• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What has happened to Protestantism?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I was baptized an Anglican a few weeks ago.

I am finding, however, that young Protestants (under 30 or 35) seem to take Protestantism to mean:

1. No liturgy.

2. No Tradition.

3. No Saints.

4. Bible only.

5. Rock music.

Etc.

This is not Anglicanism, the largest Protestant denomination in the world. This is not Lutheranism, either.

What is going on?

Do people think liturgy = RCC?

Saints = RCC?

Tradition = RCC?

I have grown up with Anglicanism and we have and always have had all these things.

Wtf is happening to Protestantism?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
protestantism has taking away the sacred in the church.. sad yes

angelican, catholic and ortdox chuches give people a feeling of awe and feeling the divine

by the way congratulations on being baptised:blush:

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I got baptised many years ago, and it counted because I was baptised into the Methodist Church, which is the American version of the Anglican Church, which is Trinitarian. Anyway, I digress. Congrats!

I don't know what has happened, but I do know that I attended a Methodist church till a few years ago, and it did not have saints per se, but it did have a liturgy and vestments and things like that. No rock music either. I liked it pretty well, but I prefer Roman Catholicism for me personally.

Kathryn

Not sure where you heard this but it's not true.
Actually, it is true though it became it's own denomination after John Wesley's death.

"Methodism originated as a revival movement within Anglicanism originating out of the Church of England in the 18th century and became a separate denomination after Wesley's death."

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
I got baptised many years ago, and it counted because I was baptised into the Methodist Church, which is the American version of the Anglican Church, which is Trinitarian. Anyway, I digress. Congrats!

I don't know what has happened, but I do know that I attended a Methodist church till a few years ago, and it did not have saints per se, but it did have a liturgy and vestments and things like that. No rock music either. I liked it pretty well, but I prefer Roman Catholicism for me personally.
Isn't the Episcopalian church the US version of Anglicanism?????

I go to a Methodist church

And I much prefer it when someone is on the organ to when there is a rock band set up

And I prefer old-fashioned church buildings to more modern ones

As for rock and roll in churches, I am reminded of something from King of The Hill

randr.jpg

Kathryn

Anglicans are considered to be Protestants. Remember Henry VIII and all that brouhaha?

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Many Protestant churches are trying to meet the Congregational preferences within the church atmosphere to both draw congregants and to keep them. The changes in music often draw more powerful feelings of connection when it feels personal and current. "Onward Christian soldiers marching onto war..." doesn't play as well to most of today's worshipers as "My God is an awesome God..."

As far as Saints go, that's simply not recognized in many Protestant denominations. Saints may be honored and remembered for their righteousness and wisdom, but they were merely mortal man and are not revered or prayed to, etc.

An order of worship, or liturgy, is followed, but may be much more informal and relaxed, or certain aspects held only for certain services and not adhered to on a prescribed basis. ie. Communion is quite different from Eucharist, though still in the tradition of the Last Supper.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Many Protestant churches are trying to meet the Congregational preferences within the church atmosphere to both draw congregants and to keep them. The changes in music often draw more powerful feelings of connection when it feels personal and current. "Onward Christian soldiers marching onto war..." doesn't play as well to most of today's worshipers as "My God is an awesome God..."

As far as Saints go, that's simply not recognized in many Protestant denominations. Saints may be honored and remembered for their righteousness and wisdom, but they were merely mortal man and are not revered or prayed to, etc.

An order of worship, or liturgy, is followed, but may be much more informal and relaxed, or certain aspects held only for certain services and not adhered to on a prescribed basis. ie. Communion is quite different from Eucharist, though still in the tradition of the Last Supper.
Except this is not Anglicanism or Lutheranism, the two largest Prot denominations out there.

So what is going on.