• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What If You Were Born Another Religion?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
So if you were never introduced to the idea of god or a religion in a hypothetical situation, you'd still believe because you have direct personal experiences. This doesn't make sense. What kind of experiences? You wouldn't be able to base these experiences to anything pertaining to God or Religion because it was never introduced to you. So how exactly are you believing in something that hypothetically is going to be unknown to you?
It's called theophany, and it's probably where we got the idea of God in the first place.

Tell me, if you can't believe anything that wasn't taught to you, where do new ideas come from? Not just religion, but science, politics, everything.

Alien

I Fly Space.
It's called theophany, and it's probably where we got the idea of God in the first place.

Tell me, if you can't believe anything that wasn't taught to you, where do new ideas come from? Not just religion, but science, politics, everything.

Exactly, we came to the "Idea" of god. That is all I wanted to get out of you in this conversation. And I belive things that are taught to me, I just have a hard time believing things that can't be proven. If there was no religion, or concept of god, we would have to create one....which is what we did. Again, it's all in our heads. If we can imagine it, it could be real, doesn't mean it is real though.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Exactly, we came to the "Idea" of god. That is all I wanted to get out of you in this conversation. And I belive things that are taught to me, I just have a hard time believing things that can't be proven. If there was no religion, or concept of god, we would have to create one....which is what we did. Again, it's all in our heads. If we can imagine it, it could be real, doesn't mean it is real though.
Non sequitur. The fact that we conceive of God(s) does not show "it's all in our heads." We also conceive of everything else.

Alien

I Fly Space.
Non sequitur. The fact that we conceive of God(s) does not show "it's all in our heads." We also conceive of everything else.

It's not in our heads? You said it yourself, we "came to the idea of a god". So where did we think it up if not in our heads?

We can touch those other things we conceive, we can't touch god. The things we can't touch are simply emotions, perceptions and feelings are they not? What are they?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It's not in our heads? You said it yourself, we "came to the idea of a god". So where did we think it up if not in our heads?

We can touch those other things we conceive, we can't touch god. The things we can't touch are simply emotions, perceptions and feelings are they not? What are they?
We cannot touch love, or justice, or ethics.

It is, as you said perception. Perception implies there is something to be perceived.