• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if we accepted each others Religion?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
You're saying something similar to what I'm saying. There would have to be different sections for different faiths. Not all faiths accept the same premise for their faith (obviously). So right away there's a problem with thinking somehow everybody can or should accept everyone else's faith as true, perhaps. Or that which they accept in the matter of worship.
For me it's not acceptance of the belief, but more acceptance and support for that person to have said belief. If it were accepting the belief, then the people who did it would wander around in some confused state not knowing where to turn next. By definition, you can't hold contradictory beliefs.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
The basic concept of progressive revelation, a core principle of the Baha'i faith, does the same thing. It says that with each new age there is a new prophet and new revelations, and this age is the age of baha'ullah, updating or 'progressing' from previous existing faiths that are now outdated. So although they claim to encourage tolerance, in actuality they don't as other faiths are all now 'outdated'. Lots of talk without substance.
Not necessarily completely accurate as each of these religions prophecies the return of its own Prophet so there is a ‘link’ connecting the religions to one another making them all part of one unfolding process. We believe that Baha’u’llah was prophesied by all these Faiths so in reality He is an integral part of ‘their’ beliefs as He fulfills their prophecies.

Nothing in this world is permanent including religion. Religions are born and die. This is reflected in this passage from the Bhagavad-Gita. Ch 4:7-8 So although religions outwardly exist, Krishna is stating that at a time of irreligion He reappears to reestablish the principles of religion. All Baha’is are guilty of is accepting Him in His new garb.

Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion – at that time I descend Myself.

To deliver the pious and to annihilate the miscreants, as well as to reestablish the principles of religion, I Myself appear, millennium after millennium.

All the major religions have this theme of an awaited Promised One. The test for people is identifying Him.

Dao Hao Now

We believe that Baha’u’llah was prophesied by all these Faiths so in reality He is an integral part of ‘their’ beliefs as He fulfills their prophecies.
Yet all those faiths see Baha’u’llah as heretical.
All the major religions have this theme of an awaited Promised One. The test for people is identifying Him.
They also warn of false profits…….
Surely you can see the problem here.

That you yearn for peace and unity among mankind is admirable.
That you can’t fathom that religions are antithetical to that goal is naive.

Maninthemiddle

Firstly I am only referring to the major religions.

Next I’m speaking of accepting the Founder and the spiritual teachings such as virtues and prayer etc not the laws. The administration of each faith would remain.

So Christians would accept Buddha and Muhammad, Buddhists would accept Christ and Baha’is etc

And instead of segregating ourselves in our own churches, pagodas, temples and synagogues, we would visit each others places of worship to meditate and pray together. We Baha’is already do this and read from all the sacred scriptures of each religion in all our services.

In this way we can celebrate our diversity. I think in many places this is happening and also interfaith breaking down barriers. I myself I accept all the major religions and their Founders and Holy Books and find this enriches me greatly. So I read something Christ or Buddha said and it’s a great experience. Christ says to love and Buddha says to fight hate with love and that the greatest of all conquerors is he who conquers his own self. So much wisdom from all these faiths. Why should we deprive ourselves.? If you have any favourite verses please feel most welcome to share them.

Next I’m speaking of accepting the Founder and the spiritual teachings such as virtues and prayer etc not the laws. The administration of each faith would remain.

So Christians would accept Buddha and Muhammad, Buddhists would accept Christ and Baha’is etc

And instead of segregating ourselves in our own churches, pagodas, temples and synagogues, we would visit each others places of worship to meditate and pray together. We Baha’is already do this and read from all the sacred scriptures of each religion in all our services.

In this way we can celebrate our diversity. I think in many places this is happening and also interfaith breaking down barriers. I myself I accept all the major religions and their Founders and Holy Books and find this enriches me greatly. So I read something Christ or Buddha said and it’s a great experience. Christ says to love and Buddha says to fight hate with love and that the greatest of all conquerors is he who conquers his own self. So much wisdom from all these faiths. Why should we deprive ourselves.? If you have any favourite verses please feel most welcome to share them.
We need tolerance not acceptance.
Tolerance is important in fostering peaceful coexistence and respecting the beliefs and practices of others. It allows individuals to live harmoniously, even if they do not fully agree with or accept each other's religions.
I cannot be expected to accept into my circle a Religions teachings that are likely to stunt my spiritual growth, I can however tolerate those other Religions and leave them be.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
They are? Interesting.

