• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does "religion" do for you?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
What does religion do for you, most people don't follow the teacings, so what does labeling yourself with a religion do for you? Some people combine their ethnicity with their religion, so they can sort of combine the two for whatever purpose, but what about people who just belong to a religion? Does it make you feel special? Is it basically a social club? Do you just do it because that's how you were raised?

Particular religions do nothing for me -

I believe in Spirituality, not religion.

However, the study of the philosophies behind/within religions has taugh me a lot.

ArcNinja

Yeah, that's what I said. :facepalm:

EDIT: I just realized that you took my fundamentalist comment wrong, so its not likely that you will read the sarcasm in THIS post either. So, in case I'm right about that. The above is intended sarcastically. Carry on.

Sorry if it's a little difficult to read sarcasm on an internet forum. :sarcastic

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What does religion do for you, most people don't follow the teacings, so what does labeling yourself with a religion do for you? Some people combine their ethnicity with their religion, so they can sort of combine the two for whatever purpose, but what about people who just belong to a religion? Does it make you feel special? Is it basically a social club? Do you just do it because that's how you were raised?

As a non-theist, religions are valuable to me mostly for what they reveal about human nature.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I don't belong to a religion, but I live in a region which had tremendous creation and diffusion of religious thought. I'm very interested in Near Eastern and Mediterranean historical and even prehistoric religions, and also follow carefully on the still charged religious environment of the region.
I read and study the historical and ancient religious texts of the region as I synthesize them for a better understanding of what triggers groups of people.
I may not be a religious person, but on some aspects I think in a religious way if only to get 'in character' and understand the psychology behind certain realities.
So what does religion do to me?
As an archaeologist, I find religion to be an amazing source of knowledge about the development of historical civilizations, about their ideals, social structure and passions.

ArcNinja

I don't belong to a religion, but I live in a region which had tremendous creation and diffusion of religious thought. I'm very interested in Near Eastern and Mediterranean historical and even prehistoric religions, and also follow carefully on the still charged religious environment of the region.
I read and study the historical and ancient religious texts of the region as I synthesize them for a better understanding of what triggers groups of people.
I may not be a religious person, but on some aspects I think in a religious way if only to get 'in character' and understand the psychology behind certain realities.
So what does religion do to me?
As an archaeologist, I find religion to be an amazing source of knowledge about the development of historical civilizations, about their ideals, social structure and passions.

Religion can be interesting. I'll give it that. The Greek and Egyptian mythologies have always intrigued me. It would be so amazing to be an archaeologist!

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
As a non-theist, religions are valuable to me mostly for what they reveal about human nature.

I think human nature reflects God - so despite ourselves we're on the same page. Yet more indication that the theist/non-theist distinction isn't particularly useful :)

4consideration

Premium Member

What do they reveal to you about human nature?

Do you see people that follow religions to be extremely different from yourself, other than on than beliefs held on that particular subject -- or do you see some of the same tendencies, or perspectives, within yourself?

Religions do nothing for their adherents. They may sometimes give them a good FEELING and just hope. Only hope for a better life. Nothing concrete. All religions are looking for god/gods who could help them in their needs and troubles.

Being a born-again Christian is NOT having a religion, It is having a Father-son/daughter relationship with the Creator God of the universe.

When Jesus taught His followers to pray He told them to call Almighty God,.. "Our Father Who is in heaven...."

Anybody of course can call God Father. That doesn't make the one who prays a son or daughter of God. What really matters is will Almighty God call the person who prays to Him son or daughter?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The way I see it, at its worst religion is about developing an incestuous and condescending clique mentality of being the Chosen of God.

At its best, though, religion teaches fraternal values based on the acceptance o feixe interconnectedness and social flow of messages.