• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does your Abrahamic religion give you?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Wow. You're the first person I've ever met who showed me his hand!
Anyways, you'd be wrong in that even if they were considered immoral by today's standards, I would still consider them ok. That doesn't mean that I would go about doing it. Just that I wouldn't be ideologically against it. There is precedent. Polygamy is acceptable by Jewish Law, but a ban was placed on its practice a thousand years ago because it became morally unacceptable by secular standards. So ideologically speaking, we have no problem with it. But practically speaking, we don't practice it.

Interesting. As far as polygamy goes, apart from concerns of coercion, I've never heard any strong moral argument against polygamy.

How about an example more clearly immoral by today's standards? Does your scripture advocate for slavery, or consider women to be inferior, or is it homophobic?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Some context for this thread:

- I'm not neutral on religion, I'm against it.
- I know that there are many folks on this forum who have a very liberal or broad definition of religion. I'm primarily (but not exclusively), interested in hearing from folks who mostly believe in their scripture and their clergy.

So the question is, what does your religion provide for you? Morality? Ethics? Culture? Community? Comfort?...
My faith isn't a part of my life, my faith is my life.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Interesting. As far as polygamy goes, apart from concerns of coercion, I've never heard any strong moral argument against polygamy.

How about an example more clearly immoral by today's standards? Does your scripture advocate for slavery, or consider women to be inferior, or is it homophobic?
It does not advocate slavery, but it does regulate it.
It doesn't consider women to be inferior.
It is not homophobic, but it does prohibit such acts.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Well it doesn't and I'm not doing any algebra.
I'm not really sure what you're looking for. My religion provides me a framework with which to do everything that I do. Which side to lay on when I go to sleep. Which article of clothing to put on first when I wake up. How to associate with the various people I interact with. What to eat. How to eat. How to do business. Whatever there is to do, there is a way to do it within the confines of my religion. There is also ethics, culture, sadness, comfort, satisfaction, goals, happiness, joy. Its all there for me.
How does it determine which side you sleep on and what piece of clothing you put on first?

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Based on Talmudic and Kabbalistic literature.
Which side must you sleep on and which article of clothing must you put on first?

How does it determine how you type? Does it affect your favorite color? Do you use a gas or electric oven and is that from the religious perspective? What about automatic vs Manuel car?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
My religion gives me the wisdom to see atheism for what it truly is, a bankrupt philosophy..........

icehorse

Premium Member
It does not advocate slavery, but it does regulate it.
It doesn't consider women to be inferior.
It is not homophobic, but it does prohibit such acts.

Okay, for the sake of discussion, your scripture regulates slavery, can you say more? And second, if there was a country in which slavery was legal, would you consider it moral?

Tumah

Veteran Member
Which side must you sleep on
Left.
and which article of clothing must you put on first?
Top to bottom, Right to left.
How does it determine how you type?
I add a dash to every G-d.
Does it affect your favorite color?
Yes.
Do you use a gas or electric oven and is that from the religious perspective?
I use electric, but gas is probably slightly better from the religious perspective, what with the Israel electric company running on the Sabbath.
What about automatic vs Manuel car?
Automatic is probably safer since it allows for both hands on the wheel at all times. Which could be a fulfillment of the injunction to protect one's life.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I add a dash to every G-d.
That doesn't actually determine how you type but rather creates a specific thing you do within the context but I think my questions have been sufficiently answered. I don't think this is what the OP meant by his question but I am no the OP.
I don't know if it does or not. Perhaps it determines what you allow yourself to want to like.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Okay, for the sake of discussion, your scripture regulates slavery, can you say more?
I'm not really sure what else there is to say. There are laws regarding how one must treat his slave.
And second, if there was a country in which slavery was legal, would you consider it moral?
I think morals are a human construct, both fluid and subjective and not relevant. In a country where slavery is legal, there is no problem of owning a slave provided one follows the Laws regarding it. Outside of those countries, slavery laws have the added benefit of creating a means for an illegitimate child (who may otherwise not marry a free person) to get married.

Tumah

Veteran Member
That doesn't actually determine how you type but rather creates a specific thing you do within the context but I think my questions have been sufficiently answered. I don't think this is what the OP meant by his question but I am no the OP.

I don't know if it does or not. Perhaps it determines what you allow yourself to want to like.
However you like to look at it.

icehorse

Premium Member
I'm not really sure what else there is to say. There are laws regarding how one must treat his slave.

I think morals are a human construct, both fluid and subjective and not relevant. In a country where slavery is legal, there is no problem of owning a slave provided one follows the Laws regarding it. Outside of those countries, slavery laws have the added benefit of creating a means for an illegitimate child (who may otherwise not marry a free person) to get married.

I appreciate your candor, and you can consider me to be completely gobsmacked by your answer.