• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happens when we die?

carlosox

There is a very comprehensive chapter dealing on this matter in the ' Autobiography of a Yogi ' by Paramahansa Yogananda. It's on chapter 43 - you will find all the answers you need there. If you have not already read the Autobiography, it can be obtained at Amazon. A paperback copy costs only a few dollars. ISBN 0-87612-079-6. It is a ' must read' book. Many who have read it claim that it has changed their lives( for the better)completely.
Regards

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
bobuk25 said:
Based on the Bible is there anyone who can show me that man has an immortal soul that goes to either Heaven or Hell when we die? Was Lazarus in Heaven before being resurrected? Did Moses & Abraham and other faithful men before who lived before Jesus Christ go to Heaven when they died?
The bible is clear on where eternal life is found and the conditions to enter into it.
Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him (God)which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Jhn 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
Mar 9:47And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
Ecc 3:11He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end.
We were created to live forever in the presence of God
Gen 2:17But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
Eternal torment
Rev 20:15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
Mat 25:41Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
Rev 14:10And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive [his] mark in his forehead, or in his hand,The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
bobuk25 said:
Based on the Bible is there anyone who can show me that man has an immortal soul that goes to either Heaven or Hell when we die? Was Lazarus in Heaven before being resurrected? Did Moses & Abraham and other faithful men before who lived before Jesus Christ go to Heaven when they died?

How about:

Isaiah 26:19
Thy dead [men] shall live, [together with] my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew [is as] the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead.

Daniel 12:2
2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame [and] everlasting contempt.

Matthew 19:16
16 ¶ And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

Matthew 25:46
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

John 3:15
15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

see also:

John 5:25
John 6:68
John 10:28
John 17:3
Romans 2:7
1 Corinthians 15:22
1 Corinthians 15:54

carlosox

Oh crikey! This place is filled with Bible thumping, hell and brimstone types. I'd better leave before they try and burn me at the stake. It's a pity that these types need sanction from the book for their every move. Is is any wonder that we have so much of religious hatred and wars these days? Sad, very sad.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
carlosox said:
Oh crikey! This place is filled with Bible thumping, hell and brimstone types. I'd better leave before they try and burn me at the stake. It's a pity that these types need sanction from the book for their every move. Is is any wonder that we have so much of religious hatred and wars these days? Sad, very sad.

uh. The OP asked for biblical proof (that is what "based on the bible" means). It isn't our fault you apparently missed that as you rambled on about yogi.

XAAX

wanderer085 said:
When you die, you're dead as a doornail.

Prove otherwise, besides quoting religious text.

Look at it not only from a spiritual sense, but a scientific approach as well and should have at least some degree of proof. Your soul(spirit, living energy, etc) while in your body gives it life. If you understand basic physics then you know that energy never ceases to exist, it merely changes form. So if the soul ceases to inhabit our body at the point of death it goes somewhere. This is where you have to find out for yourself because no amount of debating can prove or disprove whether that energy remains together or disperses.

Might I suggest some research on near death experiences. Preferably studies done that involve children. I have had 2 of them myself, one when I was to young to remember and the other which I remember vividly. After my experience I wasn’t sure if what I experienced was something physiological or if I had in fact remained an entity after leaving my body. After reading numerous books on the subject, I found that the same experience was constant with people who did live to tell about it. The reason I recommend the children’s studies is because they lack the religious influence that the adult studies had.

carlosox

My apologies comprehend. Anyway, my reply about the yogi was not completely out of place. I've read the Bible several times cover to cover, and the New Testament about twenty times or so. What is stated in the book I was referring to has material about what happens after death which will indeed be an eye opener to many. Take up my challenge and read it.
Regards

may

wanderer085 said:

i agree with you on that one ,and quoting the bible .............
For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all ecclesiastes 9;5
(Psalm 146:4) His spirit
Or, "His breath." Heb., ru·choh´; Gr., pneu´ma; Lat., spi´ri·tus
goes out, he goes back to his ground; In that day his thoughts do perish.............. but that does not mean there is no hope, even though we do just go to dust , Jehovah knows how to give us a new fleshly body, and he can remember all about us , it is no big deal for Jehovah to remember all about us . John 5;28-29 he even knows the names of all the stars , what a memory he must have. he knows the DNA of everyone.

may

carlosox said:
the bible does not teach litral hellfire , find out what the word hell really means . that will put a new light on the bible teaching altogeather.

logician

PREACH THE NETT said:
Look at it not only from a spiritual sense, but a scientific approach as well and should have at least some degree of proof. Your soul(spirit, living energy, etc) while in your body gives it life. If you understand basic physics then you know that energy never ceases to exist, it merely changes form. So if the soul ceases to inhabit our body at the point of death it goes somewhere. This is where you have to find out for yourself because no amount of debating can prove or disprove whether that energy remains together or disperses.

Might I suggest some research on near death experiences. Preferably studies done that involve children. I have had 2 of them myself, one when I was to young to remember and the other which I remember vividly. After my experience I wasn’t sure if what I experienced was something physiological or if I had in fact remained an entity after leaving my body. After reading numerous books on the subject, I found that the same experience was constant with people who did live to tell about it. The reason I recommend the children’s studies is because they lack the religious influence that the adult studies had.

