• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Happens When You Die?

godnotgod

Thou art That
:eek: I never heard of this belief before! But since I believe that my creator is alive and that I make up part of my creator, than it is ever changing, and so if my deaths out come is to return to my origins, its probably not going to be the same, and there for alot has happened.:D

Like for instance in the travels and deaths of cosmic rays, it couples, changes or transforms, and than eventually it does cycle back to its origins, but its no longer the same from the cycle and diverse interchanges made.

I used the metaphor of a wave 'returning' to its origin which is the sea, but in the end, no wave continues to exist that has returned. It dissolves back into the formless sea.

In the same way, 'you', as you now exist, do not return to the Source in the same state in which you now exist; the 'return' is an awakening, in which the fictional persona you now think you actually are, the one that is always in the process of 'becoming', dissolves away, and you awaken to your true nature, which is that of the Absolute.

Instead of you as the doer, as the becomer, as the actor, think of the universe as doing you, just as the sea does the wave.

Now who are you?

godnotgod

Thou art That
"There cannot be any death because you are not. There is nobody to die...The self exists not, so death cannot take anything away from you. Life cannot give you anything and death cannot take anything away. There is no purpose in life and no purpose in death. There is nobody to die...there is nobody in life and there will be nobody in death; you are pure emptiness. Nothing has ever happened there.

The idea to survive forever is idiotic - what are you going to do if you survive forever? Are you not finished with your doing? Are you not yet frustrated enough with your doing? Have you not seen the foolishness and stupidity of your being? What does it bring you except misery? The more of an ego you are, the more miserable you are. Can't you see that the ego functions like a wound? - it hurts. Still you want to continue this wound, still you want to continue this wound forever and ever. You don't want to be cured? Ego is illness, to be egoless is to be cured. But you want to be saved forever.

In your very idea of remaining forever, being saved forever, there is a kind of miserliness. Spend. Spend yourself, because to be utterly spent is to be saved.

If even for a single moment you can taste the space called no-mind, then you will know there is nobody to die.

Nobody lives; nobody dies. No-thingness lives; no-thingness dies. You are not. Have a good laugh at this situation. You are not and you exist. You are not and you are. This is the cosmic joke.

Laughter towards death, but also towards life.

You are the world. When you are not, you have come home"

OSHO

http://www.osho.com/library/online-library-zen-attitude-death-99ab98a6-4ed.aspx

mehr

there is a bit of what happens to you in this documentary movie:

s1.mihandownload*com/2011/Hamidreza/June-2011/Documentary/Afterlife.XviD.%5Bwww*MihanDownload*com%5D.rar

password: www*mihandownload*com
change * to "." everywhere you see in both download url and the password, ok?

i repeat, just only a bit of truth.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
What do you think Chopra means when he says:

"What happens when you die, is you return to where you always are."

I think to understand what he meant it helps to have a familiarization with Advaita philosophy.

But to try to explain it to Westerners, I would say that God alone is real. And we are God then but seperated by several layers (sheaths) from our Source. So when you die, it's like just removing the outler layer (the physical body) and you now exist in a less dense sheath (astral body). You falsely identify with whatever outer sheath you are wearing but the center and only permanent part of your reality is your non-physical consciousness.

So, as he says, you return to where you always were.

godnotgod

Thou art That
I think to understand what he meant it helps to have a familiarization with Advaita philosophy.

But to try to explain it to Westerners, I would say that God alone is real. And we are God then but seperated by several layers (sheaths) from our Source. So when you die, it's like just removing the outler layer (the physical body) and you now exist in a less dense sheath (astral body). You falsely identify with whatever outer sheath you are wearing but the center and only permanent part of your reality is your non-physical consciousness.

So, as he says, you return to where you always were.

Which essentially is saying that there is no 'return' at all, but rather an awakening to where one has always been, an awakening from the dream of maya, or Identification, as you have stated, in which one mistakenly believes one's identity within the dream-state to be real, and in which one thinks oneself separate from the Absolute, and so must seek and 'return'.

Last edited:
I came up with a theory last night.