Please tell me what the spiritual teaching is on these questions that's similar across all "major" religions:
  • God is made up of how many persons?
  • Was Jesus the Messiah?
  • Was Muhammad a prophet?
  • Did the Buddha attain enlightenment?
  • Is pilgrimage to Mecca necessary?
  • What does a person need to do to reach Heaven?
  • What happens to unbelievers when they die?
Those are not what Baha'is consider spiritual teachings.

The first part of the Religion of God which refers to spiritual things is the same in every religion. The second part of the Religion of God which refers to material things is different in each religion. It changes in each prophetic cycle to accommodate the needs of the times.

In the following passage, the Law of God refers to the divinely revealed religion of God. The spiritual message (spiritual virtues and divine qualities) are the same in all the great world religions:

“the Law of God is divided into two parts. One is the fundamental basis which comprises all spiritual things—that is to say, it refers to the spiritual virtues and divine qualities; this does not change nor alter: it is the Holy of Holies, which is the essence of the Law of Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Christ, Muhammad, the Báb, and Bahá’u’lláh, and which lasts and is established in all the prophetic cycles. It will never be abrogated, for it is spiritual and not material truth; it is faith, knowledge, certitude, justice, piety, righteousness, trustworthiness, love of God, benevolence, purity, detachment, humility, meekness, patience and constancy. It shows mercy to the poor, defends the oppressed, gives to the wretched and uplifts the fallen......

These divine qualities, these eternal commandments, will never be abolished; nay, they will last and remain established for ever and ever. These virtues of humanity will be renewed in each of the different cycles; for at the end of every cycle the spiritual Law of God—that is to say, the human virtues—disappears, and only the form subsists.
Some Answered Questions, pp. 47-48

“The second part of the Religion of God, which refers to the material world, and which comprises fasting, prayer, forms of worship, marriage and divorce, the abolition of slavery, legal processes, transactions, indemnities for murder, violence, theft and injuries—this part of the Law of God, which refers to material things, is modified and altered in each prophetic cycle in accordance with the necessities of the times.”
Some Answered Questions, pp. 48

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I believe Bahai's don't really accept Christ. They just have their own false versions of Him.
I believe that many versions of Christ that Christians have are false, especially the version that says that the same Jesus is coming back to earth.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Atheists do a great job of being tolerant.

This has been my overall experience here on RF.

I don't have a problem conversing with any of the atheists on this forum. I can't say the same for most of the Abrahamic theists, though.

Of course this allows healthy discourse when theists make strong assertions of truth, which they should know better than to do in open debate.

Yes, and some of them get called out for stating their preferred religious beliefs as if they were definitive facts in an open debate as well.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I believe some Christians urged me not to attend a Muslim prayer meeting because they figured I would encounter the devil there and I have heard that some Christians have aversions towards entering a Hindu temple for the same reasons. I have found the Muslims to be godly enough when they are not being influenced by the devil and I have battled the devil and won so I would not fear to tread on unholy ground.
Christians are anything but tolerant. Last year I attended a grief group put on by Christians at a local church and I had to hide my true identity as a Baha'i. During one of the sessions on heaven it was made abundantly clear that only Christians go to heaven. It was everything I could do to not say something, but I kept my mouth shut.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Those are not what Baha'is consider spiritual teachings.

But they are considered spiritual teachings by the religions that @loverofhumanity suggests should be accepted.

Accepting those religions would require accepting those religions' position on this issue.

The first part of the Religion of God which refers to spiritual things is the same in every religion. The second part of the Religion of God which refers to material things is different in each religion. It changes in each prophetic cycle to accommodate the needs of the times.

You're saying the quiet part out loud. @loverofhumanity was trying to maintain the pretense that this thread isn't about Baha'i proselytizing. You're blowing his cover.

In the following passage, the Law of God refers to the divinely revealed religion of God. The spiritual message (spiritual virtues and divine qualities) are the same in all the great world religions:

So I was right: we're only talking about accepting the parts of each religion that agree with the Baha'i faith.

Things would go much more smoothly if you and @loverofhumanity were open and honest about what you were doing.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

Perhaps you should edit your thread title because, in the light of your OP, it appears to be misleading. If I understand your OP correctly, you're not suggesting accepting the spiritual truths of non-Abrahamic religions. So it seems to me that you are once again proselytizing your Baha'i beliefs.

Am I mistaken about this?