• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a 'Being'?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What is a 'Being'? What does it mean to "be a 'Being'"?

Are questions like this ones that should be asked?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Willamena,

Personally the following dictionary meaning is acceptable:
a. Something, such as an object, an idea, or a symbol, that exists, is thought to exist, or is represented as existing.
b. The totality of all things that exist.

Love & rgds

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
What is a 'Being'? What does it mean to "be a 'Being'"?
I don't have a clue, so I'll be watching this thread closely. Trinitarian Christians keep telling me that God is a Being. They tell me that the Father is a divine person and that the Son is a divine person and that the Holy Ghost is a divine person. In spite of this, they are only one Being, which is known as God. To me, Jesus was a Being in His own right, but I guess maybe He was just a third of a Being. :rolleyes:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
a. Something, such as an object, an idea, or a symbol, that exists, is thought to exist, or is represented as existing.
b. The totality of all things that exist.
Aren't an idea and a symbol an object, and isn't an object a thing?

Do you think the dictionary is playing games with us?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I don't have a clue, so I'll be watching this thread closely. Trinitarian Christians keep telling me that God is a Being. They tell me that the Father is a divine person and that the Son is a divine person and that the Holy Ghost is a divine person. In spite of this, they are only one Being, which is known as God. To me, Jesus was a Being in His own right, but I guess maybe He was just a third of a Being. :rolleyes:
I guess the Trinity is a mystery to a lot of us. :)

kadzbiz

A Being would be self-aware.

How do you define "self aware"? I saw where they proved a chimp was self aware because he recognised himself in a mirror, but there's many animals that don't recognised themselves, so does that make them not self aware, thus not a bieng?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
How do you define "self aware"? I saw where they proved a chimp was self aware because he recognised himself in a mirror, but there's many animals that don't recognised themselves, so does that make them not self aware, thus not a bieng?
Recognizing ones self in the mirror is not "self aware"
The awareness that one is an individual, with independent thoughts is "self-awareness"

kadzbiz

Recognizing ones self in the mirror is not "self aware" The awareness that one is an individual, with independent thoughts is "self-awareness"

That's not what the scientists said who were conducting the test. The chimp, it may have been a gorilla, had a red painted dot on his forehead and he realised it was himself because he tried to rub away the dog. Other animals did not realise it was themselves. The testers said that this was "self awareness".

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Willamena

Aren't an idea and a symbol an object, and isn't an object a thing?

Do you think the dictionary is playing games with us?

Dictionary just tries to cover synonym for broader understanding only.

Love & rgds

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
That's not what the scientists said who were conducting the test. The chimp, it may have been a gorilla, had a red painted dot on his forehead and he realised it was himself because he tried to rub away the dog. Other animals did not realise it was themselves. The testers said that this was "self awareness".
It may be an example of self awareness, but an animal that does not recognize itself may still be self aware.