I've had 2 or 3 near death experiences, didn't see no tunnel of light.

XAAX

wanderer085 said:

I’m sorry wanderer, i guess that means your going to hell... :eek: ..lol...Just kidding, I don't believe in heaven in hell in the common sense of the words. I actually did see to what I perceived as the whole tunnel and light theory to a degree. But not anything like I had previously thought it to be. Versus it being the whole going to heaven concept, which at the time I believed heavily in, but instead more along the lines of a cosmic gateway to the next evolution of self. Kind of like Astral Rebirth. After I realized I was dying and began to understand what was happening, my fear and panic became warmth and euphoria. Now there are physiological factors that can cause these feelings in the brain as well. This is where I have made my own decision based on the scientific as well as the spiritual. Had you asked me about such feelings prior to my experience I would have quoted the scientific reason for what the experience was. After being there, then studying numerous other cases of NDE’s, it is hard to not see a much bigger less tangible part of what happened.

For example: Documented case. A young boy drowned I believe while ice skating. I forget the exact age but somewhere between 5-7. The child was in freezing temperature water and died. His parents were unable to resuscitate him until they had reached the hospital. He was dead for 30-45 minutes(luckily without brain damage due to the temperature). Now the part of the story that becomes interesting is that one of the first things the child asked when he regained conscienceness was what had happened to the girl who was in this room. This baffled the nurses because on the way to the hospital a girl had been moved from the room to prepare for the boys arrival. What was even stranger was he even knew what she looked like. After questioning as to how he knew this. He told of a story that, while he was clinically dead, he was with them actually following them around and then traveling with them to the hospital. He saw the girl being removed from the room before his parents and his body even got there. He even described in very detailed account of things that could not have been know, had he not seen them.

Reading stories like this makes you think a little more into the spirit(soul, energy force as I refer to it), and what type of entity it is, even without the body. I’m not talking in the religious sense of the word. This is why I have recommended NDE’s with children to study. They usually don’t have all the religious dogma that adults who have NDE’s have. Those I believe are merely their mind imposing years of programming into what they experienced.

gnostic

The Lost One
wanderer085 said:
Perhaps, that your near-death experience wasn't "near" enough? :shrug:

Probably you didn't have your near-death experience in a tunnel? :confused:

Or perhaps, you didn't see no light because the doctor wasn't checking your pupils with his mini-flashlight? :cool:

Or perhaps, you had your eyes closed, the whole time? :cover: Well, no wonder why you didn't see any light. *grin*

(Sorry, I've ran out of my smilies quota, today, so I had to improvise.) *sad face*

XAAX

may said:
the bible does not teach litral hellfire , find out what the word hell really means . that will put a new light on the bible teaching altogeather.

Better Advice, Study all religions. Then once you have a good understanding of them(make sure you run them through your BS filter, there always alot in them), then you can figure the truth out without misleading books.

XAAX

gnostic said:
(Sorry, I've ran out of my smilies quota, today, so I had to improvise.) *sad face*

All valid points though..lol...im sticking to the hell theory..:eek:

Hacker

wanderer085 said:
wanderer085 said:
You can't prove that either, how do you know "who" you are, what if the spirit is ultimately who we are? There may or may not be a spirit but you say that as if it were a fact.(when you die your dead as a doornail.)

XAAX

Tlcmel said:
You can't prove that either, how do you know "who" you are, what if the spirit is ultimately who we are? There may or may not be a spirit but you say that as if it were a fact.(when you die your dead as a doornail.)

In fact, and this is only to support a point, it does make reference in Judaism that one of the worst things you can do is to deny the spirit. Now I do not follow anything because it is from a book. But there have been other enlightened individuals in history who have made valid claims. Just usually very poorly quoted. It is possible that this could be some time of negative practice to deny the existence in spirit. The only reason I can agree with this view point is because it does follow a logical train of thought. Since the Spirit(living energy source) that gives you life in this body is what makes the connection from the energy and material world. To deny it doesn’t sound like the best thing to do. Purely from a self preservation point if nothing else.

gnostic

The Lost One
tlcmel said:
There may or may not be a spirit but you say that as if it were a fact.(when you die your dead as a doornail.)
I would have prefer to use "dead as Kenny". :bonk::thud:

Kenny being dead in almost every episodes, but miraculous alive for the next one. :bounce

logician

Tlcmel said:

How can you posit thte existence of something you've never seen, and cannot possibly know? You're the one with no legs to stand on.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
WAYYYYYYYY TOOO DEEEP...... None of you have died so you don't know. If you did die and was able to communicate to us then I might accept your answer as to what what might happen to one when they die..

may

PREACH THE NETT said:
Better Advice, Study all religions. Then once you have a good understanding of them(make sure you run them through your BS filter, there always alot in them), then you can figure the truth out without misleading books.
very true, thats what i did and the filter got rid of all the rubbish not based on the bible , and now i have found the true christian faith.......refreshment indeed