Chick Tracts and more hardline Christians like to quote that "nobody comes to the Father but through me" quote about Jesus (normal "apologetic" Christians, being weary of Chick Tracts, like to pretend it never existed :sorry1:). How could someone, even some who claims to be God say such a thing, in presence not just of many, many other faiths, but also 248k years or so (supposedly 250k is how long modern humans have been around, and we're not even counting the 2 million+ years of pre-human humans)? Then there's animals, which have been around in some form for much longer.

I'm Taoist-Christian-Shinto mix (which I call Aiken for some strange reason, I even wrote a tome of sorts), so yea, it annoys me too. Greatly.

What I finally came up with (which people, knowing humanity, will still find something to contest) was based on this historical movement of religion. In the beginning whatever God is (being/force/etc) created existence. Humans in particular noticed death, and rather than just getting upset (as alot of pets do, such as Hachiko and Greyfriar's Bobby) formed theories.
The first were single destination ones that looked pretty similar to depictions of life in the soil, eating worms. In other words, they sucked.

So, after this one, two major belief systems evolved, the first is basically like Buddhism (things will keep happening, until you become perfect and cease to exist, at least in this world), and the second comprises probably about half the modern religions. The theory is stripped of specific religious framework, Wanted Place and Unwanted Place (you could call it Heaven and Hell, but that's not accurate). With stuff like reincarnation, it's Wanted/Unwanted Fate (as in, you don't want to come back as a cockroach, you want to become a cow). Also, Hinduism is many varieties doesn't really teach interspecies reincarnation (you come back as a better or worse variety of human, not another critter), so this is slightly inaccurate.

Anyway... who decides? Self (you could have happy people declaring themselves righteous and going where they wanted, while depressed are doomed)? Other people (popularity contest)? God (judged by a set of laws or arbitrary whims, and Heaven help you, if you existed before those laws or didn't know about them)?

Hence, the idea of an intermediary. Someone who was basically an avatar sent to the Earth for a specific purpose. So how can he make this claim? Because what he's actually saying is not "I have some ultra-exclusive religion (which by the way, didn't exist yet)" but that his mission ultimately was to show people that they had an intermediary (regardless of how they believed). To this purpose, a sacrifice was given to "save sinners" (not Christian sinners, as there was no such thing prior to his death, and not Jewish only, the Samaritan woman proved as much). Whoever wants an intermediary, has been shown they can have one. I don't think Christianity should have been an actual religion, just a passed-on philosophic truth of divine intercessors.

You do not need to be of the Christian religion. You do not have to be human. You do not even have to have existed past the time of said Messiah. If you come to the tenets of your own religion, and are to be judged by them, you have to option of calling an "attorney" (Not even necessarily Jesus, you could probably call Krishna, other human-god equivalents too, or even someone random like Lao Tzu) to represent your case.

So what happens to you when you die? It's up to you. You can get help to go wherever you want to go (unless you're Hitler, then I'm not sure).

Last edited:

godnotgod

Thou art That
I came up with a theory last night.

Chick Tracts and more hardline Christians like to quote that "nobody comes to the Father but through me" quote about Jesus (normal "apologetic" Christians, being weary of Chick Tracts, like to pretend it never existed :sorry1:). How could someone, even some who claims to be God say such a thing, in presence not just of many, many other faiths, but also 248k years or so (supposedly 250k is how long modern humans have been around, and we're not even counting the 2 million+ years of pre-human humans)? Then there's animals, which have been around in some form for much longer.

I'm Taoist-Christian-Shinto mix (which I call Aiken for some strange reason, I even wrote a tome of sorts), so yea, it annoys me too. Greatly.

What I finally came up with (which people, knowing humanity, will still find something to contest) was based on this historical movement of religion. In the beginning whatever God is (being/force/etc) created existence. Humans in particular noticed death, and rather than just getting upset (as alot of pets do, such as Hachiko and Greyfriar's Bobby) formed theories.
The first were single destination ones that looked pretty similar to depictions of life in the soil, eating worms. In other words, they sucked.

So, after this one, two major belief systems evolved, the first is basically like Buddhism (things will keep happening, until you become perfect and cease to exist, at least in this world), and the second comprises probably about half the modern religions. The theory is stripped of specific religious framework, Wanted Place and Unwanted Place (you could call it Heaven and Hell, but that's not accurate). With stuff like reincarnation, it's Wanted/Unwanted Fate (as in, you don't want to come back as a cockroach, you want to become a cow). Also, Hinduism is many varieties doesn't really teach interspecies reincarnation (you come back as a better or worse variety of human, not another critter), so this is slightly inaccurate.

