• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What, in your opinion, is the worst thing one person can do to another?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I have a hard time answering the question. What do you believe to be the worst thing a person can do to another. Some examples (as if you need them):
Rape
Murder(of person or of family members of person)
Molest
torture
and many more.

(I apologize if this topic turns out to be too morbid)

A

angellous_evangellous

Aside from the obvious crimes -

Not help another achieve good for humanity.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I have a hard time answering the question. What do you believe to be the worst thing a person can do to another. Some examples (as if you need them):
Rape
Murder(of person or of family members of person)
Molest
torture
and many more.

(I apologize if this topic turns out to be too morbid)
None of these things, though they are not pretty, to be sure.

In my view, the worst thing we do to each other is in not allowing others to just be themselves. We spend so much time and energy trying to be what others expect us to be and it is my view that this effort is what gives rise to the things you have cited.

MSizer

MSizer
IMO, it would be to fail to recognize a person's inherent dignity. It seems to me that it is the stem for any immoral treatment of a person, however it actually manifests itself.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Again I will point to the recent train station beating. Just let the girl stomping on the other girls head without intervention.
You have a particular expectation of the girl who is doing the beating. Is it better that she live up to your immediate expectations of her, or that she be allowed to develop into "a good person" on her own?

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
The worst thing someone can do to another person:

Kidnap them and their family/friends. Tie them up and make them watch as their family/friends are slowly tortured to death. Then putting them in a tiny room full of bright lights and throwing scary spiders all over them. Then killing puppies and kittens in front of them and throwing the corpses into the room with the kidnapped person. Tie them up and give them an IV they cannot remove so that they stay hydrated and all that and cannot die. Skin them alive and throw salt on them. Make sure the room they are in is glass and make them watch as you have parties with your friends and then let your friends throw old rotten milk all over the kidnapped person. Make the room really hot and then really cold so they'll get sick (if they aren't already). Then say really mean things about them and their dead family and friends. Torture them for years and years but never let them die.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Again I will point to the recent train station beating. Just let the girl stomping on the other girls head without intervention.

You two are right we need more of that!
:facepalm:

I disagree. If the beater or stomper, in this case, had been allowed to grow without what are quite likely perverse influences she would not think to do this to another.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I still think being ignored is right up there. By being ignored you are simultaneously not being respected, loved and many other things. Harry Potter backs this and if Harry Potter thinks that being ignored is the worst thing then it must be true :p

rageoftyrael

Veritas
Wow, i'm seeing tons of really..... pointless things here. Being ignored? Not being allowed to be who you are? Are you guys serious? These are the worst things you can come up with? Wow, i'm sensing people who are ignored, or who weren't allowed to be who they are, lol. Acting like those are the WORST things is ignorant. You look at these horrible things that could be done, and go, "oh no, being raped and killed, definitely not the worst thing".

I'd like to see you go up to someone who's family was just raped and killed, in front of them, and saying"Well, at least they weren't ignored, eh? Oh wait, you aren't dead, so they ignored you, i'm so sorry." Get off the psychological mumbo jumbo, stop thinking you are being clever by coming up with some bs answer that is so obviously exactly that, bs. Some questions don't need an unexpected answer. Sometimes they are really obvious. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but really? At least whereismynotecard actually understood the question. Even if she was joking, not sure about that, don't want to give her too much credit, lol.

Being ignored, or not being allowed to "be yourself"(sarcastic tone) is not even close to the worst possible thing that can happen to you. I said it up there, the worst possible thing that could happen to you, in my opinion, is to have the people you love with all your heart hurt, defiled, and killed right in front of you, and then they let you live. There is nothing worse than that. At that point, i'm an atheist, i don't think there's anything after death, but i don't think i'd want to continue to live. But you guys are right, being ignored, or not being allowed to be yourself, definitely the worst possible things that could happen.

Yeah, right.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, seeing people you love suffering and dying is horrific. Definitely right up there with the worst things. I guess when I was thinking 'ignored' I was talking about living life complete ostracised by society, not cared about, not important to anyone. Complete loneliness, no dignity, no self of worth. That's a pretty low place to be.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Wow, i'm seeing tons of really..... pointless things here. Being ignored? Not being allowed to be who you are? Are you guys serious? These are the worst things you can come up with? Wow, i'm sensing people who are ignored, or who weren't allowed to be who they are, lol. Acting like those are the WORST things is ignorant. You look at these horrible things that could be done, and go, "oh no, being raped and killed, definitely not the worst thing".
My guess is that the low end of the kiddies wading pool of life looks pretty deep from your perspective.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It depends on the person and what has the worst overall negative impact on them. Although, if I had to generalize, I'd say murdering someone is the worst thing you can do to them, because you are taking away everything they have, everything they are, and everything they could potentially be, experience, and have.