personified creator, there are a variety of reasons. I think those reasons have changed, or at least changed in which reasons dominate, over time. It's quite feasible that the existence and nature of the gods were not one of what people wanted. They just accepted that they were.

I have seen nothing in anything I've read to suggest that the majority of people believe in a God in order to get something. I apply this phenomenon to the modern spiritual movements within and outside traditional spiritual beliefs.