Anyway... who decides? Self (you could have happy people declaring themselves righteous and going where they wanted, while depressed are doomed)? Other people (popularity contest)? God (judged by a set of laws or arbitrary whims, and Heaven help you, if you existed before those laws or didn't know about them)?

Hence, the idea of an intermediary. Someone who was basically an avatar sent to the Earth for a specific purpose. So how can he make this claim? Because what he's actually saying is not "I have some ultra-exclusive religion (which by the way, didn't exist yet)" but that his mission ultimately was to show people that they had an intermediary (regardless of how they believed). To this purpose, a sacrifice was given to "save sinners" (not Christian sinners, as there was no such thing prior to his death, and not Jewish only, the Samaritan woman proved as much). Whoever wants an intermediary, has been shown they can have one. I don't think Christianity should have been an actual religion, just a passed-on philosophic truth of divine intercessors.

You do not need to be of the Christian religion. You do not have to be human. You do not even have to have existed past the time of said Messiah. If you come to the tenets of your own religion, and are to be judged by them, you have to option of calling an "attorney" (Not even necessarily Jesus, you could probably call Krishna, other human-god equivalents too, or even someone random like Lao Tzu) to represent your case.

So what happens to you when you die? It's up to you. You can get help to go wherever you want to go (unless you're Hitler, then I'm not sure).

Zen asks, simply: "Who is it that lives? Who is it that dies?

re: "Nobody comes to the Father.....": where 'the Father' represents the divine consciousness of the Absolute, and 'through me' represents the awakened Self, the 'I AM', that eternally dwells in this Present Moment, is without memory or history.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Well, if "you" do not exist how, exactly, can "you" return to where "you" always are?
Frankly, I don't take "Sixpack" Chopra seriously. I'm not sure why others do other than perhaps he supports the primitive frameworks of their own thinking.

What happens when you die? Oh, that one is easy. What happens when you die is exactly what you EXPECT will happen, for awhile, at least. In other words, due to the fluid, Plasticine nature of reality, at that stage, reality will mirror your expectations of how you believe it should behave. Given that no two people have identical beliefs, no two death experiences are ever the same even for the individual, death after death. Eventually even the dullest buggers begin to understand that there is only life and that death is simply a change of scenery. The show continues...

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Well, if "you" do not exist how, exactly, can "you" return to where "you" always are?
Frankly, I don't take "Sixpack" Chopra seriously.

By 'you' he is referring to a sense of ego (individual entity): any sense that you are an individual seperate from the universe. The ego is retracting back to what it always was; God/Brahman/Absolute.......and the seperate existance was just an illusion.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
By 'you' he is referring to a sense of ego (individual entity): any sense that you are an individual seperate from the universe. The ego is retracting back to what it always was; God/Brahman/Absolute.......and the seperate existance was just an illusion.
I know, George. It was more of a rhetorical question. :facepalm:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Frankly, I don't take "Sixpack" Chopra seriously. I'm not sure why others do other than perhaps he supports the primitive frameworks of their own thinking.
What happens when you die? Oh, that one is easy. What happens when you die is exactly what you EXPECT will happen, for awhile, at least. In other words, due to the fluid, Plasticine nature of reality, at that stage, reality will mirror your expectations of how you believe it should behave. Given that no two people have identical beliefs, no two death experiences are ever the same even for the individual, death after death. Eventually even the dullest buggers begin to understand that there is only life and that death is simply a change of scenery. The show continues...

Adam's death experience was that Adam RETURNED to the dust.
A person does not 'return' to somewhere that he have never been before.
Adam was inanimate until God breathed the 'breath of life' in Adam.
Adam did not exist before he started to breathe.
At death Adam became a dead soul or person [ Ezekiel 18 vs 4,20 ]
Adam was not conscious before he was created as a living soul [ Gen. 2 v 7]
At death Adam became no longer conscious.
- Ecclesiastes 9 v 5- the dead know nothing [not conscious]
Adam had no change of scenery because Adam saw nor thought anything.
As Jesus taught the dead are in a sleep-like condition- John 11 vs 11-14
[death's sleep is also what the Psalms teach -Psalms 6 v 5; 13 v 3; 115 v 17; 146 v 4 ]
The only ones having a 'change of scenery' are those who will be resurrected from death's sleep by Jesus either to heaven for some [Rev. 20 v 6 ], or for the majority [John 3 v 13 ]resurrected back to life on earth during Jesus 1000-year reign over earth as earthly subjects of God's kingdom in the hands of Christ Jesus.

godnotgod

Thou art That
A person does not 'return' to somewhere that he have never been before.

