• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What If You Were Born Another Religion?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Ah, so that is my point Mr Emu. You did NOT create christianity.
Therefore?

I guess it all depends on where you're born. ::shrugs:: disagree?
Indeed I do, were it all to depend on where(or in what circumstances) one is born, one would expect to find that all of a population to believe certain ways... Perhaps more precise language would serve better...

I would say, if one is taught something and accepts the teaching, and experiences nothing to contradict what was taught, then one is likely to continue accepting it.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I must agree with Mister Emu. While it is legitimate to question and even reject the religion one is born into, there is no inherent duty to disagree with it.

There is room to wonder how likely people would be to settle with different beliefs under different circunstances, of course. But that is no ground to make sweeping statements, I fear.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I imagine if I was born in a Muslim country I'd be a Muslim, in an atheist country I'd be an atheist.
But it doesn't mean anything to me becaise if if if -then I wouldn't be me I'd be someone else.

Erebus

I recently signed up and have been reading what people have had to say about a lot of different topics. I didn't see any particular topics about the one I'm presenting. I am curious to know though, to some of the people who are zealous or even moderate with their religious views, what would you do if you were born into another religion? Would you still have the same beleifs? Would this nullify the God you have now since you would be brought up to know of another God? By God, I'm referring to the highest being specific to that religion. After all, we only beleive ideas that were drilled into our heads when we were young. Some of us have learned to form our own...others haven't.

Depends on the religion I was born into I guess. If it was a moderate/liberal religion I would probably still be a diabolist. In some religions/countries however I would likely have been abused and/or killed.
I feel like I was always meant to follow the Prince of Darkness (Satan, Set, Ahriman or whatever name you want to call him) and I doubt I could have stayed in my parent's religion regardless of what it was.

Truth_Faith13

I recently signed up and have been reading what people have had to say about a lot of different topics. I didn't see any particular topics about the one I'm presenting. I am curious to know though, to some of the people who are zealous or even moderate with their religious views, what would you do if you were born into another religion? Would you still have the same beleifs? Would this nullify the God you have now since you would be brought up to know of another God? By God, I'm referring to the highest being specific to that religion. After all, we only beleive ideas that were drilled into our heads when we were young. Some of us have learned to form our own...others haven't.

Tricky one - For the most part I think if people were born into a different religion it wouldnt make a difference as many people who follow certain beliefs didnt when they were younger.It has been their own journey, that they have found through searching. Many parents would like to think they can "drill" things into their kids head, but generally speaking most people develop their own sense of knowledge etc.

My mum and I is an example. Although I know my Mum will always think she has my best interest in mind - often what she may think is best for me isnt. I also am now aware that Mum doesnt know everything (we are all human after all and cant possibly know the answer to every question) and sometimes she is wrong. Take me back 10years and I would have believed everything my mother told me!

Of course people who live in a more oppressive community may have more of a struggle. Few could be "brainwashed" but many may form their own ideas in their head and just "pretend" to follow the religion they were born into through fear. But for them personally they still wouldnt agree with the religion they were born into. Of course you do then have people who happen to agree with their parents!

Then again after all of that said it is impossible to figure out actions from a circumstance that is never going to happen (unless you believe in rebirth!)

dust1n

Zindīq

I'm pretty sure the difference of events Yesterday and plausible alternative events Yesterday would have created a completely different perspective of reality Today, let alone what would happen if my childhood was vastly different.

dogsgod

Religion is gay no matter where we are born, not that there's anything wrong with being gay.

Thesavorofpan

Is not going to save you.
When I was growing up I wasn't force to go to any religious places. I choose to start going in my early teens. So I don't think I can really answer your question.

Alien

I Fly Space.
It's interesting that a lot of you can't even really put yourself in that situation where you could see yourself being any other religion than what you are. My point was this, if you were born in india and the town you're in is 100% hindu and thats all you know and learn...chances are you won't be jewish. How could you be a religion that you wouldn't have even known existed? It's not really possible. People in remote villages secluded from the outside world don't even know of the religions we practice they have their own beleif system. It's not to say anybody is wrong or right, but just because we beleive and accept something doesn't make it true. It's only true for that invidual who accepts it. In other words, it's all in your head.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It's interesting that a lot of you can't even really put yourself in that situation where you could see yourself being any other religion than what you are. My point was this, if you were born in india and the town you're in is 100% hindu and thats all you know and learn...chances are you won't be jewish. How could you be a religion that you wouldn't have even known existed? It's not really possible. People in remote villages secluded from the outside world don't even know of the religions we practice they have their own beleif system. It's not to say anybody is wrong or right, but just because we beleive and accept something doesn't make it true. It's only true for that invidual who accepts it. In other words, it's all in your head.
I think a lot of people are reacting to your statement that we ONLY believe what we're indoctrinated with.

You're partially right in that MOST people do just go with what they're taught. You're partially wrong in that not all do. There are an awful lot of people on the planet, and even a small minority includes many, many people.

Alien

I Fly Space.
I think a lot of people are reacting to your statement that we ONLY believe what we're indoctrinated with.

You're partially right in that MOST people do just go with what they're taught. You're partially wrong in that not all do. There are an awful lot of people on the planet, and even a small minority includes many, many people.

I don't disagree with you. Thats why when I started this thread I wrote in the first post that some accept it and some don't. The point I was getting at though, religion is something that we're introduced to, not something we are born with. If some of the people on this forum were never introduced to religion, what do you think that would mean in terms of their beleif in a god?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't disagree with you. Thats why when I started this thread I wrote in the first post that some accept it and some don't. The point I was getting at though, religion is something that we're introduced to, not something we are born with. If some of the people on this forum were never introduced to religion, what do you think that would mean in terms of their beleif in a god?
Well, I think some would still believe. I do.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
But how would you get to that concept of a God or religion if it were never introduced to you?
Well, I for one believe because of personal experience. Has nothing to with what I was raised to. If no one else had ever thought of it, I'd probably lack the vocabulary to communicate it, but I'd still believe.

Alien

I Fly Space.
Well, I for one believe because of personal experience. Has nothing to with what I was raised to. If no one else had ever thought of it, I'd probably lack the vocabulary to communicate it, but I'd still believe.

You just answered my question of:
But how would you get to that concept of a God or religion if it were never introduced to you?

...by saying you'd still believe? Believe what? None of these concepts were introduced to you. How do you get to that concept of a god or religion in order to "believe" if it's unknown?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
You just answered my question of:

...by saying you'd still believe? Believe what? None of these concepts were introduced to you. How do you get to that concept of a god or religion in order to "believe" if it's unknown?
Try reading the whole post. I also said I have direct personal experience. I'd believe that whether I had the words to describe it or not.

Alien

I Fly Space.
Try reading the whole post. I also said I have direct personal experience. I'd believe that whether I had the words to describe it or not.

So if you were never introduced to the idea of god or a religion in a hypothetical situation, you'd still believe because you have direct personal experiences. This doesn't make sense. What kind of experiences? You wouldn't be able to base these experiences to anything pertaining to God or Religion because it was never introduced to you. So how exactly are you believing in something that hypothetically is going to be unknown to you?