• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a 'Being'?

A bean is a thing I put in chili, lots of them and a variety of them, black beans, red beans, etc. they have lots of fiber so they tend to make a lot of noise.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I think being requires awareness. In order to "be," it needs to exist in a temporal and spatial--though, maybe not?--relationship. In other words, without measurement of some kind, there is no way to determine that something "be."

Temporal and spatial measurement require an observer to define points in relation to each other.

mr.guy

crapsack
I think being requires awareness. In order to "be," it needs to exist in a temporal and spatial--though, maybe not?--relationship. In other words, without measurement of some kind, there is no way to determine that something "be."

Temporal and spatial measurement require an observer to define points in relation to each other.
Aren't these just "states of being", for lack of a better term?

To messily paraphrase Satre, the perception of being and distinguishment from and of other beings does not likely speak of the whole of the observed being; does this make being inherent, or being a product of awareness?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Aren't these just "states of being", for lack of a better term?

Sure, but what is "being" without being a state? In order to discuss being, we are forced to describe it in its own state. It is rather like how Heidegger declares that in order to describe Nothing, we must make it into Something.

I think that's what you mean, right?

To messily paraphrase Satre, the perception of being and distinguishment from and of other beings does not likely speak of the whole of the observed being; does this make being inherent, or being a product of awareness?

I would suggest that Being is a product of, and necessary for awareness. It can be both, right? In order to Be, there must be a relationship. In order for there to be a relationship, there must be an observer to relate the two things. In order for awareness, there must something Be to be aware of.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I think their is some confusion between "self-aware" and "sapient".
A porcupine is "self-aware" and is therefor a "being".
However, the porcupine is not "sapient". It is not an "intelligent being" .

Edited-Thanks Storm

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Actually, tumbleweed, a porcupine is sentient. It's not sapient.

To the OP, I use "being" as synonymous with "entity," though I'm not sure how helpful the dictionary is:
en⋅ti⋅ty –noun, plural -ties.
1. something that has a real existence; thing: corporeal entities.
2. being or existence, esp. when considered as distinct, independent, or self-contained: He conceived of society as composed of particular entities requiring special treatment.
To me, it means something like "creature" or "life form," only stripped of the implication of biological life. It's all rather vague, sorry.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Actually, tumbleweed, a porcupine is sentient. It's not sapient.

To the OP, I use "being" as synonymous with "entity," though I'm not sure how helpful the dictionary is:
en⋅ti⋅ty –noun, plural -ties.
1. something that has a real existence; thing: corporeal entities.
2. being or existence, esp. when considered as distinct, independent, or self-contained: He conceived of society as composed of particular entities requiring special treatment.
To me, it means something like "creature" or "life form," only stripped of the implication of biological life. It's all rather vague, sorry.

My bad, I need to wake up this morning!!!:sleep:

Gonna edit it to get it right, thanks Storm.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
No worries, it's a common mistake. The only reason I remember is because one of my bedtime stories was The Fuzzy Papers, which revolved around the question of sapience.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

So... a relation relationship.

I can't disagree. ;)