You're missing Chopra's point. Notice that he says he 'returns to where he has always been'. So the 'return' is not real, since the self that imagines itself separate and in need of 'return' is an illusion. Man is in a dream state, called 'Identification', in which he imagines the character he is playing out to be real. Upon spiritual awakening, it is realized that this character never existed in the first place, that it, as a separate ego acting upon the world, is completely fraudulent. That which realizes this is the Authentic Self, The Absolute, that which 'has always been here', and therefore, is not in need of any 'return'. That character in Identification is dissolved away, just as the character in a dream is dissolved away upon awakening. This Awakening from the illusory existence in Identification is called 'Enlightenment'.

godnotgod

Thou art That
When Yeshu said: 'Before Abraham was, I AM', it was this "I AM" that is the Authentic Self, that which dwells forever in this eternal Present Moment, which has no history in time, which is unborn, and therefore, deathless.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Chopra comes from a Hindu background and preaches largely within a related New Age context, so it sounds like he's talking about Brahman.

In some subsets of Hinduism, the soul is equivalent with the oneness of the entire universe. Moksha, in that context, is reached when one becomes the undifferentiated observer.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Someone could just have easily said this ^, about this:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
When Yeshu said: 'Before Abraham was, I AM', it was this "I AM" that is the Authentic Self, that which dwells forever in this eternal Present Moment, which has no history in time, which is unborn, and therefore, deathless.

Why do you capitalize the words 'I AM' when they are not capitalized in Scripture ?

Jesus is first born of every creature [ Col. 1 v 15; Gen. 1 v 26 ] so Jesus had a pre-human heavenly existence before God send his heavenly Son to earth.

Only God is from everlasting according to Psalm 90 v 2.
So, only God was before the beginning.
Jesus was Not before the beginning as God was before the beginning.
- Rev. 3 v 14

godnotgod

Thou art That
Why do you capitalize the words 'I AM' when they are not capitalized in Scripture ?

I have seen it written that way.

Jesus is first born of every creature [ Col. 1 v 15; Gen. 1 v 26 ] so Jesus had a pre-human heavenly existence before God send his heavenly Son to earth.

Only God is from everlasting according to Psalm 90 v 2.
So, only God was before the beginning.
Jesus was Not before the beginning as God was before the beginning.
- Rev. 3 v 14
This makes no sense at all. 'Before the beginning' cannot be a reality, since 'before' refers to linear time, which did not exist then. Liner time is an illusion. There is, in reality, no 'before' or 'after'; there is only this eternal Present Moment, ie: 'as it was in the Beginning, is now, and every shall be, world without end'.

'The Beginning' did not occur in time, since for there to be a Beginning, time would already have had to been in place. What is referred to as 'The Beginning' is really a point along an eternal, cyclic continuum that is always 'Now'.

Yeshu, by virtue of his being a divine being, does not dwell in illusory linear time, ie; 'history'. His essence is always in the eternal present, where there is no birth or death. There is only 'I AM', where "I AM" is pure being transcendent of time, and not mere existence, which is locked into linear time. It is this timeless nature of his divinity that allows him to say: 'Before Abraham, [who IS a creature subject to birth and death] I AM' [ie; 'I dwell in this living present moment, not in the dead past nor in the non-existent future'] In other words, Yeshu is deathless.

The real truth of Yeshu the mystic has been overwritten by the mythical character of 'Jesus'.

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Of course Jesus was before Abraham [No capital AM in Scripture] 'before Abraham' because Jesus had a pre-human existence in the heavens before God sent Jesus to earth. God sent his heavenly existing Son from heaven to earth to be born on earth. God sent the one who was the beginning of the creation by God. -Revelation 3 v 14.

Even the resurrected ascended back-to-heaven Jesus does not make himself an equal, but doesn't Jesus still think he is 'Son' according to Revelation 2 v 18; 3 v 12